Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel after sleeve surgery

HI

I am scheduled to have surgery on Dec 14th. My question is this - my husband and i are planning a trip to Thailand about 7 weeks after surgery. Assuming all is ok after my surgery and that everything is going according to schedule, is that too soon to take a big vacation, or should it be ok? We can't really push it off any later than that, so if we don't go then, we can't go at all this year.

Those of you who are after surgery - what do you think?

Thanks!

[quoteThose of you who are after surgery - what do you think?

Thanks!

I'm pre-surgery myself, but my gf had the surgery last January in Mexico, traveled home to San Francisco area on day 4, and then flew to New York on day 11 post surgery. Her main complaint was that she tired easily. Pain was manageable and she relied on Muscle Milk Light for her Protein and calories. She was in New York for five days and then returned home to pack up her house and begin her move to Texas.

I think you'll be fine 7 weeks out from surgery unless there are any complications and as long as you can maintain Protein and liquid intakes.

Tracy

Thanks for your reply, Tracy. Hoping to hear more responses along the same line. I see you are also scheduled for surgery Dec 14th. Good luck!

Wow Sarita...I didn't even realize you're having your's on the same day.. we'll be sleeve-sisters!

Best of luck on everything!

Tracy

Sarita - welcome to VST and congrats on your upcoming surgery. I don't see that you would have any problems whatsoever traveling 7 weeks post-op - by then you should be well into normal food (considering my post-op diet here of 10 days clears, 10 days fulls, 10 days mushies ... then normal food as tolerated). I'd say focus on your recovery and then start packing for your vacation and ENJOY!

Have a great trip. You will be feeling well by then. Eating "regular" foods. So, travel will not be a problem "sleeve-wise".

Here is the problem I forsee for you. Clothes. Seriously, after 6 weeks they are falling off of you. I was not going to buy any new clothes until I got to the size 10 or 12.

H A !

You will not want to be walking around in "clown" pants. And, they fall off sometimes.

I just went and bought 2 pair of size 16 (on sale at least). And 2 14/16 tops. Most of my 18/20 tops are ok. Dooable anyway. but, NONE of the 20/22 items are wearable with out laughing. (or being laughed at!) You would think streachy items would do, but, they really aren't as they get so long and hang funny. It is a good problem to have, but, dealing with it on a trip??? Hummm, might be a challenge. Maybe just take a couple of things that are too tight now and they may fit then?

I wish you the best of luck. It is worth it no matter the challenge.

Go on your trip! Enjoy.

provided there is no comlications, you will feel really great at 7 weeks out, more light and more energetic but go easy on the food. and follow your doctor's food plan. if you experienced intolerance to one food item, reintroduce it not before one month.

I imagine soft and pureed food will be going great.

Hey Carolyn

Thanks for your post. Sounds like an AMAZING problem to have to deal with - and I look forward to buying lots of new clothes on my way down!

Thanks to all for your reassurances. I thought it would be ok, the doctor said it would be ok to travel then, but then I started to get nervous. Who better to ask then all of you who have already gone through this!

And Tracy - it's great to have a sleeve-sister!

Sarita - don't buy lots of clothing on your way down - truly you won't be in them very long - buy a couple pair of dark pants or skirt and different tops/sweaters - things you can layer and switch around that will get you through that size ... eg - I bought dress pants 6 weeks ago - they are BIG and BAGGY on me and I now have to wear a belt with them to keep them from slipping down (so far not off, but am sure that could easily happen) - so buy a few things that will get you through until the next stage - also, there is a clothing recycle link on here, too, take advantage of it if possible.

Worse case scenario, you have to find Protein drinks to supplement your Protein. I didn't tolerate solids until about 9 weeks out and I still managed to travel two states away / plan a wedding for my son and daughter in law (her mother is deceased) and travel back with my four year old granddaughter. You just have to plan for whatever is happening with your sleeve.

The clothes thing is so neat. I went from 18s to 12 in just 7 weeks. Now I am stuck but still loosing inches.....

Have fun - it is very doable.

I was in Thailand in July, and I would wait to buy clothes over there. Many of the clothes are styles where the size is adjustable. (you will appreciate that as you slim down) The clothes are comfy and....very, very inexpensive, but not "cheaply made"! I loved the styles--quality clothes at a fraction of the cost. So, when you pack to leave for Thailand, pack lightly. Have fun, and Suwatika!

Barring any complications, you should feel fine. Just stick to the diet. I'd take along some packets of Protein Powder. Occasionally my tummy gets "unhappy" and I have to revert to Protein Drinks for nourishment. That could happen if you try out some spicy Thai foods on your trip (which is what I would do!...I love Thai food but have not had any yet since surgery.)

I am 2 days post op and I feel that once I get the drain out, i could definitely travel. In fact, I will be traveling back to the US (from Dominican Republic) - Flying to Florida for a few days and then do WI back home. The only thing I would recommend is to keep the carrying of heavy weights down to a mininum.

enjoy your trip!

hello , I was sleeved on Dec 5th ,2009 in Syria. 4 days post surgery I took a taxi to Lebanon which is 3 hours drive . 10 days post surgery I tooka flight to Vancouver BC. which is about 16 hours flight and around 24 hours in total with airport waiting time. It was a tough flight to be honest with u , I had apple juice and orange juice on the plane as I was still on Clear Liquids. I think it will be easier for u as u will be able to eat regular food in small portions. reduce the weight of ur handbags as much as u could and good luck.