Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two-week Stall?

Hi everyone... I had my surgery on Nov. 10 and weighed myself a week after, and found I had lost 11 pounds. This week I weighed myself and the scale hasn't budged. I know that stalls are normal later on after surgery, but did anyone have this problem so early on? I am getting 60 grams of Protein a day and eating around 900 calories, walking as much as I can, and drinking TONS of Water.

I guess I'm just worried that since every other attempt at weight loss I've tried has failed, this one will fail too. :001_rolleyes:

Carrie - First off, welcome to VST; we're very happy to have you join us!

A stall at 2 weeks is possible - it depends on what you are eating. I had a stall once I started on mushies - which was about 3 weeks after surgery. I'm not 5.5 months out and have had one or two other stalls; however, even if the scale isn't budging, the inches seem to be melting off.

Take your measurements and when you get discouraged because the scale isn't moving, take them again - I BET you'll see inches lost.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged -- the majority of us have at one time or another had our doubts that this surgery would work for us if we worked the tool -- IT WILL WORK!

Hi! And welcome to the boards!

Congratulations on your surgery- and don't beat yourself up! You're far tooo early out to be getting stressed!

The sleeve will work-

Keep a positive attitute and follow the rules... and it will happen!!

It sounds like you're doing the right things, so be patient... you didn't put the weight on overnight... and it will take a little while, but it will come off!!

And it will go faster than you think!

Beginning at 17 days post-op, I had a stall that lasted 13 days (I thought it was only 11, but actually went back to count and it was 13). Towards the end it got kind of difficult, but I did stop weighing myself daily and that sort of helped. Good luck...it will pass eventually and like VA said, take measurements.

You're still healing so your body is probably holding onto fluids for awhile longer. Give yourself time. I don't think this is really a stall; it's your body's way of saying I'm holding onto fluids until my tummy heals and I figure out that you're not starving me. Then I'll be OK and let go of all these fluids. You're not even a month out yet. Be patient.

Hi everyone... I had my surgery on Nov. 10 and weighed myself a week after, and found I had lost 11 pounds. This week I weighed myself and the scale hasn't budged. I know that stalls are normal later on after surgery, but did anyone have this problem so early on? I am getting 60 grams of Protein a day and eating around 900 calories, walking as much as I can, and drinking TONS of Water.

I guess I'm just worried that since every other attempt at weight loss I've tried has failed, this one will fail too. :)

I was sleeved Dec. 1st. Exactly like you first week I lost 11 lbs. I'm in the first day of my second week, and I seemed to have stalled already.

I did so a little cheating, I ate some refried Beans the 4th day, mashed potatoes the 5 day, and a few crackers the 6th day. I haven't been drinking that much Water, but I have had some sugar free juices, and lite juices. I'm afraid the lite juices my have too much sugar in them. I've only walked 3 days out of 7 outside, but I did walk over a mile all three times.

And rain kept me from walking the other 2 days. I took it easy the first 2 days. Dunno what the deal is..maybe cheating did it for me. But don't sound like you did at all. I wish I knew. Maybe some of our sisters will tell us what we are doing wrong.

Judy:001_huh:

You're not doing anything wrong, except that mushy foods should only be started when your doctor gives you the go ahead and all docs are different. After I lost 12 pounds I had a little stall - a few days - and started thinking "boy I did all this just to lose 12 pounds!" Of course that wasn't true. Your stomach needs to HEAL, ladies, and your body will hold onto fluids to surround the healing parts. When that's no longer needed, the fluids will let go and the fat will go with them. You guys need to be patient. I know that might be a foreign word in some people's vocabulary, but keep it in mind. In fact, I basically already posted this in response to the other poster.:)

It is very encouraging to read that there is a stall within 3-4 weeks after your Sleeve surgery. I had my surgery on 11-20-09 and lost total of 23 lbs ib 12/11/09. This morning I weighed myself and found that I had gained 4 lbs. I must admit that I haven't gotten all Protein in daily, about 32-40 oz of Water, and very little exercise. I know I must get Protein, Water, and exercise in daily. After reading most of the posts today, I am truly inspired to restart my plan and stay on it. You are right it is a lifestyle change. Change is hard, not making excuses, but I have been eating all the wrong foods, not drinking water, or exercising for 5 years or so.

Since I had my surgery I get on my treadmill and only able to walk at normal speed about 7 minutes. It is very discouraging because I should be able to do more. I eat less food but have to remember to chew my food thoroughly and take small bites. Didn't do that before, so I have to remind myself to do it.

Getting my protein in is the hardest of them all, because I am not a milk drinker, dont like any of the Protein drinks, and having a hard time processing meat. I am really constipated and have not been able to go to the bathroom for BM for days at a time. I am not a big water drinker, I start out really good in the morning, but by afternoon not doing so well.

Any suggestions on foods that will allow me to get a large amount of protein. I am going to do better with water. Also, any suggestions on helping me get more cardio in and doing better on my treadmill. Mostly have cramps in my calves after walking for 2-3 minutes.

Thanks

Yes, you need some help. Are you working with a nutritionist or were you evaluated by a nutritionist before you had the surgery? If not, then ask your doctor's office to offer some advice on diet, etc. As you say, this is a life-changing event. You can't continue to eat like you use to and think, Oh, I'll just eat LESS of the wrong foods. No! That's not how it works. I've lost 70 pounds and I have not exercised at all. That's not in my best interest, but I'm lazy, so I'm shrinking but my muscle tone is for crap. I need to work on that. Right now, just concentrate on getting your Protein in and enough fluids. Doesn't have to be Water, but does have to be enough fluids so you're not dehydrating. Muscle cramps in your calves sounds like dehydration or Calcium deficiencies, to me, but I'm no doctor. I started my pre-op with the Medifast plan and I have continued with it. It takes the guess work out of "what am I going to eat today?" I also take supplements which I buy from womentowomen.com Yes they can be pricy, but my health is worth it. Check out both programs and see if anything interests you. Medifast works, and people lose weight with it even without surgery, but it's a lot easier with the surgery. Yes, it's expensive, but you're not buying so much food at the market so it's a trade off. Whatever you choose to do, we're here to support and help you, but all the decisions for a new and more healthy you start in your head. It's a re-education process so give yourself time to evaluate what's more important to you - your health or your old habits. I'm sure you know which it is.

I was sleeved Dec. 1st. Exactly like you first week I lost 11 lbs. I'm in the first day of my second week, and I seemed to have stalled already.

I did so a little cheating, I ate some refried Beans the 4th day, mashed potatoes the 5 day, and a few crackers the 6th day. I haven't been drinking that much Water, but I have had some sugar free juices, and lite juices. I'm afraid the lite juices my have too much sugar in them. I've only walked 3 days out of 7 outside, but I did walk over a mile all three times.

And rain kept me from walking the other 2 days. I took it easy the first 2 days. Dunno what the deal is..maybe cheating did it for me. But don't sound like you did at all. I wish I knew. Maybe some of our sisters will tell us what we are doing wrong.

Judy:001_huh:

From what you say, you are not following the rules. juice is very high in carbohydrates. Mashed potatoes and crackers are pure carbohydrates. Once you start following the diet and eliminate the carbs, eat the required Proteins and sugar-free fluids, you will lose weight. Gotta make the commitment if you want it to work.

Besides shakes are there any suggestions on different types of food containing high Protein?

greek yogurt is good as a mushy.

Once you start regular food, fish, meat, poultry, salmon, sardines, tuna, cheese, Beans, eggs (some folks don't tolerate eggs so start with soft boiled if you try them)