Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you crave sweets?

I'm not post surgery yet, but I will be soon. I've always been overweight since 1st grade! I've always made pretty good food choices though, just the wrong portions.I do however have the biggest sweet tooth!!!! I like to eat something sweet after almost every meal! Can anyone offer advice about how to get away from this?

how were your sweet cravings after surgery?

how much candy/cookies whatever, can you stomach NOW?

I'm hoping my need for sweet will diminish after surgery.... advice please!

At first, after surgery I couldn't even think about sweets, and believe me, I am a sweet lover! But as time passes, it is harder to avoid them. Now I am 4 1/2 months post op and I treat myself every now and then to something sweet. I can tolerate a small amount. BUT, and it's a big one, last week I ate a Large chocolate cookie, one of those that you pay like $2.00 for, it was great, until a few minutes after. Then wham! nausea, reflux and boy did I wish I hadn't eaten it. So, from personal experience, yes you can have some sweets after the sleeve, but very minimal, or be prepared to suffer!

that's great to know! does everyone experience this sensitivity to sweets? what about time for digestion/feeling hungry again?

I feel like I digest things so fast and I'm hungry in an hour or two! It sucks!

I have not had any interest in sweets since having my surgery in April. I can honestly say, they completely turn me off. I know many others have said the same thing as well.

For me, it depends on the type and how much of it I try to eat. The first bite is usually ok, then it goes downhill from there. I have drank 1/2 a chocolate shake, but it was too rich, and that was all I could tolerate, haven't tried another one since..it will kinda of make you feel nauseated and digusted if you go overboard.

I do not crave sweets at all like I did before surgery. I could not even think of eating a whole cookie or a piece of cake or a regular sized candy bar. I think that food has finally become something to keep me alive rather than something that I have to have every 2 hours because I am starving. I am not worried about food and I don't crave it or think about it ever waking moment anymore. The sleeve is a miracle for me.

It's an individual thing. I had my vit. D level checked because I hear that a low Vit. D causes cravings for sweets. Mine was low. I crave sweets a lot and I still eat them. My friend who is sleeved also still craves sweets and eats a lot of candy.< /strong>

Edited by Oregondaisy

Interesting..because somedays I really crave sweets, but you guys know we can't eat very much of it, because of our little stomachs. So, don't be so hard on yourself if you have a little sweet here and there. I have a deal with myself, if I get in two Protein shakes, my Water, and stay at 800 calories, I can eat anything I want.

But, if you are like me, you will learn the hard way what your body likes and doesn't like. For me, fried rice and chow mein cause horrible barfing.

You become so much more sensitive to the tastes of food, you can really tell if something was made with cheap ingredients..ugh.

A bite of pumpkin pie is no biggie, to me, anyways. It's after that it can become a problem, so I am journaling again, and made this deal with myself.

Your appetite returns slowly, and the cravings come back slowly, but you will never be able to eat the quantities like before, so YAY!! That is why we did this, right?

Edited by Steph_123

I can't say that I really "crave" sweet things. I had a couple of miniature/fun size Snickers and Twix bars over the Halloween weekend. But, for the most part, I pass on Desserts, or other sweets.

I'm 5.5 months out, and still have no real appetite. I find that I want salty, crunchy stuff instead of sweets more than anything else.

I was extremely sensitive to sweets after surgery. Anything with aspartame or splenda, made my stomach turn, and tastebuds were furious with me when I tried stuff that was sweet.

I rarely eat more than 3 "meals" per day. Those meals consist of no more than 3-5oz of food per meal. I eat anything and everything that I want. I make better choices now because of the sleeve. It makes it much easier to deal with what I'm going to end up eating. I stay full for a minimum of 2-3 hours after I eat. Now, if I drink a bunch of Water after a meal then I find that I could eat again sooner. I only wait 30 minutes to drink after eating. If I waited like an hour to drink, I would be full longer.

If I were you, knowing that sweets had such a stronghold on me, I would start cutting them out NOW. Don't wait until you have surgery because it will be more of a mental battle rather than physical during the post-op diet. If you can stop eating something sweet after every meal now, I truly believe you will find it much easier to deal with it after surgery. Make a goal for yourself. Maybe, between now and surgery time, or until you have to start the pre-op diet, you will not have sweets except once a day. Give yourself something, but stop the overindulging now.

I can't stand anything that's very sweet at all -- now and again I'll eat something that is dark chocolate as it doesn't appear to be as sweet - but if I feel the need to eat a cookie or something like that, I will generally only take 1/4 of it and that is more than enough to cure any 'sweet' craving I have -- I'm like Tiff -- I prefer salty and crunchy over anything sweet.

Hey there,

I'm only 6 days post op but let me tell you that SWEETS was one of my biggest problem area. If I could eat pizza and ice-cream daily I would be happy. If I could have a cookie or 2 with my coffee then I would be happy.... I am amazed that yesterday I had some f. free raspberry yogurt and that was super sweet to me. It is really early for me but if this is any indication of the control the sleeve will bring to me than I'm already thinking it's 100% worth it. I think mentally I will miss my time with my sweets and it will be nice to allow myself one bite with a sip of coffee when out with girlfriends.. it's a social thing as well but honestly if I'd rather not have the experience of going to far so I'm not even going to try unless I develop some crazy craving down the road.

:)

~Chandra

my answer is a bit different from the others.... I was never a chocolate lover... I was a volume eater. but not sweets, meat and tators or anything fried.

I'm 9 months out, and I have stayed away from all the things that I knew were my "problems", so when I tried chocolate for the first time about 6-7 months out, I didn;t think it would be a problem..........BUT IT IS!

I wish I had never had the first piece. Now especially when pre menstrual.. I want cholate, and its a slider food, so I don't get that full feeling.. no effect at all.

So I have to work at staying away from the cholate.

I'm not post surgery yet, but I will be soon. I've always been overweight since 1st grade! I've always made pretty good food choices though, just the wrong portions.I do however have the biggest sweet tooth!!!! I like to eat something sweet after almost every meal! Can anyone offer advice about how to get away from this?

how were your sweet cravings after surgery?

how much candy/cookies whatever, can you stomach NOW?

I'm hoping my need for sweet will diminish after surgery.... advice please!

I have always been a big fan of sweets and pop......im 13 days post op now and I havent even wanted anything sweet.......before op I was drinking those "ensure " drinks everyday and now they seem so sweet I cant drink them.......

Me too Chancie. I can eat a lot of chocolate and it's just like the old days. Nothing has changed in that respect.

I still crave sweets and I still eat them, but my portions are small so it hasn't made much of a difference.

Ice cream is another story. I crave ice cream, but if I eat much of it, I am sick. I can eat one scoop, but more than that and it's massive diarrehea. I am pretty sure it's a

combination of sweets/fats. I seem to get that if eat anything rich that is high in sugar and high in fat.