Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trouble with stitch infected

I have one suture site that won't heal up. I thought I had caused it because of wearing an underwire bra. It was all pussy and I would drain clean it with alcohol each morning and night. then I got to going around braless~not pretty at this stage~ anyway, got the infection cleared up and in cleaning the site yesterday it is still open! 5 weeks post op. Well, looking in I think I see a blue thread. I tried to get it up to the surface with tweesers, but no luck. I guess I will go to the Dr. on Monday? Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do? Of course I had to discover this on the weekend. Is there anything that will disolve the stitch? All my other wounds are healing nicely. Just the one under the left boobie is a problem.

I had the same issue when I had my band surgery. Mine got really disgusting, and it took forever to heal. I could see a suture underneath a layer of skin down in the hole, and all my surgeon did was make me change the dressing, and do hydrotherapy (use my shower massager thing a couple times a day to increase circulation to the area). It closed up temporarily then opened again a couple of weeks later, and he finally put me on antibiotics. That resolved the issue.

I never got that suture removed.

Update! Today, 11/24/09 I finally got that darn stitch out. YEah! Now I will finally get this last site to heal and can go in the pool to start my exercise. (bad knees, Water exercise and bike only) I am so happy happy happy!

I have an incision that is infected as well. It's not because of a stitch still being in there. I'm only 5 days post-op. My pcp gave me a shot in the butt, cultured it, a script for some antibiotics and wants to see me again in the morning to see if they will have to reopen it, drain and pack it. I really hope these antibiotics do the trick.

Wow, I hope the anitbiotics do the trick for you!

GinGin: Tiffy had to go on a round of antibotics and it worked for her. I was on a round of A/B's right after surgery. I did not want to do another. Sounds like you are on the right path. Hope it works for you. THese infections are nasty little buggers. I kept mine cleaned out twice a day with alcohol and loosly bandaged. It helped, but, until I got that stitch out it was a bit painful. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dr said it looks like the antibiotics are doing the trick and I wont need to have it reopened and drained, thank goodness! I'll see her again on Monday to make sure its still healing nicely and to get my stitches out. Thanks everyone.

Is this common? Im really squeamish and trying to figure if I will have to:

1) remove my own stitches? (Planning to go to Mexico)

2) suffer from an infection?

I would just die if I had to have a wound reopened to be repaired.

I had a fallopian tube removed laproscopically about 8 years ago. It hurt like crap, but I had sutures that dissolved. Although I was afraid to look at them (did I mention Im pretty squeamish??) I did clean them as best I could, because they told me all kinds of crap could happen and I would be back in the hospital.

Im looking forward to surgery in February, but Im just now getting frightened. Im sure there's much more to worry about. Sorry, but I HAD to get that out.

Thanks!:)

I had a fallopian tube removed laproscopically about 8 years ago. It hurt like crap, but I had sutures that dissolved. Although I was afraid to look at them (did I mention Im pretty squeamish??) I did clean them as best I could, because they told me all kinds of crap could happen and I would be back in the hospital.

Im looking forward to surgery in February, but Im just now getting frightened. Im sure there's much more to worry about. Sorry, but I HAD to get that out.

Thanks!:001_tongue:

I have been there and I continue to have concerns and issues....just stay with this message board and keep asking questions and let all your fears be known. We are all here to help and there are some very keen people here who've been through so much with WLS and many who have some expertise in many areas. Being connected to a support system such as this will help you get through your worries. Stay connected. Have peace.

i am on night 5 in the hospital for a post op infection. after cultures, blodwork i am now in isolation because they found an organism. four of my five incisions were infected pussy and need painful packing and draining.

i followed all post op diretions. i stayed 2 days in recovery house then went to spotless hotel in San Diego before going home. i am typing with 2 fingers bc i have ivs in both arms. bc of fevers i am dehydrated and my veins keep blowing. i was poked 12 times y

today

. i dont know expenses but i havent seen my kids for 5 days now

two others returned with site infections as well but i was most severd. this is so sad and maddening. i am even to weaak to be mad.

gretted

i am on night 5 in the hospital for a post op infection. after cultures, blodwork i am now in isolation because they found an organism. four of my five incisions were infected pussy and need painful packing and draining.

i followed all post op diretions. i stayed 2 days in recovery house then went to spotless hotel in San Diego before going home. i am typing with 2 fingers bc i have ivs in both arms. bc of fevers i am dehydrated and my veins keep blowing. i was poked 12 times y

today

. i dont know expenses but i havent seen my kids for 5 days now

two others returned with site infections as well but i was most severd. this is so sad and maddening. i am even to weaak to be mad.

gretted

I'm so very sorry to hear that you are having to go through all of this mess. Where did you have your surgery?

Have they given you an idea on when you will be released?

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know how draining complications can be. Stay strong, and keep us posted.

Thanks!:blink:

Where are you having your surgery? If you have it done by Dr. Aceves in Mexico there are no stitches to be removed - the incisions are covered with surgical tape and you just wash the area with antibacterial soap until they fall off and then was the incisions the same way until they are totally healed.

I wish they would use the disolvable stiches. I hated removing my own stiches. I had a Dr. at home try after I had messed it up. He got most of them but one was left. It took until week 5 post op to finally get that sucker out. Once it was gone, no problem healing. One of my other suture sites opened up when I took out the stiches. That one took a long time to scab, re-scab and finally heal. Sounds like Dr. Aceves uses either surgical glue or disolvable sutures. I hope Dr. Almanza switches to that kind soon.