Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when to start protein shakes and when to stop?

hi all, my doctor advised me to stay away from Protein Shakes first month.

I can see all people here take Protein shakes or Isopure. when should I incorporate them in my diet. is it during the puree soft food stage. I think we have to take them temporarily until we are able to get our Proteins from regular solid food.< /p>

also I am lost in so many flavours? which one is the best? chocolate? banana? caramel? Cappuccino?

waiting for your replies

love you all.

Sweetie333 -- I didn't drink Protein shakes at all post-op - they were either too thick, too sweet, made with milk which made me sick ... so I just found other options to get my Protein in -- so Protein Shakes are not a necessity - just an easy way to get in your protein.

As for flavors - that will be a personal choice - for what tastes good to one, may not taste good to you -- your best bet would be to order a lot of different sample sizes and see which ones you like/tolerate the best.

I agree with Vegas Angel. There is a thread in the food section, rate your liquids, and there are two places in there that show all the places you can order samples. I like the whey gourmet Peanut Butter and chocolate, and there are several others I like.

If you're just starting to experiment with Protein drinks, you should order some samples.

I started Isopure in the hospital, post-op day 2. I think they taste terrible, so I would add them to Crystal Lite when I got home. I saw my doctor about day 10 and he advanced me to Protein Shake, but I buy the mixed liquid ones in a can called World Wide Pure Protein. chocolate flavor is the best to me. 35 grams of protein, only 2 grams of sugar and 170 calories. He had me on clears and Protein Shakes until day 14 (that is no food at all), when I could have a bit of a scrambled egg. I am 10 months out and I still have a protein shake a day. I could not get the 50 or so grams of protein just eating. Of course it sounds as if your surgeon has a different program, so I would be compliant and do whatever he says.

Vegas - what did you do for your Protein instead? I need options, I think!

While I was on clears, I drank the SpecialK Water, I didn't really worry too much about Protein while on clears and fulls. When I started on mushies, I would blend some cottage cheese with an egg and a little mayonaise (sounds gross, but was actually good); string cheese was easy for me to get down; the little cans of chicken salad blended, also made egg drop with tofu Soup (recipe is in the recipe section) which was really tasty. That's all I can remember right now, if I think of other things I ate, I will be sure to let you know!

Angel, first thanks for replying my post. can u give me an advice for eggs? How do u prefer to eat them after the surgery. I Love eggs.

I've always eaten my eggs scrambled; however they didn't seem to go down so easy in the beginning. Poached worked the best. Hardboiled and then blended with a little mayo (and cottage cheese) was good too. There is also a ricotta bake recipe that is wonderful and contains eggs and cheese. Also, someone mentioned that egg beaters scrambled seems to go down easier than the real thing. I had scrambled eggs the other day and didn't have any issues with them - however, I am now 5 months out. Hope this helps - if you have other questions, let me know.