Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Lost All Desire to Eat!! Please help!

I'm almost 7 weeks out. Today is the second day in a row that I am not wanting to eat! I am repulsed by the thought of food, any food. Last week I was at least enjoying some different foods in very small amounts, and even if I had trouble eating at least I had desire for certain food. Yesterday I could not eat the strawberry greek yogurt I took out for Breakfast, after one lick from a teaspoon I nearly gagged. I then managed to force down a small peach autivia yogurt but it was not with ease. Even the smell of most of the things I had found appealing are repulsive. I am only able to sip on one flavor Vitamin Water and one brand of Protein Drink which is a fruit juice blend called "naked Protein zone", even this is hard. Has this ever happened to anyone here? Will it pass? Who should I call, doctor or dietitian? Could it be a side effect of something? I have been having such trouble already and now this too? If there is anyone out there who may have gone through this or can advise please do. I'm really upset. Thank you.

Hi Lan-

Yes- I went thru this too. Do you have different Protein powders that you can try>? you do need to get in your protein and your fluids.

I still to this day CANNOT eat breakfast, and was getting tired of cold Protein Drinks in the morning- so I found a Cookies and cream Protein Powder that I use in my coffee-I didn't start drinking coffee again until about 6 months out. But at least I was getting in 50 grams of protein in the morning.( two scoops split up into 3 cups of coffee)

I was one of the ones that had a difficult time eating food- so just experiment- things that you once loved you may not like so much now and visa versa-

I also found some Protein Shots with 100 cal.-0 fat, 0 carbs and 25 grams of protein. that helped me along.

Good luck

Lan -

I had that problem too - sometimes still do - not sure what brings it on, but there were times when I just couldn't bring myself to eat/drink something I had fixed. Generally when I got/get that way, I make sure to get in my fluids and then I find anything I can tolerate - seems string cheese seemed to go down easy. I tried to get in as much Protein as I could; although I didn't always get in my 60-70 gms. Staying hydrated is the most important thing; although you need to give your body nutrients, too -- hang in there, this too shall pass.

HI I am new, I appreciate everyone's candid disclosures, it is very generous and lovely to see the support it brings about.

Though I haven't had any wls yet, I can offer some advice about the anxiety. Maybe today you can try to let it be that you have lost all desire to eat. You mentioned checking in with your docs office right? They said sometimes the swelling takes longer to go down for some people right?

OK, so thats how it is today. Sounds like it happens to lots of people some days.

For today it isnt a problem. Dont worry that if it continues it may become a problem, that hasnt happened yet and may not happen at all. dont worry about tomorrow, just think about today and today it isnt a problem.

Perhaps focus more on other things today and just take the minimum amount of your drinks and Water that is necessary, whatever that is. light teas broth etc. I think a large part of your problem is the anxiety and breaking that cycle may be more beneficial than force feeding yourself at this time. Also, Reglan is a drug that produces a very serious restless anxiety response in some individuals that has the potential to progress to hallucinations. It is without doubt grounds for being given an alternate med. If you are still on it, I recommend telling the doctor you are having a severe anxiety reaction to the med and it needs to be changed. I doubt he will give you a problem. In the meantime, ask him if you can take some otc bendryl to counteract the effect of the reglan already in your system. Disclaimer here, I am not an MD so this isnt medical advice, I am a psychotherapist and these suggestions come from my experience working together with MD's in treating our joint clients)

As everyone is saying, relaxation is chemically important. However, just telling yourself to relax will probably only make it worse. Dont focus on the state of your mind, focus on doing an activity that physically brings about relaxation. A short stroll, a bit of knitting, drawing, yoga. Just do it without worrying how you "feel". Do it in 15 min increments and try to let go of everything else just for those 15 mins. TV, movies and books are not the best when one is as anxious as you describe. I would also suggest refraining from absorbing any peripheral stress by keeping your news reading light and staying away from any TV news. Believe me, if something really big happens, you'll find out about it :-). Hope some of that is helpful.

Hi Lan-

Yes- I went thru this too. Do you have different Protein powders that you can try>? you do need to get in your Protein and your fluids.

I still to this day CANNOT eat breakfast, and was getting tired of cold protein drinks in the morning- so I found a Cookies and cream protein powder that I use in my coffee-I didn't start drinking coffee again until about 6 months out. But at least I was getting in 50 grams of protein in the morning.( two scoops split up into 3 cups of coffee)

I was one of the ones that had a difficult time eating food- so just experiment- things that you once loved you may not like so much now and visa versa-

I also found some Protein Shots with 100 cal.-0 fat, 0 carbs and 25 grams of protein. that helped me along.

Good luck

Hey Chancie, Thanks for sharing your own experiences like this. At the moment I'm sort of hard pressed to try any protein powders--since the surgery I cannot tolerate any of them and I although I can't say I've tried them all, I've tried many-flavors like chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, latte, all those formerly delicious to me have been repulsive since day one out of surgery. I literally gag at the taste of a protein shot or Isopure drink...so I have been drinking the only drink I am able to tolerate (although I am tired of it) that is the "Naked Protein Zone" drink. It's a real fruit juice blend with added whey and soy for protein, 30 grams protein per 15oz. bottle. When I was begining to eat actual foods I was getting in alot more protein through chicken, fish...etc. but now this inability to eat any food at all has me stuck with the naked Protein Drink :001_tongue:. I really am sad. I just hope this passes very soon. Thanks again.

Lan -

I had that problem too - sometimes still do - not sure what brings it on, but there were times when I just couldn't bring myself to eat/drink something I had fixed. Generally when I got/get that way, I make sure to get in my fluids and then I find anything I can tolerate - seems string cheese seemed to go down easy. I tried to get in as much Protein as I could; although I didn't always get in my 60-70 gms. Staying hydrated is the most important thing; although you need to give your body nutrients, too -- hang in there, this too shall pass.

Thanks Vegas, After reading many posts on how well string cheese goes with most, I had been looking forward to trying it myself and then........this awful loss of appetite now the thought of any cheese at all is revolting. I do hope this will indeed pass. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, it helps.

Hi Lan-

o I found a Cookies and cream Protein powder that I use in my coffee-I didn't start drinking coffee again until about 6 months out. But at least I was getting in 50 grams of Protein in the morning.( two scoops split up into 3 cups of coffee)

Good luck

Hello Chancie! Can you tell me the name of those protein powders and shots? I would love to look them up and see whats in them and maybe get the chance to try them.

hi Joon-

I use body Fortress whey Protein CookisN'Cream- I found it at Wal-Mart and I use it daily in my coffee. They also have a protein shot ( body Fortress) that I also found at Wal-Mart. It only comes in fruit juice flavor, but I like it reall well... no Vitamin taste.

The first Protein shot I tried was from Profect... that I got on line and I don't like it at all! Yucky vitamin aftertaste... but I used it until I found the Body Fortress ones.

Thanks! I'll look for those! I am planning for Early Jan so I am starting my preparations now of finding the correct drinks, powders etc to have on hand. I want to avoid dairy, gluten and sugar so it takes a bit of planning to make sure I have what I need.

HI I am new, I appreciate everyone's candid disclosures, it is very generous and lovely to see the support it brings about.

Though I haven't had any wls yet, I can offer some advice about the anxiety. Maybe today you can try to let it be that you have lost all desire to eat. You mentioned checking in with your docs office right? They said sometimes the swelling takes longer to go down for some people right?

OK, so thats how it is today. Sounds like it happens to lots of people some days.

For today it isnt a problem. Dont worry that if it continues it may become a problem, that hasnt happened yet and may not happen at all. dont worry about tomorrow, just think about today and today it isnt a problem.

Perhaps focus more on other things today and just take the minimum amount of your drinks and Water that is necessary, whatever that is. light teas broth etc. I think a large part of your problem is the anxiety and breaking that cycle may be more beneficial than force feeding yourself at this time. Also, Reglan is a drug that produces a very serious restless anxiety response in some individuals that has the potential to progress to hallucinations. It is without doubt grounds for being given an alternate med. If you are still on it, I recommend telling the doctor you are having a severe anxiety reaction to the med and it needs to be changed. I doubt he will give you a problem. In the meantime, ask him if you can take some otc bendryl to counteract the effect of the reglan already in your system. Disclaimer here, I am not an MD so this isnt medical advice, I am a psychotherapist and these suggestions come from my experience working together with MD's in treating our joint clients)

As everyone is saying, relaxation is chemically important. However, just telling yourself to relax will probably only make it worse. Dont focus on the state of your mind, focus on doing an activity that physically brings about relaxation. A short stroll, a bit of knitting, drawing, yoga. Just do it without worrying how you "feel". Do it in 15 min increments and try to let go of everything else just for those 15 mins. TV, movies and books are not the best when one is as anxious as you describe. I would also suggest refraining from absorbing any peripheral stress by keeping your news reading light and staying away from any TV news. Believe me, if something really big happens, you'll find out about it :-). Hope some of that is helpful.

joon, Welcome to this forum and message board. Thank you so much for being here. Thank you for laying out some concrete instruction I am in desperate need of that. It's as though I am in need of someone to constructively structure my day, my every move, in a way that will bring healing. Often times I find myself frozen, just standing or sitting nearly crouched over paralyzed in thought thought of what to do or not knowing how, what or which way to move myself, help myself. I can't even cry. I want help, I need help and sometimes even when I reach out and visit with my surgeon I'm given pat answers...just this or that and you'll be fine. I went to one therapy session with a psychiatric nurse therapist, I did not even remotely feel hope as I walked out of there before leaving, she told me to call her again if I thought I could benefit. I have an appointment this Thursday with a very young psychologist who has a private practice locally and also works out of the bariatric WL department where I had my surgery...mostly with lap band and bypass patients. I really am trying to help myself.

Your advise on anxiety is so vital to me. As of yesterday I stopped the Regulan...I suspected as such since a year or more ago I'd been given it intravenously as a treatment in the ER for severe Migraine. It would be administered for about 20 minutes and usually the migraine would dissipate but each time I'd be flooded with anxiety immediately afterward.

Currently,since the VSG surgery, my surgeon had been administering regulan to me in the hospital for nausea prevention and then had me take it in pill (crushed) form ever since, he told me to take it since I have had problems with food kind of slowly going down etc. He said it helps to move the food through. When I questioned him at my last appointment, with regard to any possible side effect such as anxiety, he gently chuckled and said no no no just take the regulan, you'll be fine. I don't think he is aware of the potential side effect.

I'm stopping the regulan. I don't know if I will chance the otc benydrl (I am so afraid to try). My primary care physician is a wonderful compassionate woman and I will speak to her about this next week when I see her. She has prescribed xanax .5mgs 3x per day OR LESS, as needed since I know that drug,

although it immediately helps, can become a problem. She told me she will supervise my use of it however and I do trust her. I am wondering however if xanax may be the reason I've seemingly lost my desire to eat.

I will take your advise and get my body moving my body...I've been trying things like walks. It does help, somewhat (my mind still races with thought). I thank God you came on here. We all could benefit from someone like you. Please stay connected and thank you so very much for your thoughtful consideration and insight. God bless you.

ps- I stopped watching tv news I don't even look on the internet anymore. I used to delve and research, no can do- I live in dead silence and apprehension though.

I'm so glad you are seeing that psychologist. It sounds like you may be able to put to good use some of the tools he should give you. Take care

Lan-

I can relate to alot of what you are going thru........ but I didn't have ANYONE I could talk to thru alot of my issues...

I'm really glad you're optimistic and doing what you know you have to do.

I was really depressed last night, I took my son back to east TN.

(I live in W. TN.)

He's having some troubles, and his fahter passed away almost 2 years ago, we were always best of friends, and I cried a dozen tears last night wishing he was here to help me guide my son........and talk to me.

I have no friends here, and am alone. I'm not looking for pity or symphathy, just stating facts. We all need someone to talk to.

I don't know where I'm going with this, just wanting to let you know........ i DO understand. But we ultimatly, HAVE to make the decisions to change our destiny. No One else....... Just US.

Joon - GREAT ADVICE - thank you for offering that to Lan (and anyone else who may have the same issues)

Lan - I found 1 and only 1 Protein drink that I could finally tolerate and stayed down/in --someone here told me about OH YEAH -- I got it at GNC - only 1 bottle - it was $3.99 for just one - but I didn't want to spend alot until I knew if I could tolerate it/like it ... it was the Cookies and cream flavor - not too sweet, not too thick - lactose free -- I suggest you give it a try - it's way less carbs than the Naked juice you're drinking. Just a thought.

I really love the oh yeah choc. mint Protein bars.

I am sorry you are going through this Lan. I don't have any advice for you. I never lost my appetite.

Some days I did forget to eat, but it's just a habit for me to drink a Protein Drink every morning when I get up, as soon as I take all my Vitamins and supplements. After that, I may forget to eat until about 3:00 when I remember I forgot to eat lunch. If nothing sounds good, I'll have another Protein drink. There are several that I like.

I usually don't have much trouble eating, but a few times a week, I'll cook something and the smell will be repulsive. Just made a pot of cream of chicken Soup (2c soy milk, 2c chicken stock, chicken breast, clove of garlic, diced onion, gouda cheese, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, 2 tbsp flour) and it was amazing until I poured a cup and brought it up to my lips. Eww. Some days I should be sipping from a sippy cup so my nose won't derail my Protein attempts.

Wanna know my trick for days when I can't stand the thought of eating and everything makes me feel sick? Pork rinds. The kind I get are 33g of Protein for only 250 cals. It's a real lifesaver.. crunchy and light and go down really easy.