Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out and first really bad day

Today I've felt crappy all day. I feel a bit nauseous which has slowed down my Water intake. I haven't vomited but I definitely don't feel "well" when I drink. I feel a little sore in my abdomen that I didn't notice yesterday but if I'm able to pass gas it helps a little. I don't have a fever. My heart rate can get on the high side but it tended to race sometimes even before surgery.

I have a call into my doctor's for some nausea medication. I have an appt with him on Tuesday anyway, I'm hoping this is a bad day and not the beginning of something awful, like a leak. Yesterday I felt super and I might have overdid it a little.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

You are right to consult with your surgeon and let him know what you are feeling. My surgeon has me on regulan a medication for nausea and it helps with moving things through the system. There are also suppositories for nausea. Please don't think the worst and just take it one day at a time. Please keep us informed and let us know how things are in the next few days. Thanks for sharing it's important.

Today I've felt crappy all day. I feel a bit nauseous which has slowed down my Water intake. I haven't vomited but I definitely don't feel "well" when I drink. I feel a little sore in my abdomen that I didn't notice yesterday but if I'm able to pass gas it helps a little. I don't have a fever. My heart rate can get on the high side but it tended to race sometimes even before surgery.

I have a call into my doctor's for some nausea medication. I have an appt with him on Tuesday anyway, I'm hoping this is a bad day and not the beginning of something awful, like a leak. Yesterday I felt super and I might have overdid it a little.

Please keep me in your thoughts.

Sorry you're having a bad day. Keep us updated on how you are doing. I'll be praying for you!

Thanks for the kind replies. I feel a *little* better today. The surgeon's office called me back and there are 2 nurses there, a mean one and a nice one. I got the mean one, of course. Her only concern was if I had a fever and was sweating. I am not. She told me I'm not getting enough fluids in and the nausea can be from dehydration. I told her that I can't get my fluids down because of the nausea.

She asked what I was having for nutrition and I told her (there's a list of 6 or 7 "approved" things on the Stage 1 list). She said it's probably the shake I'm drinking and to change. I told her I already had changed once this week (per nice nurse's orders) and she said to change again and reminded me of what they said at the seminar about buying small quantities of things.

UGH!!!!!!! I am not an idiot! I know my body and I know I went from feeling almost 100% on Wednesday to less than 50% yesterday.

She said she'd ask the doctor if he wanted to prescribe me anything for the nausea. Thankfully, it hasn't been bad yet today. I'm starting with a SF popsicle like the nurse suggested and she said to focus more on fluids than the nutrients today.

If I still feel bad tomorrow, I'm going to the ER. I know a fever is not a conclusive symptom that it's a leak or something else. Just because I don't have one (yet, hoping not to at all) doesn't mean everything is a-ok.

For now, I'm feeling a little better so I truly hope it was just a bad day. Being so newly out from surgery though of course I'm going to question things that don't feel right.

Thank you for the support. I can't imagine how scary it would be without this board.

Thanks for the kind replies. I feel a *little* better today. The surgeon's office called me back and there are 2 nurses there, a mean one and a nice one. I got the mean one, of course. Her only concern was if I had a fever and was sweating. I am not. She told me I'm not getting enough fluids in and the nausea can be from dehydration. I told her that I can't get my fluids down because of the nausea.

She asked what I was having for nutrition and I told her (there's a list of 6 or 7 "approved" things on the Stage 1 list). She said it's probably the shake I'm drinking and to change. I told her I already had changed once this week (per nice nurse's orders) and she said to change again and reminded me of what they said at the seminar about buying small quantities of things.

UGH!!!!!!! I am not an idiot! I know my body and I know I went from feeling almost 100% on Wednesday to less than 50% yesterday.

She said she'd ask the doctor if he wanted to prescribe me anything for the nausea. Thankfully, it hasn't been bad yet today. I'm starting with a SF popsicle like the nurse suggested and she said to focus more on fluids than the nutrients today.

If I still feel bad tomorrow, I'm going to the ER. I know a fever is not a conclusive symptom that it's a leak or something else. Just because I don't have one (yet, hoping not to at all) doesn't mean everything is a-ok.

For now, I'm feeling a little better so I truly hope it was just a bad day. Being so newly out from surgery though of course I'm going to question things that don't feel right.

Thank you for the support. I can't imagine how scary it would be without this board.

I hate it when people treat you like an idiot...grrrr

I agree with you that you may have just done a bit too much on just 3 days post op. Take naps and don't be doing a lot of physical exertion right now...you just had major surgery so give the bod a break!

What kind of progressive diet does your doctor recommend? Backing it up sometimes helped me when I felt cruddy. I started solids this week and have some back pain so am backing up to mushies for a couple days to give the sleeve a rest. Sometimes it feels like two steps forward and one step back.

If "jane" is the nicer nurse, can you ask to speak with "jane" when you have to call?

Hope you feel better soon.

I agree. It's true that you can quite often trust your own instincts, but you are only a week out and it is early days. If you have a leak you will be really poorly. Are you on a PPI (is Nexium what you guys take over there?). Keep an eye on it but don't panic x

Cajun, that's great advice and exactly what I'm doing today. No treadmill, I'll rest if I need to. I've been only drinking fluids this morning (already have about 16 oz in plus 2 SF popsicles) and hardly any nausea. Swelling in belly feels like it's going down too.

Helen, I am on Pepcid AC every day (an acid blocker). It's the first thing I reach for in the morning since I already had terrible GERD before surgery.

Thank you all for indulging me. I feel a bit silly now that I seem on the mend. I'm a super compliant patient so I get scared when things aren't going as planned. Also, I am scheduled to go to Miami next week for a business trip and, as I'm self-employed, I have fears of not being able to make it and the cascade of events to follow.

I'm one week out. I need to relax, drink, and remember that I'm recovering. No more treadmill for the next few days, little walks outside only.

THANK YOU!