Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another one gets in the boat!

Hi all -

I finally decided to take the plunge and get sleeved. I've done the research, lost a ton of weight and then promptly gained 2/3's of it back. So I've finally gotten it through my thick head that 1) I can't do it "on my own" and 2) life is too short to keep putting off the one thing that might give me my life back.

I have had my first meeting with the surgical center. I go next week for an all day check where I will see several people - doctor, psychologist, diet expert. The idea of surgery scares me. The idea of not having surgery scares me more.

Now, here's the biggest surprise so far in my one-on-one with this place. I mentioned in the first meeting that I had joined weight watchers. I joined because I want to begin better eating habits now, not later. And I will feel much more confident going into surgery if I've lost 20 pounds between now and then. (They are telling me it will take 3 to 4 more months so 20 seems a reasonable goal if I do it by eating healthy, not "dieting".) Well, when I told them that they wrinkled up their noses and said I shouldn't have done it. I was very surprised. I thought it was a positive step in the right direction, they said the dietitian would probably ask me to quit and follow

his/her advice instead.

I've not quit WW yet. If they tell me to do so at my all day event, I will. But I want to make sure they really think I should not be going and it's not just the administrative people guessing. In this first week, without starving and just eating much, much better I have lost about 3 pounds. It's a positive change for me. Anyone else been told this?

Anyhoo, now that I've committed (read: put down non-refundable $$$ :001_tongue:) I'll be around some going forward. I'll ask a lot of questions. I tend to analyze things to death. I keep telling myself that I just need to be brave for 6 months, then I'll only need to be strong. Strong I can do. Brave can be difficult. :crying:

Later

Blcr

good for you. I like the attitude. Scary it is. Strong we shall be. Welcome to the boards. I was sleeved 10/15. Not even a week ago. I am fine. trying to find stuff I can drink. So, keep going and keep us posted. I am glad you have made the decision NOW. I sooooo wish it was available when I was younger/lighter. The damage to my knees would have been much less. sigh. anyhoo, onward and downward!

Wishing - welcome to VST and we'll be happy to have you around a lot more and will be happy to answer any questions you have ... we're here for you anytime you need us! Be sure and let us know what they say about WW.

Dear Wishing Hope-

I'm curious why they don't want you on Weight Watchers. You will have to ask and let us know. There is nothing wrong with WW if it works for you.

A lot of insurance companies want 6 months to a year of documented weight loss being attempted immediately before surgery. Perhaps they prefer you to be on their program so they can make more money? Some surgeons may want to see you try to lose weight under their program so they know that you are really serious about conforming to the dietary necessities after surgery. Could it be related to this?

Also, you have to be above a certain BMI for you insurance to approve surgery. Maybe they don't want you losing weight before the surgery?

At the end of the day, very few insurance companies will pay for VSG. After 6 months in the "documented weight loss attempt program," I found out I had wasted my time. I did a lot of research and decided that VSG was much better than Band or Bypass. My insurance company would pay for the Band or the Bypass. But why get a second best operation? This left me self-pay. Self-pay patients do not have to wait.

Find out right off the bat if your insurance company will pay for VSG before you waste a lot of time. Also, find out what their reasons are for diet matters.

Wishing you all the best.

Keep us posted.

On the one hand I'm frustrated that I waited so long to make this decision. My weight...loss and gain...is quite the story. 8 years ago I lost 165 pounds on my own

in 18 months. I kept the vast majority off for about 3 years but I cannot keep it off. Over the past years I've gained and gained. Basically, I got a taste of life then lost it again.

However, I also have to admit that I am very, very, very glad I did not have either a band or r-n-y. The entire time I was thinking about surgery I would think "why don't they have a middle ground". I just knew neither of them out there were really right for me. The minute I learned about the sleeve, I felt the fog clearing. The more I researched, the more I knew it was right for me. (All of this, especially about my losing and gaining the weight is very hard to admit but trying to change a lot of things and maybe this is one of them...telling the cold, hard truth.)

Now here's the great news. As of a few months ago, my insurance has decided to cover the sleeve!!!! A family medical crisis emptied my savings 2 years ago so I could not self pay. I can't even begin to explain the turmoil it all created. On the one hand, I was proud of myself because I helped family at a time they needed it. Then I realized I didn't have the money to save myself. So now, it all seems to be falling back into place. My insurance has told the program AND myself in separate calls that they now cover the sleeve and the program said they will have it in writing before my all day event. (Not that I specifically am covered but that they cover the sleeve.)

About the diet, they told me that I will only meet with the diet program folks 3 times between now and my surgery date assuming I have no major issues aside from overeating. I have no history of anorexia, bulimia or major binge eating. (I think most of us have little binges.) Based on that, only 3 diet visit. So the issue of not joining WW really is a mystery to me. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

And to WW....I lost 5.4 pounds my first week. You know how it is...the first week is always your big number. But even if I level out to 1-2 a week, I don't know how they could have an issue with it. But, as I said, I'll find out.

I hope to read everyone's stories and info and get excited. I need to turn nerves into excitement and try to enjoy this ride as a way to a new and better life.

Thanks all.