Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

My name is Tara, and I am having my surgery on 12/03/2009. I am very excited for the surgery, and have a great support group of family. My boyfriend got the Lap-Band surgery 4 months ago with Dr. Mario Almanza in Tijuana, Mexico.

His experience went quite well, and the only thing I regret now is that I did not go with him and get it done at the same time. However, it may be a good thing in the end because I believe VSG will be the better choice. I am currently at 240 pounds and have always struggled with my weight. I am ready to no longer worry of future health problems because of obesity. As I am sure many of us can testify, my genetics is a major part of my decision for surgery. Both sides on my family have obesity issues, high cholesterol/blood pressure, and not to mention heart disease.

The surgery for me is not about my looks. Even though I live in a society that see the average woman being a size 4 instead of a 14, and that it is socially "wrong" to be bigger, this is not my motivation. Quite frankly, I like the way I look and think I have a lot to offer as I am. But I do not want to be another health statistic due to obesity.

My ultimate weight goal is 150 pounds. I have 90 pounds to lose and look forward to it!

There are some questions that I have about the surgery:

1. My boyfriends major issue during recovery was gas bubbles that were quite painful. I can't find much research on this, but the doctor and hospital coordinator said that it is different for everyone. What was your experience?

2. I have also heard of a drainage tube that I will have overnight. This kind-of freaks me out. Does anyone know more about this?

Any feedback would be much appreciated:thumbup:. Thank you!

Hi Tara:

I was sleeved on September 3rd. I had some very bad gas pains that i felt in my shoulder. The nurses said this is pretty typical. By the time i left the hospital I was fine. I did not have a drainage tube.

Good luck on your surgery

Hi Tara,

Congrats for setting your date. I am not that far along in the process so I can't answer your questions, but wanted to say welcome to VST. I look forward to hearing all about your journey.

Nancy

Hi Tara - Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your surgery and surgery date.

I had some gas pain in my left shoulder; however, I put a heating pad on it and it helped it go away -- the other important thing and good way to get all the CO2 gas out is to walk, woak, walk, walk!

I had a drainage tube for 2 days - it was no big deal - that was the incision that was the most tender - not painful, more like a sore muscle. when it was removed it didn't hurt, but it sure felt weird.

Hello All,

My name is Tara, and I am having my surgery on 12/03/2009. I am very excited for the surgery, and have a great support group of family. My boyfriend got the Lap-Band surgery 4 months ago with Dr. Mario Almanza in Tijuana, Mexico.

His experience went quite well, and the only thing I regret now is that I did not go with him and get it done at the same time. However, it may be a good thing in the end because I believe VSG will be the better choice. I am currently at 240 pounds and have always struggled with my weight. I am ready to no longer worry of future health problems because of obesity. As I am sure many of us can testify, my genetics is a major part of my decision for surgery. Both sides on my family have obesity issues, high cholesterol/blood pressure, and not to mention heart disease.

The surgery for me is not about my looks. Even though I live in a society that see the average woman being a size 4 instead of a 14, and that it is socially "wrong" to be bigger, this is not my motivation. Quite frankly, I like the way I look and think I have a lot to offer as I am. But I do not want to be another health statistic due to obesity.

My ultimate weight goal is 150 pounds. I have 90 pounds to lose and look forward to it!

There are some questions that I have about the surgery:

1. My boyfriends major issue during recovery was gas bubbles that were quite painful. I can't find much research on this, but the doctor and hospital coordinator said that it is different for everyone. What was your experience?

2. I have also heard of a drainage tube that I will have overnight. This kind-of freaks me out. Does anyone know more about this?

Any feedback would be much appreciated:thumbup:. Thank you!

Hi Tara! Congratulations on having a date to be sleeved! I'm actually getting sleeved tomorrow. I hope to lose 110lbs with the sleeve. My doctor told me I have to have the drainage bag from 5 days. That really freaks me out! Especially bringing it home with me... But, I'll make it. Most people on here that I have talked to just have one while they are in the hospital and some don't have it...

Can't tell you about the other since I haven't been there yet...

Hi Tara,

Yes, you are a beautiful woman and you will only get better with weight loss. I, on the other hand, will likely look older ~sigh~ but I am on the other side of the age spectrum. Congrats on getting in with Dr. Almanza, he is fantastic. As to gas, try taking along some GAs-X strips that melt in your mouth. Yes they will give you meds for it if needed. But the best advice is to walk it off as much as you can. Are you going there alone? I did, and it was quite an adventure for me, as I didn't have all the answers for my age, but did have the support of this community.

The pouch is left until day 4 if I remember correctly, you will be glad when you see how many times it needs emptying that you have it and that your body is not having to reabsorb all that Fluid. For most peolple taking the tube out was uncomfortable but not painful. Mine seemed to be caught up in there so it was not pleasant at all!!! but we managed. After that it was a cinch to dress properly and go sightseeing! they are great there, you are never alone for outings, always a driver and a nurse or doctor along.

My daughter is going there in January, and my sister too! They are bringing me along with them, how nice is that!

All will go well, I assure you.

Donna

Hi Tara! One more Welcome! I haven't been sleeved yet either, but let me tell you, this will be my 18th major surgery, and with all 17 previous surgeries I've had gas pains. . like VegasAngel says, it's very important to get up and walk, walk everywhere, and use those arms if the air is there, heat packs help too. . . good luck, a little pain is well worth the outcome . . . blessings to you!

Hi Tara. Welcome to VST. I was sleeved in early August. I am very familiar with post-op gas pains, I was miserable after my first c-section. However, with my sleeve surgery, I did not have very much gas pain at all. I was pleasantly surprised. I kept my drain for several days post-op. It was kind of weird, but didn't hurt. My advise post-op is walk, walk, walk. It's the best thing you can do for your recovery.

Good Luck with your journey!

HOw did you get your ticker on your profile?

Judy,

Alex posted a thread with Ticker instructions/tutorial on the VST Forum Assistance and Suggestions Forum. Way down on the bottom of the Forums page (4th from the bottom I think). I hope that it helps.

Tara,

You will be in great hands. I was sleeved on Oct 6 by Dr. Almanza. I'm 2 weeks out and so far I'm 26 pounds down. GasX is be a Godsend, trust me, you'll do plenty of walking Once Dr. Bentacourt takes you on an excursion. :sad0: Follow me on my journey www.myquest2lose.com

Just an update...

So my surgery is getting closer, and I am more excited then ever! My Mom will be coming to town to help me out after I get the sleeve done. I have about almost two weeks off after the surgery from work, hopefully that will be enough. Otherwise, I will have to take time without leave... :)

I am getting prepared by buying some post-op stuff for my new diet. Gas-X strips, a pill crusher, Gatorade, juice, beef and chicken bouillon, and much more. My boyfriend is so supportive during all of this, and is giving me some good tips. I am glad he is coming with me.

Other then surgery stuff, I have been working and focusing on my artwork. I started a website recently! And so far I have had two sales! I am super excited over that of course! This is the first time I have had an online store. If anyone would like to see my stuff, here is my website TKDeal on Etsy.

Thanks to everyones support! I will update soon!