Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The good, the bad, and the ugly...here's some ugly:

Had a rough night last night. I started testing out some Isopure clear when I got home from my trip, but diluted it with Water because it tasted so strong. After almost a week of no Protein I thought it was a good idea. That's what I get for thinking! After I went to bed, my new little sleeve had a fit! It woke me up two hours later, returning the nasty stuff that I had fed it! It was the worst feeling...I coughed and gagged on the stuff for a while, and took a vow against Isopure for a while!!! Back to plain old Vitamin Water once my sleeve has a rest for a few hours! Gotta keep it happy!

Also had noticed my legs and feet were swollen after the return flight home, and had gained some pounds of water weight. I had cut my BP pills in half before leaving for Mexicali because I was having occasional dizzy spells when I stood up, and my BP readings were normalized, I suspected it was dropping because I had lost 17 lbs :patriot: Then I totally stopped taking it while in Mexicali because my BP had dropped WAY lower than normal, probably due to all the post-op medications. But I checked it this morning and it is back up at borderline high, :patriot: so I restarted on the 1/2 dose. Am already getting rid of some Fluid from my legs and feel better. I have an appt. with my internist next week (she's been in Europe so I've been "self-doctoring) to be sure everything is looking OK. I think she will be surprised at the wt. loss already.

Am also having LOTS of gas at both ends now...so I "hit the chewable GASX" and took a nap late this morning, finally feel a bit better ...probably will be seeing (beware TMI) some peacock poop soon.

Two steps forward, one step back. Oh well!

I'm at the peacock poop stage :patriot:, but I take it as a good sign that my plumbing is working? As for the Protein, I went against my strongest convictions against injesting anything with "splenda" or artificial sweetener ingredients especially with my new and tender stomach and tried Isopure (since I too worry for protein), and... it is wrapped up and ready to go back to the Vitamin Shop from where it came. I would not dare even wet my lips with the stuff again. I was granted the OK to have very thin whey shakes with skim or 1% milk. Even that has lost its appeal post surgery. I actually enjoyed the shakes pre op but I am able to tolerate a couple of ounces at a time now so at least that's a little protein. I am very hungry all the time but I think that has to be quite normal since this clear liquid stage is an extreme fast. I am surviving on Motts clear apple juice with ice, Vitamin Water, (yellow goes down best), and chicken, and Beef Boulion. Wow this will be a tedious process and I am looking forward to being able to at least feel some sort of satiation eventually with food, soft, mushies...etc. All of this is actually training me to appreciate every morsel, believe me I will never abuse the privilege of readily having food in abundance again. I hope your faring better and thanks for sharing your experience.

Dr. Aceves had me do Clear liquids for 10 days; full liquids (tomato Soup, Protein shakes with milk (very thin); oatmeal (thinned), SF pudding, etc. for 10 days, then mushies for 10 days, then soft solids ... because of the issue I have with a spasming esophogus, he had me stay on mushies even longer.

So I think you'll be fine to start on full liquids next week - probably now actually -- 10 days on clears for me started the day after my surgery. If you had your surgery on 9/15, then 9/16 + 10 is 9/26. You'll feel better once you're on full liquids.

I hope so I am tolerating a couple of slow ounces of thin strawberry whey shakes by jay robb, oddly strawberry was the only flavor I did not try pre op when I immensely enjoyed my shakes. Now I can tolerate them in strawberry only but barely. I am hoping that I can try some jarred baby food next week like bananna, and maybe some totally blenderized chicken, a smidgeon of mashed potatoe, pulverized green Beans? Beans? Carrots?:patriot: If they are near pudding consistancy maybe my surgeon will allow? I gotta tell ya I am so hungry even as I sit here sipping my strawberry whey ...

Is farina, and thin oatmeal full enough? Couscous in a blender???

Nexium. Works like a charm. Dr Aceves gives his patients a two week supply, plus a prescription for more which I purchased at the pharmacy next to the hospital. Very cheap in Mexico....1/5 what you'd pay in the USA.

I take protonix. They are very tiny pills. I have taken them since 3 days after surgery with no problems. They come in generic so my doc prescribes them for me to take twice per day. I only take one per day, but that way I get 60 pills for $10. My ins. will pay $10 for any generic prescription.

I took Nexxium, but now my insurance won't cover it, so I take Prilosec - was taking 20 mg but that didn't do the job, so doc upped me to 40 mg and that seems to do the trick.

The pharmacist told me if the capsules were to difficult to swallow, that I could open them and sprinkle them in some applesauce. So far, I haven't had too much trouble getting them down - the 40 mg are much larger than the 20 mg.

Are they prescription or over the counter? I haven't seen the capsules- you just open up the capsules or do you swallow them?

It's prescription. I swallow them easily with a swig of Water in the morning. I have learned that if I exhale real big before I take the drink of water the pill goes down a lot easier. It maybe psychological, but I exhale fill up the back of my throat with water, drop the pill in, and swallow. I walk around the island in my kitchen then take another swig of water. Ha ha ha now y'all know my morning ritual. I haven't had to open the capsules at all, and don't think I could handle swallowing the Prilosec laced applesauce.

It's prescription. I swallow them easily with a swig of Water in the morning. I have learned that if I exhale real big before I take the drink of water the pill goes down a lot easier. It maybe psychological, but I exhale fill up the back of my throat with water, drop the pill in, and swallow. I walk around the island in my kitchen then take another swig of water. Ha ha ha now y'all know my morning ritual. I haven't had to open the capsules at all, and don't think I could handle swallowing the Prilosec laced applesauce.

Do these medications help with that feeling of air stuck in the center of the chest, and/or a sort of cold feeling coming up the esophagus? My doctor gave me a prescription for Pepcid ac which ended up being a chewable over-the-counter remedy. I am seeing him tomorrow and wonder if I should ask him for a prescription for something better as you all are suggesting here.

Do these medications help with that feeling of air stuck in the center of the chest, and/or a sort of cold feeling coming up the esophagus? My doctor gave me a prescription for Pepcid ac which ended up being a chewable over-the-counter remedy. I am seeing him tomorrow and wonder if I should ask him for a prescription for something better as you all are suggesting here.

Exhaling before sipping definitely helped with that reverse bubble effect. That's what it felt like for me the 1st couple of weeks. I would sip, and get this little bubbling up from the tummy into the esophagus, and it felt like air. My surgeon explained that it would go away with time, and it took about 2 weeks. I never had the cold coming up the esophagus.

I think Mac explained it best. Pepcid will take care of the acid after it's formed, Prilosec, Nexium, Protonix, and other PPIs will prevent it from becoming a problem.

Cajun, to be honest, I didn't even bother attempting to get my Protein in until I was on mushies. I just tried to concentrate on getting enough fluids.

As far as acid, I left Mexico with a three month supply of Nexium. When I ran out, I tried going without anything, but my body disagreed. So, I take the otc Prilosec as well, and it works great. Even at six months out, if I miss one day I have major acid reflux.