Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery 9/15 home 9/20 9/22 11:32 PM SOS!!!

If they gave you a lot of antibiotics in the hospital it could be "thrush", which would have a red sore area under the white stuff when you brush it off. This is easily treated by your pcp and does not require an ER visit. You could catch something worse sitting in an ER!

If there is a sore red area under the white stuff when you brush it off, it is probably thrush. If not, it is just the dry mouth stuff that Tiff talked about.

I just brushed my tongue and teeth with baking soda, then gargled with salt Water w/a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. My tongue looks better, not completely clear but much better. Whatever it was/is I think it is subsiding. Although my tongue seems to get very dry with this too. I do think it was thrush it was very fungal looking last night. I am still suspicious however that it may have been a reaction to something I "sipped"? I've been trying different things. In a few minutes a visiting home nurse is well, visiting me and I'll see what she says too.

If they gave you a lot of antibiotics in the hospital it could be "thrush", which would have a red sore area under the white stuff when you brush it off. This is easily treated by your pcp and does not require an ER visit. You could catch something worse sitting in an ER!

If there is a sore red area under the white stuff when you brush it off, it is probably thrush. If not, it is just the dry mouth stuff that Tiff talked about.

Hi Cajun, yes they did give me alot of antibiotics in the hospital. It did look like thrush, however whatever it is/was it seems to be subsiding. My tongue seems to get dried out very quickly too. I'll have the visiting home nurse have a look at it as well. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear it's better. Please let us know what the home nurse says.

FWIW, my mouth, tongue & throat stayed dry & yucky feeling until I was able to start solid foods. I found myself brushing my teeth constantly during that month.

Hi Tiffany, hi Jennifer,

My tongue is back to normal. At the time the nurse looked at it the fungal erruption was nearly gone so she didn't think it was anything to be concerned about and just told me it was likely from dehydration. I don't know because I was sipping on various liquids including Water all day and that evening into the night. One thing for sure is I notice my mouth/tongue does dry out and I guess that is good so I am forced to keep Water close. I am really struggling tonight with HUNGER! I notice though that if I take too big a sip of anything it doesn't feel right going down nor after it goes down so my new stomach is training me to be cautious. Anybody have any suggestions about how to deal with this knawing hunger? Today I had a whey Protein drink made with Jay Robb chocolate and I used Almond milk for fear of introducing regular milk so soon. It took me nearly 50 minutes to finish it. I also had bullion chicken broth and beef broth. Apple juice, cranberry juice, water, and more water, ice cubes to suck on etc. But I am sooooooooo hungry.

The home nurse BTW, was super and redressed my bandages so gently and carefully. I am one of those who can easily faint so this is very difficult for me.

Edited by LAN2k

I didn't experience hunger during the post-op diet stages, but I can tell you that sugar-free popsicles tasted fabulous during that time, and made me feel better. I could tolerate apple juice or apple sauce because they both caused horrible gas. I tried both, but I paid for it dearly later.

I'm so glad your tongue situation has cleared up. I loved 2 of my home health nurses, the other one, I wanted to strangle. Glad you are doing well, keep sipping, and follow your program.

Thanks Tiffy, I just awoke about 4AM. Apple juice was the only thing I could tolerate day 2 after surgery (after the leak test). I feel as if I am getting some sort of nutrition from it. I guess I should search another topic to delve into post op liquid dieting? thanks again for being here...and that goes for all of you courageous sleevers!!!

Lan2K - was your surgery open? I am wondering why you were sent home with a drain and have homehealth nurses? If it was open surgery, why?

Lan2K - was your surgery open? I am wondering why you were sent home with a drain and have homehealth nurses? If it was open surgery, why?

Hi VegasAngel, My procedure was not open but I recall my surgeon telling me prior to the surgery that I would be sent home with a drain for a few days. He was aware of previous gastric and abdominal surgeries. As it turned out, there was excessive scar tissue and the surgery took a bit over 3 hours. The excessive scar tissue was from previous surgeries, Open Gallbladder 1976 and Open Incisional Hernia (upper abdomen) 2007. Afterward, he explained to me that the incision where the portion of the stomach is removed was made a bit larger than usual. While in the hospital I had a blood transfusion. There was allot of bleeding coming through on my dressing for a while. I was in the hospital from Tuesday the 15th to Sunday the 20th. I was watched closely and I suppose that is why I had home-health nurse assistance. The bleeding has finally decreased and this morning there was significantly less blood on the dressing noted by the nurse. The measurements of the blood draining is also decreased. I have an appointment with him (my surgeon) tomorrow morning. Other than that, other than feeling a little vulnerable and a weird sort of hunger, (on liquids), I seem to be progressing. As usual at the end of each day I do hope everything will turn out OK. Thanks for your concern and continued support.

Hi VegasAngel, My procedure was not open but I recall my surgeon telling me prior to the surgery that I would be sent home with a drain for a few days. He was aware of previous gastric and abdominal surgeries. As it turned out, there was excessive scar tissue and the surgery took a bit over 3 hours. The excessive scar tissue was from previous surgeries, Open Gallbladder 1976 and Open Incisional Hernia (upper abdomen) 2007. Afterward, he explained to me that the incision where the portion of the stomach is removed was made a bit larger than usual. While in the hospital I had a blood transfusion. There was allot of bleeding coming through on my dressing for a while. I was in the hospital from Tuesday the 15th to Sunday the 20th. I was watched closely and I suppose that is why I had home-health nurse assistance. The bleeding has finally decreased and this morning there was significantly less blood on the dressing noted by the nurse. The measurements of the blood draining is also decreased. I have an appointment with him (my surgeon) tomorrow morning. Other than that, other than feeling a little vulnerable and a weird sort of hunger, (on liquids), I seem to be progressing. As usual at the end of each day I do hope everything will turn out OK. Thanks for your concern and continued support.

WOW that's a lot to deal with. Sounds like you're doing well though, and I am sure that you will continue to progress nicely and that before long you'll be back to your normal self, only with a smaller stomach :001_smile:

WOW that's a lot to deal with. Sounds like you're doing well though, and I am sure that you will continue to progress nicely and that before long you'll be back to your normal self, only with a smaller stomach :001_smile:

Thank you VegasAngel, I sure can't wait until I am able to eat pureed food. I am so hungry that I can't get to sleep tonight! I'll keep you posted and please do the same.