Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I eat too little on the Pre-op?

Hey guys,

Booked in for my sleeve on the 28th and have been on the Pre-op diet for a week now. I'm not sure what it is but something in the Protein Drinks I have (Optifast) give me awful nausea to the point where I gag and have thrown up a couple of times. I'm still getting a little under one a day down but I've noticed my hunger has switched off and I'm eating way under what my dietitian has allowed (probably gone into starvation mode). Will it make any difference to the surgery or will it still be ok cause it's a Very Low Calorie diet?

I think it's the smell of the drinks more than anything - and the bars are so dry they do the same thing.

Maybe I should try a different type of shake?

My stuff came from one spot and was all pre-measured and ready to go. It was a small amount (for me) but took away all guess work. My guess would be you need to eat what you were told, not less. You need to be ready for surgery, not under nourished.

You might want to try a few different Protein drinks starting now. Your tastes could change after surgery so I would not stock up just yet but at least you will know what did not work for you.

I prefer ready to drink shakes both for the convenience and more for the taste. I find all of the powder ones I tried nasty and more of a hassle than simply opening a shake and tossing the container when I am done (actually I recycle them).

I prefer Muscle Milk light, Atkins and EAS Mypoplex low carb. I get Atkins and EAS at Walmart and Muscle Milk light at costco.< /p>

The bottom line is that you MUST get enough protein in daily both pre and post op.

Here’s something my dietician provided me for the pre-op diet, the basic and alternative if you can’t do all liquid.

The Diet:

1. Drink at least 64 ounces of fluids per day (all must be sugar-free, calorie free, and non-carbonated)

2. One multi-Vitamin with essential minerals per day.

3. Consume 1000 - 1200 mg of Calcium per day

4. No Alcoholic beverages

5. Drink 4 - 6 no sugar added Meal Replacement shakes each day (recommends Adkins Advantage even though it has 1 gram of sugar. They taste great and have 15 grams of Protein and 24 essential nutrients plus Calcium and no trans fats)

Sample Day:

Breakfast: 1 shake

Lunch: 1 shake

4pm: 1 Shake (optional)

Dinner: 1 Shake

Bedtime: 1 Shake (optional)

What if you break the liquid fast or just cannot follow a liquid diet for 2 weeks?

Plan B - A shake and food meal plan that will keep the fat extremely low. The goal is still to lose as much weight as possible before surgery.

The Meal Plan:

2-4 8-11 ounce high Protein Shakes a day

1 meal a day, composed of

3 oz seafood, turkey or chicken (no skin)

Or

1 cup Non-fat/low-fat yogurt, cottage cheese or ricotta cheese

And

Non-starchy vegetables - up to one cup

No corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes or baked Beans

Fresh fruit - 1 piece (1 cup) per day

Olive oil - 1 tablespoon a day, no salad dressing, no Mayonnaise

Eat only 1 meal a day. Limited to 20 minutes per meal.

Sample Day 1:

Breakfast: 1 Shake

Lunch: 1 Shake

Dinner: Stir-fry

3 oz chicken

? cup broccoli

? cup mushrooms

1 tbsp Mrs. Dash 10-minute Mesquite Marinade

1 tbsp Olive oil

Snack: 1 Shake

Sample Day 2:

Breakfast: 1 cup 2% Cottage Cheese

1 cup fresh peaches

1 cup Lettuce

Lunch: 1 Shake

Sample Day 3:

Breakfast: 1 Shake

Lunch: 3 oz shrimp

Lettuce

1 cup zucchini

1 tbsp Olive Oil

Salsa

1 Pear

Hope this gives you some alternatives.

Hugs,

JoAnne

Success!! I managed to get two Protein drinks down today! I'm so happy, now I know I can persevere with it. I've found if I put a heap of ice in it makes it so much more do-able. The prepackaged shakes will be a great idea for when i go back to work - thanks Phoenixrising. I'll have to hunt around for some.

JoAnne you were given a much more comprehensive meal plan than I was - I was just told to have 3 shakes a day with a cup of salad/vegetables at lunch and dinner. No starchy veges (i.e. potato, pumpkin etc) and no-calorie drinks/gum. Oh and I can have 5 strawberries with Breakfast shake.

I'd kill for some cottage cheese right now, lol!

Hey everyone - I second the "don't buy a bunch before you have your surgery. I had purchased a couple of different types of Protein Shakes. Now that I'm sleeed - i can't stand any of them. They are too sweet as well as I am 'lactose intolerant' since I've had surgery. So much for being prepared before. I really struggles with this for several days partially becuase I didn't realize that I was 'lactose intolerant". Now that I've foun d "Oh, Yeah" I am much happier.

I am due to get mine on the same day as you. I hate Protein drinks but I got some banana whey from GNC, their brand. It is soooo good. I freeze a banana to put in it, with calorie countdown milk. This has saved me!! It has 20 g. protien for 1 scoop.

They are too sweet as well as I am 'lactose intolerant' since I've had surgery.

I've heard lots of people say they haven't been able to tolerate milk after the sleeve and this really worries me cause I like my milk and I don't eat meat so it can be a valuable source of some Proteins. Do you find it's getting better or have you avoided it since you discovered the tolerance?

Mine is getting worse.

What about eggs and cheese?

I've heard lots of people say they haven't been able to tolerate milk after the sleeve and this really worries me cause I like my milk and I don't eat meat so it can be a valuable source of some Proteins. Do you find it's getting better or have you avoided it since you discovered the tolerance?

I was lactose intolerant before the sleeve - however could tolerate milk in very small quantities - since my sleeve (6/12/09) I can't tolerate milk AT ALL. I can eat cheese though, thank goodness. I used to be able to eat frozen yogurt, but not now. I haven't tried regular yogurt yet - I keep buying it, but I'm afraid to try it. Luckily it doesn't go to waste as Bearded is able to eat it without any trouble. I have Calcium Vitamins I purchased and as soon as I'm able to swallow larger pills more easily, I will start taking them. Right now I eat cheese and take a multi-chewable Vitamin.

Oh well - I'll just have to see how I go. I'm only a couple of days away now from surgery and I'll be able to go on full fluids a few days after surgery and they've encouraged me to try milk so here's hoping it down well.