Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A million and one things - HELP I need a checklist

I have my sleeved date set with Dr. Aceves on Sept. 29, so I am heading out the morning of Sept. 28. I will be traveling alone and have so much going on in my head (leaving my young son at home with my Aunt, not being at work, dealing with those that I have told and then listening to others that don't agree with this that they they have told...oh and I can't forget my two dogs and how much I will miss them.) I am on here several times a day reading and rereading through the posts. I have received a lot of support and information from everyone sharing so much. I thought it was time I finally reached out and asked for some help myself. I want to make sure I am prepared in Mexico. Can you please give me suggestions of things to take (I've seen hair dryer and wash clothes) but anything else I might need. Also, where is the pharmacy in Mexicali to get the nexium? Should I get it on the 28th after my pre-op appts or wait until after surgery? I don't want to get lost as I have no sense of direction.

I will be home alone with my son when I return the hardest thing for me will be when I pick him up from preschool on Monday and him running to me and NOT being able to pick him up for a big hug...but we will get through that. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Also, please let me know if anyone else will be down there at the same time. I have communicated with a couple of people but the more the merrier!

Thank you,

Trudy

I don't have a fancy signature yet cuz I can't figure it out:blushing:

Hi Trudy, and welcome. There is a pharmacy right across the street from the hospital, so you won't get lost finding it. My husband went and picked up mine for me, but honestly, I probably could have walked over and got them myself without any problem.

If you have a laptop or a good book or something, take them with you. Gas-X and a heating pad come in very handy! Take a robe and some slippers, and comfy, loose clothes for the trip home. I also took a pillow, which was wonderful on the plane ride home. I used it more to support my tummy than anything else. Something I really wish I would have had was some really thick, comfy socks because it always seemed to me like it was just freezing there in the hospital. So, if you tend to be like me and get cold easy, plan for that!

I am sure some others will chime in here soon. If I think of anything else, I will add it.

Susan,

Thank you so much for the helpful items. I have updated my list accordingly.

I am so excited I figured out the signature thing....I will be replying and posting more often so watch out cuz here comes my input!

Ask Nina or whoever you have been talking to over there to send you the email they have with all the things they suggest you bring. My main problem there was I was completely bored. There isn't much on tv in English, and if wasn't for Dr. Campos loaning me his lap top every day, I would have gone nuts. I mainly took long walks outside every day.

I have no idea how hot it still is down there, but it was very warm at the end of April when I was there. I took a cotton robe rather than a warm fuzzy robe and flip flops cause it's easier than bending over to get slippers on.

The pharmacy is right next door to the hospital so that is not a problem.

I traveled completely alone and it was not a problem at all. If you can get some kind of Protein powder to mix with Water for the plane ride home, that would be good too.

Post away! We are all very willing to answer questions. We all love Dr. Aceves and all of his staff. They are very helpful.

I'll be going back for tests on 10-12. It's too bad we will just miss each other!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery date! I know you are both excited & nervous as we all were pre-op.

If I remember correctly, the pharmacy is directly across the street from the hospital. My dh went with me so he is the one that did the errand running. It was extremely hot when I was there (July) so I didn't walk outside much for fear of dehydration. You could get your Nexium after your pre-op tests. I'm sure Ernesto would be willing to wait on you long enough for that.

I suggest bringing a laptop...as others have mentioned, there aren't many US tv channels there so your choice is limited. I also suggest bringing shoes to walk the halls (with non-skid soles), chap stick, your normal toilitries, and clothes to wear at the hospital if you don't want to wear the gown the entire time (I wore the gown the first day & then wore some of my pj's the rest of the time, it made me feel better :blink:)

Be sure to leave room in your suitcase for the paperwork & x-rays that you will be coming home with. They won't take up much space, but the x-rays are rather large.

That's all I can remember for now. Good luck!:thumbup:

This is the list I received from Nina prior to my surgery:

Some items you may want to consider taking to the hospital with you:

Pajamas, the nurses and doctors will be checking your incisions so you might

be more comfortable in your own pajamas than the hospital gowns, however,

hospital gowns are provided if you prefer.

Non skid slippers, thongs, or slip on shoes of some sort. The hospital floors are very clean and waxed, so you'll want non-skid. It will be sore to bend over so you won't want to tie shoe laces so slip on shoes are

easier.

A favorite robe, many times it is comforting to have a favorite robe.

Computer - if you have a laptop you are welcome to bring it. The hospital and hotel are set up with wireless internet connection. Any of Dr. Aceves' staff can give you the password at the hospital. You do not need a password in the hotel.

Cell phone - Most cell phones work well in the hospital, if your phone does not work most of the staff will loan you their phone.

The electrical system is the same in Mexico as the US so you do not need a converter for your hair dryer, computer, or cell phone charger.

Shampoo - this is provided by the hospital but many prefer their own brands so they prefer to bring their own.

Book or other reading material. You will not likely feel like reading the day of surgery but you might the day after surgery.

Loose fitting clothing to wear coming home. You will likely feel a bit bloated after surgery so bring a sweat suit or something very loose fitting and comfortable for your ride home from the hospital.

I do not suggest bringing much cash with you. You will want to purchase dinner the night before surgery and $25.00 per

person will cover that easily, less for most restaurants. If you want to have access to cash then credit cards are a safer alternative. You will not need to convert US dollars to pesos, you can use US dollars for your companion in the hospital cafeteria and all businesses around Mexicali if

you choose to do a little shopping.

The 3 most important things for me were my own pillow, a heating pad and my laptop.

Also, besides the Pharmacy across the street from the hospital, there is another pharmacy right around the corner from the parking lot of the hospital. The price on the Nexium is apparently a set price as it was the same price at 3 difference pharmacies we purchased them from - the 40 mg. was something like $388.00 pesos (or about $31/box) It's less expensive to buy the 40 mg and break them in half (that will give you 28 days) than to buy a box of 20 mg (14 days).