Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Blessing in the form of a curse

Up until about two months ago i had every intension on getting a lap band. i was saving up every dollar i had for this $6000 lap band. i almost saved all the money i needed and if everything went perfectly i would have had my lap band surgery in JULY.

BUT everything didn't go perfectly. I lost my job and with bills, food , and haveing to find a new apartment i ended up spending all the money i saved up for the lap band.

At that time i was VERY depressed about it. I have been looking foward to that band forever and just like that- i couldn't afford it anymore....

Fastfoward to now i have done a lot more reaserch about the band and i found out how many people reallly were struggleing with it. and how people had a hard time with restriction and hunger and i realize that the band probably wouldn't have worked that well for me. and i also found a cheaper place that did lapbands gastric sleeves for a very cheap price. and now i got a new (better paying)job, i saved all the money i previously spent, and i plan on having my gastric sleeve surgery in october(for less money than the other facility was charging for a lapband)

So if it wasn't for that finiancial crisis i went through i would have done the lap band and regretted it like a lot of bandsters..

so what i thought was a curse at that time ended up being a blessing.:thumbup:

Edited by mnb

Mnb, welcome to our forums. I believe everything happens for a reason, as appears to be the case with you. Keep us posted on how things are going. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Mnb,

congratulations on getting a surgery date and for choosing the sleeve. You will find many people to support you on this journey here in these forums, so keep on posting and seeking answers as you will think of many many questions along the way.

Will your surgery be close to home? Mine will be in just over 2 weeks in Mexico.

Welcome to the sister-hood!

What doctor will you be going to?

congratulations on your sleeve decision. I think you're right. I had the band and I couldn't wait to have it out and get the sleeve. I liked the band at first, and then it started causing me all sorts of trouble.

Edited by Oregondaisy

omgsh thank u all for the support.

i honestly didn't even think people would even see my little thread .

Mnb,

congratulations on getting a surgery date and for choosing the sleeve. You will find many people to support you on this journey here in these forums, so keep on posting and seeking answers as you will think of many many questions along the way.

Will your surgery be close to home? Mine will be in just over 2 weeks in Mexico.

Welcome to the sister-hood!

thanx for the welcome

and no my surgery will not be close to home i live in northern jersey about a 20min drive to ny everything here is super expensive. and i'm a huge travel buff so i would find any excuse to leave the country. i'm going to tiijuana and i plan on dr. mario alberto almananza reyes (i thought my name was long:blink:) to do my surgery.

his facility is super cheap and i have heard pretty good things about him.

Hey, that is who I am going to go to as well.

Yes, I am sure you will be treated well there. I met a woman here who went there and she

really liked her experience there. That prompted me to read up on sleeve

WLS and altho most here recommend Dr. A in Mexicali, I still went with Dr Almanza.

When in Oct will you have yours done?

i'm going the 29th the very last thrsday, you're so lucky you're leaving in two weeks. i feel like i've been waiting forever.

are u going on a tuesday or thrsday? u know they have those awesome tuesday/thrsday specials.

Edited by mnb

Mine is the 28th of this month, I was fortunate enough to get in on the free airfare deal as well as the lower rate. Good thing, huh? So you are going to be there for Halloween?

oh god i haven't celebrated holloween in years. i completely forgot. and how did u get free airfare. did u get the $300 off for october?

Welcome! What a twist of fate.

Don't forget to put your surgery date on the calendar up top so everyone knows to think about you that day.

yeah i tried to do that twice already and i don't really know how. i was embarrased to ask.

Don't ever be embarrased to ask here!

Click "Calendar" on the menu bar at the top.

You will see a "Add new Event" box towards the bottom right, click "single all day event"

Put mnb's Surgery or mnb's VSG or whatever you want to put in the title. This what will show up on the calendar so make it kinda short so people can easily see.

Choose your event date. Important, I think it defaults to today's date.

Click "Save Event" at the bottom.

Thats it!

Welcome to the forum! Keep us updated on how things are going for you!