Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery date getting closer!

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I posted. It is less than 2 weeks before I go for my VSG. I am very excited and VERY nervous. Of course, I am thinking about all the what-ifs, etc. However, I do realize that this procedure is neccessary for me to become healthier and reach my goal weight.

Also, I have decided to have my VSG performed in Houston by Dr. Alanis instead of traveling to MX. After thinking about it further, I just felt more comfortable being in my own backyard (I do hate the fact that I will not get the 3 nights in the hospital and the vacation getaway that I was planning). Anyway, the important thing is that I am still getting the VSG!:glare:

Yesterday, my aunt was showing some family photos and we ran across one of me when I was over 300 lbs. I thought, WOW, this is motivation in itself (Thankfully, I dont weigh that much now) but it just reminded me of how I use to be and what I could potentially turn into again.

Anyway, I NEED you all to send me some positivity regarding my BIG day coming up. My surgeons office told me that I can have it sooner if I wanted, which I might do as I am already on the preop diet (I start earlier than prescribed).

I have a questions

1. Do you all suggest that I purchase all my post op Protein supplements now? If so, which kind do you recommend?

2. Or what do you recommend for post op grocery shopping, any particular items that you all felt was helpful?

Thanks a million, I will keep you all posted on my progress....

Soon to be sleeved.....:thumbup1:

Congrats. on your surgery date. I have bought some things for post-op. I have chicken and beef broth, Jello, Protein water(Kellogg), Chike Protein mix, veg. juice, fruit juice and Eas protein shakes from Wal-Mart.

Sounds good, Ive heard alot about EAS Protein Shakes, I will probably buy those. This pre-op diet is KILLING:cursing: me though and I feel as IF I am loosing my best friend "food". Its sad, you dont realize how much you depend/rely on something until you feel that its about to be taken away.

I had a MANY food funerals prior to starting this diet but I just decided to do it early, I was eating too much. LOL But I wouldnt dare cheat on this preop diet, I am a nurse and I KNOW the consequences....so I just have to suffer through this.....

Thanks for your post op shopping ideas...

I purchased stuff for the clear and full liquid stage pre-op, but waited until post-op to order Protein. I ordered the Syntrax nectar samples, and liked 2 of them. 1 was my favorite so I ordered a huge tub of that flavor, and 2 weeks later, it made me sick and running to the bathroom. I gave it to my neighbor.

I just ordered the Chike nutrtion samples, and hope I can find one that is tolerable.

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I posted. It is less than 2 weeks before I go for my VSG. I am very excited and VERY nervous. Of course, I am thinking about all the what-ifs, etc. Don't even put any negative thoughts out there Shanda -- think only positive - positive out, positive back. Everything has proceeded as it needed to meaning this is the right thing for you. However, I do realize that this procedure is neccessary for me to become healthier and reach my goal weight.

Also, I have decided to have my VSG performed in Houston by Dr. Alanis instead of traveling to MX. After thinking about it further, I just felt more comfortable being in my own backyard You HAVE to do what YOU feel comfortable with and if you are comfortable with your surgeon, that is all that matters. (I do hate the fact that I will not get the 3 nights in the hospital and the vacation getaway that I was planning). Anyway, the important thing is that I am still getting the VSG!:tongue_smilie:

Yesterday, my aunt was showing some family photos and we ran across one of me when I was over 300 lbs. I thought, WOW, this is motivation in itself (Thankfully, I dont weigh that much now) but it just reminded me of how I use to be and what I could potentially turn into again.

Anyway, I NEED you all to send me some positivity regarding my BIG day coming up. My surgeons office told me that I can have it sooner if I wanted, which I might do as I am already on the preop diet (I start earlier than prescribed). You will be in my prayers and I will send guardian angels to watch over you and keep you safe and to guide your surgeon's hand.

I have a questions

1. Do you all suggest that I purchase all my post op Protein supplements now? If so, which kind do you recommend?

2. Or what do you recommend for post op grocery shopping, any particular items that you all felt was helpful?

Thanks a million, I will keep you all posted on my progress....

Soon to be sleeved.....:thumbup1:

I would strongly suggest not stocking up on any Protein drinks -- those that I loved before surgery, I still can't drink today - they are too too sweet and some of them are too thick and make me sick. The SF Jell-O, chicken broth, etc. are good ideas. Also, the packets from Ramen noodles are really good and flavorful when you get tired of the chicken broth. Propel Water is good too as it helps to level out your blood sugar. I would order sample packets of nectar by Syntrax and the Chike and try them after your surgery to see how you like them -- many people's tastes have changed after surgery - I know mine did, if it's "normal" sweet to most, it's too sweet for me. If it's "not sweet enough" to most, then it's tolerable for me. Don't waste a lot of money on lots of drinks beforehand -- unless your fiance will drink them (I'm lucky in the regard, Bearded likes them all so it wasn't money wasted)

I will look forward to hearing about your journey!

I wouldn't buy a whole lot of anything prior to surgery. Your body goes through quite a bit right after surgery. You may develop short term lactose intolerance, acid reflux, heartburn. I know I can't eat or drink anything sweet. All sweets taste 10x sweeter. For example, if I make a cup of tea I use to put in 3 splenda. Now I only need 1. I dilute my juice with Water to cut the sweetness. I basically drink lots of water and Protein Drinks (made with whey).

I'm going to make some chicken Soup and strain it through a very fine strainer, then freeze the clear broth in ice cube trays to have it all made for my clear liquid stage. I think home made will just taste better than packaged stuff...and I get a headache from MSG in most of those packaged deals anyway. I don't think I'll feel much like cooking after surgery so am going to do it a week before.

I've found a Protein shake that I like, it's Jay Robb chocolate flavor Protein powder. I mix it in lactaid milk (won't have to worry about lactaid intolerance that way), and I add a few drops of banana extract...it tastes great. It comes in individual packets as well as a larger container, so I can easily travel with it.

Good idea to get the house all clean in advance, empty all the big trash cans, and do any work that might entail lifting because after surgery you should not be exerting much...could cause hernias until you are healed.

Read a lot on this forum to learn from everyone else's advice, and you will avoid some problems down the road. Those are some of the things I've been doing as I plan for sleeve day!

Good luck to you!

I've found a Protein Shake that I like, it's Jay Robb chocolate flavor Protein Powder. I mix it in lactaid milk (won't have to worry about lactaid intolerance that way), and I add a few drops of banana extract...it tastes great. It comes in individual packets as well as a larger container, so I can easily travel with it.

You can't have milk on clears - you'll have to wait on that until you move to clears.

Shanda, you have already received some great advice from everyone here. I really agree about the Protein shakes, you may just want to purchase a few samples to have on hand. After you are sleeved, try them out, see which ones you like and then order more. Most of us have found that our tastes changed significantly after our surgery. I cannot tolerate anything sweet anymore.

Congratulations on your upcoming date, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thanks EVERYONE for the advice. I think I will just stock up on the things that you all have suggested (broths, etc) and order the samples. I am so ready but SO NERVOUS!!! Its unbelievable, I never thought I would be this nervous!!

However, I look at all of you guys wonderful progress and im thiinking in a month i could be at least 15-20 lbs less!!!!!

It depends on the shake and the program.

I have a weird question, are the Protein shakes with Water considered clears???

My doctor considers Protein Shakes made with at least 50% more Water clears. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury also makes a clear Protein. I bought a bunch just in case he restricted me to that.

Thick shakes were a nightmare the first couple weeks. I thinned. Now they are ok but I should be drinking them more thinned.