Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

Very new at this computer thing....so please be patient...It is SO hard to find any info about the sleeve, no one I talk to has ever heard of it, so it's frustrating. I researched everything I could get...I was all set to get the gastric bypass but never felt 100% good about it, I was so stressed out about the malabsorption thing. When I started hearing more about the Sleeve I knew this was the surgery for me and luckily my doctor does the procedure so I just switched my procedure from the bypass to the sleeve. NOW I feel 100% sure and my mind is at ease. I have been going thru trying to get bariatric surgery for nearly 3 years now. Problems with my medical group switching contracting hospitals (4 times), having to start all over again...a very grueling process. I finally ended up at South Bay Surgeons in Torrance. All the Dr's there do the VGS. I would love to hear from those who have had it already....when did you go back to work? What were the BAD side effects? Any? Did you lose hair? ?I would love any feedback...thank you!!:)

Hi Everyone,

Very new at this computer thing....so please be patient...It is SO hard to find any info about the sleeve, no one I talk to has ever heard of it, so it's frustrating. I researched everything I could get...I was all set to get the gastric bypass but never felt 100% good about it, I was so stressed out about the malabsorption thing. When I started hearing more about the Sleeve I knew this was the surgery for me and luckily my doctor does the procedure so I just switched my procedure from the bypass to the sleeve. NOW I feel 100% sure and my mind is at ease. I have been going thru trying to get bariatric surgery for nearly 3 years now. Problems with my medical group switching contracting hospitals (4 times), having to start all over again...a very grueling process. I finally ended up at South Bay Surgeons in Torrance. All the Dr's there do the VGS. I would love to hear from those who have had it already....when did you go back to work? What were the BAD side effects? Any? Did you lose hair? ?I would love any feedback...thank you!!:)

Welcome BigNana - I had my surgery on 6/12/09 and went back to work the following Friday. I have not lost any hair and hope I don't. The only pain I had was where the drainage was and that felt more like very sore muscles. I am having some minor problems with some spasming; however, I'm told that only happens in about 1% of the patients. Ask away and someone (or lots of someones) will answer your questions.

Hi BigNana! Welcome to our forum, we are so happy to have you join us!

I was amazed at how little pain was involved with the sleeve surgery. I actually expected more because I was a revision from the band to the sleeve, but the pain was really, really minimal. As for side effects, I haven't had any. Unless, you consider losing a lot of weight and feeling much better to be a side effect, lol. I haven't experienced any hair loss, I never have when I have been losing weight. I have heard others mention they have though.

At any rate, I am happy to see that after three years you are finally able to get the surgery you want. The sleeve will be a blessing for you and you will love it. We look forward to following you on this wonderful journey.

Welcome Nana, we are practically neighbors. I am in Santa Clarita. V angel and I had our surgeries the same day in Mexico. As far as pain goes, I had my eyebrows threaded today and that hurt more than the surgery did.

Again welcome, we are excited to have you with us.

Welcome Nana, we are practically neighbors. I am in Santa Clarita. V angel and I had our surgeries the same day in Mexico. As far as pain goes, I had my eyebrows threaded today and that hurt more than the surgery did.

Again welcome, we are excited to have you with us.

What the heck is eyebrow threading????

It a new/old way of removing brows other than by waxing. Its suppose to be an old middle eastern procedure according to my cosmetologist. Its fast but stings more than waxing. Its sort of hard to describe but done with a long piece of thread and twisting somehow. Anyway, its pretty popular here and I had it done today just to try it. I think I want the hot wax.

Hi VegasAngel, Ruthi and Susan, thank you SO much for your fast replies. I don't see where to reply individually, maybe I'll get the hang of this, but for now, it will be a group thing....wow, finally I don't feel so isolated!!! I loved your replies....and makes me feel even better about this surgery. Shoot, I can do eyebrow threading so this should be a breeze!! I'm going into it with a positive attitude and I'm not a big cry baby so I think I will be fine....I know it sounds petty but the hair thing is the big issue with me....I know several people who have gotten the gastric bypass and lost almost ALL their hair and their skin looks terrible from the malabsorptive effect of that surgery. My doctor tells me that is not a big deal....but to me it is....I think he was pushing for me to have the gastric instead of the sleeve but was good about listening to my concerns and ultimately was ok with my decision to switch. the hardest part for me right now is trying not to gain weight. My Dr is really strict about me not gaining one pound before the surgery....that is HARD to do...so is this surgery strictly laporoscopic? I hope so....

so you guys had your surgeries in Mexico? I have a friend who had lap band down there and had great results....

Thanks again for answering my questions....and I'm in AWE that you went back to work so FAST...that is what I'm hoping for.....

Thanks again! BigNana

I know there have been a few posters on here who have had an open procedure; however, I believe that was due to the fact they'd had other surgery in the abdominal cavity and their doctors were concerned about scar tissue. The majority have it done laprascopically. If you stick to a high protein/low carb (less than 30 gms) you should be able to keep any weight off and might even lose some weight before the surgery. Ruthi and I had our surgery on the same day - June 12th. Eyfura had her surgery on the June 10th and my fiance, BeardedItalian had his surgery on July 11th - and we all had them in Mexicali by Dr. Aceves.

As long as you have a desk job or at least not something high task you should be able to return to work within 3-4 days after your release from the hospital. Dr. Aceves keeps you in the hospital for 3 nights after surgery.

What the heck is eyebrow threading????

Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same darn thing!

It a new/old way of removing brows other than by waxing. Its suppose to be an old middle eastern procedure according to my cosmetologist. Its fast but stings more than waxing. Its sort of hard to describe but done with a long piece of thread and twisting somehow. Anyway, its pretty popular here and I had it done today just to try it. I think I want the hot wax.

That doesn't sound very pleasant. I think I will stick with waxing too.

BigNana, you can quote just one person, or several when responding in a thread by clicking on the quote or multi-quote buttons on the lower right of the post that you want to reply to.

I understand your concerns about hair loss. I think, for woman, our hair has a great deal with how we feel about ourselves, or at least it does for me. If I am having a "bad hair day" that affects my mood for the whole day because I don't feel good or confident about the way I look. While I have heard some people mention Hair loss, I haven't heard anyone say it was significant enough to be real noticeable to anyone other than themselves.

It is tough not to gain before the surgery, because we tend to get that "last supper" mentality. We want to get all of our favorites in before we get our new tummies. But, it is important not to gain and to have your liver healthy so the doctor can perform the surgery on you. Is he going to have you on any type of pre-op diet?

That doesn't sound very pleasant. I think I will stick with waxing too.

Me too ... although my eyebrows are so "colorless" these days I don't often need to have them waxed. If I don't put on some color, they are very light.

It is tough not to gain before the surgery, because we tend to get that "last supper" mentality. We want to get all of our favorites in before we get our new tummies. But, it is important not to gain and to have your liver healthy so the doctor can perform the surgery on you. Is he going to have you on any type of pre-op diet?

What you need to remember is that you're not giving up all your favorite foods forever -- once you're back on solids, you can eat whatever you want; however, you just eat a much smaller portion. So, your favorite foods aren't gone forever, just temporarily -- hopefully that helps to avoid the "last meal" mentality and get you through the pre-op stage to surgery!

Hi, thanks for the info...I know I feel like such a big baby about the hair thing, I don't have that much to begin with, it's pretty thin, so hopefully with the sleeve, the Hair loss won't be that significant.

My Dr doesn't have me on a pre surg diet, just tells me to try and lose some or at least stay the same....You're right about the last meal thing....the only thing holding me back is that everytime I eat what I want, I gain 3 pounds...it's so discouraging...but I don't feel so bad knowing I will be able to eat anything I want, just in little portions and that is fine with me. I will just have ONE piece of Bloomin' Onion!!! I'm going on a vacation on the beach one week before my surgery, that will be a challenge.....my surgery is 2 days after we get back....I'm already hoping for a short recovery, mr Dr is saying 4 weeks off work, I'm saying 2....we'll see.....I just can't wait to be in the ONES.....(under 200)...I haven't seen those numbers for YEARS.....

I tried hitting the quote button to reply but it didn't give me an option to reply when it went to that page...if I don't figure this out soon I'm going to give up..!!!

Nana, one of my requirements before getting a date was to attend a support group. My surgeon has them once a week. The hair thing came up, and the leader said we probably couldn't avoid it altogether, but reassured people that if they really were vigilant about getting their Protein in, they would lose less, and that it WILL grow back. I have to say, though, the sheer trauma of any surgery can cause Hair loss. I have had major hair loss now three times in my life. Twice after my two c-sections, and once when I quit BCPs. The doctor said that one was probably due to the removal of the artificial progesterone. It grew back the first two times, and it's finally growing back again, about 5 months after quitting the BCPs.

Hi, thanks for the info...I know I feel like such a big baby about the hair thing, I don't have that much to begin with, it's pretty thin, so hopefully with the sleeve, the Hair loss won't be that significant.

My Dr doesn't have me on a pre surg diet, just tells me to try and lose some or at least stay the same....You're right about the last meal thing....the only thing holding me back is that everytime I eat what I want, I gain 3 pounds...it's so discouraging...but I don't feel so bad knowing I will be able to eat anything I want, just in little portions and that is fine with me. I will just have ONE piece of Bloomin' Onion!!! I'm going on a vacation on the beach one week before my surgery, that will be a challenge.....my surgery is 2 days after we get back....I'm already hoping for a short recovery, mr Dr is saying 4 weeks off work, I'm saying 2....we'll see.....I just can't wait to be in the ONES.....(under 200)...I haven't seen those numbers for YEARS.....

I tried hitting the quote button to reply but it didn't give me an option to reply when it went to that page...if I don't figure this out soon I'm going to give up..!!!

4 weeks for VSG recovery? Is your's going to be an open procedure? If not, I was only off work for 4 days after being released from the hospital (and i was in there 3 nights).

If you hit quote - then type your response in the box that appears, then scroll down until you see the icons and then a box that reads "submit reply" and click on that, your message will appear with the message you quoted too. If you can't figure it out - no big deal - at least you know how to post!

I went back to work the day after discharge. I have a desk job and it can easily be done.

Hi White Rice,

I can't get this reply box by clicking on Quote, only if I click on Quick reply, so I don't know what the problem is or if it makes any difference? My Dr also had me go to about 4 support groups. I didn't really get much out of them, for one thing I am super painfully shy and can not talk to a group or to anyone I don't know. I know, I'm weird...I do much better in a writing mode....they want me to go after also, but I know I won't. Besides no one in the groups were having the sleeve done, and some of the stories were pretty depressing, it kind of freaked me out.

and WOW VegasAngel, just DAYS after you had surgery, you were back at work? That is awesome!!! For some reason my Dr is really persistant about taking SO much time after surgery. I'm hoping to convince him to let me go back early tho. I know I will be bored hanging around the house. Especially since I can't cook or EAT!! I can sit at my desk and sip Protein and Water all day.

About the hair thing AGAIN....i