Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band vs sleeve and surgery in Mexcio

Guest greatwhite@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest greatwhite@LBT

Help I don't know which to do and due to US cost and being private pay I am looking into Mexcio. Can any one help?????

Any in put would be helpful.

Thanks Gay:confused:

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest VegasGrace@LBT

I don't know what to tell you.

My options were the band and RnY. I chose the band.

But the sleeve....just don't know enough about it.

Guest Blix@LBT

Get the lap band and stick close to home if at all possible for the support your home town doctor can give you.

Guest Vicki J@LBT

I chose the lap band and my co-worker chose the sleeve. We've both had good results. I originally chose the band because my insurance paid for it. It also paid for GB but I'd have to be desperate for that one. It scares me too much.

After I had completed all of my research I decided that I was happier with the band because it's forever adjustible. The sleeve like the bypass can be stretched and then they are putting bands over them. Why not start out with the fix and never have the problem?

Just MHO.

Vicki

Guest Mal@LBT

greatwhite~I was a self pay. I went to Dr. Kirshenbaum in colorado. His cost is $9950, that is everything plus three months follow up care. Fills are $15.00. He is amazing, his staff is amazing and the surgical center is amazing. You should check him out. I have met many freinds that have traveled from Florida, Alaska, Arizona...all over to have Dr. K do their bands. Good luck!

click on my signature for more info on Dr. K

Guest Vicki J@LBT

I've heard some good things about him. Don't know anything personally though.

Guest Blix@LBT

I chose the lap band and my co-worker chose the sleeve. We've both had good results. I originally chose the band because my insurance paid for it. It also paid for GB but I'd have to be desperate for that one. It scares me too much.

After I had completed all of my research I decided that I was happier with the band because it's forever adjustible. The sleeve like the bypass can be stretched and then they are putting bands over them. Why not start out with the fix and never have the problem?

Just MHO.

Vicki

I think you made the wise choice. I would have never submitted to a GB. My ex-wife had one and she had problems from the get go. I just had my Lap Band May 16 and I have lost 26 lbs. I lost 50 from October to May by my doctor changing some of my meds. I no longer take meds for typeII diabetes, acid reflux med or vytorin. I am very pleased.:thumbup:

Guest terrasmom@LBT

Do not get the sleeve and do not get anything at all done in Mexico! You will need follow up fills and I don't know that any doctor here will be helping you once you go there. Almost all the doctors have payment plans and some like Dr. Spiegel offer discounts if you go private pay. Go that route intead is my advice.

Guest Kat817@LBT

Just do your research......end of story! Be very honest with yourself, about how you eat, how you are about follow up, what you want out of WLS.....how much work you are willing to do with it to make it work.

When you decide which surgery you are serious about then begin looking into surgeons with experience in that particular surgery.

If you choose to be banded, call your local band surgeons, or attend their seminars, and ask point blank about fills for outside banded patients. There are Dr.'s who do them---I have one, many people do.

In my case, I had originally chosen a surgeon out of Colorado, not Dr. K, not sure he was around doing them when I had mine done----don't remember to be honest! Anyway I went through close to a year with this surgeon in mind, and then insurance began a huge ordeal, and I was going to be forced to begin a year long supervised diet program, for the 2nd time. In the end, I did not find that acceptable, and chose to self pay---but his costs were way over my head. So I researched Mexico Dr.'s and actually discussed it with him, with my Uncle who is a MD, and read and talked to as many of his patients as possible.

Before I ever had surgery, my Dr.'s -- the surgeon, as well as the CO based surgeon I was planning to use for fills, and a local oncologist who agreed to do an emergency unfill for me if ever necessary----all spoke to one another on the phone.

I felt this was necessary because I am from a rural area. Traveling to Mexico would be fine if time and money allowed---which I knew they might not always! The original surgeon I chose was one of the closest to me, and he was still 6 hours away one way. So in an emergency even that seemed a long ways away, so that is when I spoke to my former oncologist about doing an emergency tap to my port for unfill purposes only. He spoke with the surgeon, my fill Dr. spoke to my surgeon, and only when all was agreed upon did I make my move to be banded in Mexico.

I could not have ask for a better experience. I have seen my surgeon/fill Dr. in CO no less than a dozen times, but have only needed 2 fills and one total unfill for my TT.

This surgery is happening to YOU---research and decide what works for YOU. People will tell you to DO THIS or DON'T DO THAT--well that may be their experience, and it might be fine for them, but this is for you. Many of us have been banded out of Mexico without issues. Some people have issues, some banded in the US have issues----it does happen. Finding a Dr. you can work with who treats you as a person not an ATM---one who will take your calls and answer your questions. One who is not simply pushing one type of surgery on you because that is what they prefer. That is what you want to find, wherever you find it.

There are also Fill Centers USA scattered around the country and they I understand specialize in fills for Mexican banded patients.

The best thing you can do is research until your eyes cross, and ask lots of questions of lots of people, and make lots of phone calls----it seems overwhelming in the beginning, but they can't eat ya over the phone I finally learned!!!

Good Luck in making your decision----and make it an informed one!!! Asking questions is the perfect first step!!!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

Guest Oregondaisy@LBT

I would get a sleeve in a heartbeat if anything ever happened to my band. The sleeve has it's good points. No after care, no erosion, no slips, no fills. They are using a part of the stomach now that is not stretchy. I have heard wonderful things about Kat's doctor.

Guest Vicki J@LBT

Blix - I bet you are pleased! Sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I have read so many posts on other boards about people having trouble with GB. It makes me sad.

I'm a big band advocate and I have the results to back me up.

Congratulations again!

Vicki

Guest Vicki J@LBT

I agree with Kat. She makes valid points.

As far as the sleeve or anyother WLS goes, I think it should be standard practice that there be a lot of follow-up initially. I personally think that this is why a lot of people are having troubles with other WLS because they go along thinking "this must be normal" and then wham they're in trouble. JMHO

Vicki

Guest anita_b@LBT

Hi, I'm 4 weeks out from having the sleeve done in Mexico. I have lost over 30 lbs. With the sleeve there is virtually no aftercare, so I did not have a problem going to Mexico. The only aftercare required with the sleeve is followup lab work.

I also think that some people confuse the sleeve with gastric banding, and some of the other surgeries. Complications with the sleeve are rare and there is no mal-absorption. Basically your digestion stays the same, you just have a smaller stomach.

I'm so glad that I did this!

Thanks for letting me throw in my 2 cents!

Guest anita_b@LBT

The sleeve like the bypass can be stretched and then they are putting bands over them. Why not start out with the fix and never have the problem?

Just MHO.

Vicki

Sorry, just need to make a small correction here. With the bypass they use the stretchy part of the stomach to make the pouch, so yes it can stretch over time. BUT with the sleeve they use the heavier, muscular part of the stomach to make the pouch, so there is no stretching.

Guest nlueck@LBT

anita b

do you mind me asking what doctor you used and at which clinic? i am considering the sleeve also

thanks