Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's me again...update & my experience!

Well, DH and I arrived back home Friday night. I have to say, flying is not my cup 'o tea! :laugh0: I get motion sickness easy & we hit some major turbulence from San Diego to Houston & I felt like I was on a roller coaster (which I always throw up on roller coasters :eek:). I had taken a Drammamine prior to leaving the hospital, but I think it had worn off by then...I could have taken another, but dumb me wanted to tough it out! I did take another when we arrived at Houston before our next flight, though. :thumbup: That flight went MUCH better!

Anyway, surgery went great. Dr. Aceves and his staff were just as everyone has said. DH and I felt very welcome & "special"! I did get sick the afternoon before surgery (again, motion sickness :frown1:) so I couldn't really enjoy a "last meal". I did have some potato & bacon Soup from the Lucerna...it was awesome! The Lucerna was a nice hotel with great room service...DH loved their room service, so that's saying something! :laugh0: But he also loved the hospital cafeteria food, too! :thumbup:

As far as the surgery goes, I don't remember much the day of surgery. I was the only one having surgery (I think) so I went first thing. The happy pill didn't have much affect on me, but whatever they put in that IV knocked me out cold! That's the last thing I remember before being wheeled back to my room. Dr. Aceves found a hernia that he repaired & said the surgery went without complications. As everyone has said, the 2nd day was the worst for me. I had to make myself get up to walk, but I knew walking would make me feel better. The day before going home was good...getting rid of some of the gas helped tremendously! Overall, I think I am recovering well. I am a bit weak & light headed at times, but feel pretty normal.

I am upset with my PCP, though. I called her office while at the hospital to get her to call in a prescription for a blood pressure med that could be crushed. After some back and forth with her office & the pharmacy (I still dont' know why my PCP wanted ME to talk to the pharmacy about different options, I thought that is what SHE should do!)...anyway, my PCP ends up leaving a voice mail on my DH's cell phone (I gave her MY cell number b/c DH's was dead) saying she won't give me anything without seeing me first! WTH?:cursing: So, I've had to go all weekend without BP meds! I've been checking it & it's not horrible, it runs anywhere between 130/80 & 145/95...not too bad for me being off my pills.

Oh, one thing I noticed immediately from surgery is the swelling in my legs & ankles is gone! I told my DH last night that it's been years since I've actually seen the bone in my leg because of the heavy swelling I've had. And the amazing part is that I haven't been taking my HCTZ(diuretic) because I didn't want to get dehydrated! So, hopefully I can come off of the diuretic completely!

Oh, I did get to meet two other members from here...I know one was independenceday, but I can't remember the others username (I met them on MY day 2, so...). They both had surgery the day before me. And while I was there, two ladies from LA came in to talk with me about my experience. They were sisters scheduled to be sleeved on the 15th. That was kinda cool! :biggrin2:

Hey there! I am the other one you met on day 2. Glad to hear you got home safe. I'm the same on the leg swelling, I don't have any at all either, yay! I feel tired easily and light headed. I'll be so glad to get past this liquid stage. :thumbup:

Darn - I missed you both -- DF was here for his pre-test on 7/10 and had his surgery on 7/11. I had an upper GI on 7/10.

Glad to hear you are both doing well. Want2BMe - not sure what BP you take, I am on Benicar and it can be crushed if that is any help at all.

Keep up with the good work and keep us posted on your progress -- sorry we didn't get to meet face-to-face.

We have got to meet Roseyandmusic, Soon2BSkinny, Eyfura's sister, and a woman from Alaska who isn't on this site yet, but probably will be soon.

Glad to hear you both made it home safe and sound!

Well, DH and I arrived back home Friday night. I have to say, flying is not my cup 'o tea! :laugh0: I get motion sickness easy & we hit some major turbulence from San Diego to Houston & I felt like I was on a roller coaster (which I always throw up on roller coasters :eek:). I had taken a Drammamine prior to leaving the hospital, but I think it had worn off by then...I could have taken another, but dumb me wanted to tough it out! I did take another when we arrived at Houston before our next flight, though. :thumbup: That flight went MUCH better!

Anyway, surgery went great. Dr. Aceves and his staff were just as everyone has said. DH and I felt very welcome & "special"! I did get sick the afternoon before surgery (again, motion sickness :frown1:) so I couldn't really enjoy a "last meal". I did have some potato & bacon Soup from the Lucerna...it was awesome! The Lucerna was a nice hotel with great room service...DH loved their room service, so that's saying something! :laugh0: But he also loved the hospital cafeteria food, too! :thumbup:

As far as the surgery goes, I don't remember much the day of surgery. I was the only one having surgery (I think) so I went first thing. The happy pill didn't have much affect on me, but whatever they put in that IV knocked me out cold! That's the last thing I remember before being wheeled back to my room. Dr. Aceves found a hernia that he repaired & said the surgery went without complications. As everyone has said, the 2nd day was the worst for me. I had to make myself get up to walk, but I knew walking would make me feel better. The day before going home was good...getting rid of some of the gas helped tremendously! Overall, I think I am recovering well. I am a bit weak & light headed at times, but feel pretty normal.

I am upset with my PCP, though. I called her office while at the hospital to get her to call in a prescription for a blood pressure med that could be crushed. After some back and forth with her office & the pharmacy (I still dont' know why my PCP wanted ME to talk to the pharmacy about different options, I thought that is what SHE should do!)...anyway, my PCP ends up leaving a voice mail on my DH's cell phone (I gave her MY cell number b/c DH's was dead) saying she won't give me anything without seeing me first! WTH?:cursing: So, I've had to go all weekend without BP meds! I've been checking it & it's not horrible, it runs anywhere between 130/80 & 145/95...not too bad for me being off my pills.

Oh, one thing I noticed immediately from surgery is the swelling in my legs & ankles is gone! I told my DH last night that it's been years since I've actually seen the bone in my leg because of the heavy swelling I've had. And the amazing part is that I haven't been taking my HCTZ(diuretic) because I didn't want to get dehydrated! So, hopefully I can come off of the diuretic completely!

Oh, I did get to meet two other members from here...I know one was independenceday, but I can't remember the others username (I met them on MY day 2, so...). They both had surgery the day before me. And while I was there, two ladies from LA came in to talk with me about my experience. They were sisters scheduled to be sleeved on the 15th. That was kinda cool! :biggrin2:

Congrats on getting your life back! I'm so glad your surgery went well. It's a relief to have it over with, eh? ;o)

Keep posting, we'll get you through the hard part... the first month after surgery!

Welcome to the losers side!!!!

Congradulations on your new life. You will do well and will soon be posting all those skinny pictures of yourself. LOL

Keep us updated on your progress. Judy

It is wonderful that you guys are doing so well, now for the really cool part, the journey to a healthier you!

Yes, I echo what WASa said . Welcome to the loser side! Glad to hear your'e back and on the road to recovery.