Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removal and sleeve done at same time?

I would like to know if it is common to remove a band and get the sleeve in just one operation. If you have a band that hasn't been working (no restriction) and you want the sleeve will they do that all at the same time?

Theresa

I would like to know if it is common to remove a band and get the sleeve in just one operation. If you have a band that hasn't been working (no restriction) and you want the sleeve will they do that all at the same time?

Theresa

I know it is possible, as there are several members on this forum that have had it done. I am sure it depends on many factors. However, yes, it is possible.

Hi Theresa. I had my band removed and the sleeve done all at the same time. I was having a lot of problems with my band, so Dr. Aceves required that I have a complete unfill three weeks prior to my surgery. Then, just to make sure there was no swelling from the complications I had with the band, he did require me to do a week of liquids prior to my surgery. As far as the surgery itself, everything went great.

Theresa

My band had 8.6 cc in it and I did a pre-op diet for a week before having a revision to the VSG as my BMI was > 40. The band was taken out at the same time the VSG was done.

I am another person who had my band removed and my sleeve done at the same time. I am really glad I did. Living with the sleeve is like living a normal life, compared to the band.

Theresa

Ditto to what the others wrote. I have my band removed and a revision done a year ago and I'm telling you, the band sucks and the sleeve rocks! The difference is night and day.

If you do not have a slip, erosion, inflammation, etc., there is little reason not to do it in one procedure. Matter of fact the Standard of Care in the US is to do it in one procedure, less OR risk.

What's up with your band?

Well, I have had my band since Dec 2004 and lost about 25 lbs which was all from the liquid diet that you are on following surgery. At 6 days post op I was feeling extremely hungry and was very dissappointed because my Dr told me that with the band you won't be hungry at all. I have 8 cc in a 10 cc Vanguard Inamed band and feel no restiction. I have never had any restriction. When I talked to my Dr about this a few months after surgery they said I needed to eat meat and raw veggies. I can't do that for Breakfast lunch and dinner and am not a big meat eater. Makes me mad because before surgery I was told that 3-4 oz of food would fill me up and I wouldn't be able to eat for 4-5 hrs. What a bunch of hooey! They never mentioned that I would have to eat meat and raw veggies for every meal for the rest of my life. .........Anyway, researching the sleeve sounds like it will get rid of my hunger and my stomach will be very small. No adjustments or tweaking or eating meat for every meal. I think it will work. I think I can lose weight with a restrictive only procedure, I just didn't get any restriction from the first procedure (band).

Well, I have had my band since Dec 2004 and lost about 25 lbs which was all from the liquid diet that you are on following surgery. At 6 days post op I was feeling extremely hungry and was very dissappointed because my Dr told me that with the band you won't be hungry at all. I have 8 cc in a 10 cc Vanguard Inamed band and feel no restiction. I have never had any restriction. When I talked to my Dr about this a few months after surgery they said I needed to eat meat and raw veggies. I can't do that for breakfast lunch and dinner and am not a big meat eater. Makes me mad because before surgery I was told that 3-4 oz of food would fill me up and I wouldn't be able to eat for 4-5 hrs. What a bunch of hooey! They never mentioned that I would have to eat meat and raw veggies for every meal for the rest of my life. .........Anyway, researching the sleeve sounds like it will get rid of my hunger and my stomach will be very small. No adjustments or tweaking or eating meat for every meal. I think it will work. I think I can lose weight with a restrictive only procedure, I just didn't get any restriction from the first procedure (band).

You were given a sales pitch vs. honesty IMHO.

One thing I will suggest, stop and think long and hard about something. A sleeve is restrictive only just like a band is restrictive only. If you do not have great restriction are you making wise food choices? What is your white carb intake daily? Are you resorting to high calorie foods and white carbs or are you at least making excellent choices in the meantime?

The reason I ask is that I think most people need malabsorption and a good guide is to look at what you are eating when the band isn't working. I had nothing but band problems from the start but I didn't fall into the trap that a lot of banded folks say. They claim that they can't eat good foods, it won't go through the band. That's a crock, a total crock. If you can drink milkshakes you can drink Protein shakes. If you can eat chips and dip you can eat dried veggies. See what I mean?

Over the last 5.5 years what have your food choices been? Are you leaning more towards poor food choices or really good foods but just a lot of them?

It's really an important question to ask yourself because if you are still struggling with poor food choices a sleeve might not be your best option. You'll be able to eat those same foods with a sleeve. It's something that nobody can decide for you, only you know if you can do it with restriction alone.

I hear you about no restriction, many have that problem. If we could manage quantity on our own we wouldn't have needed WLS to begin with. We can all eat around any surgery type, I sure did it last weekend! I did it in a big way. ;o) But that's not my usual. Point being, it is easier to eat around a band or sleeve than it is bypass or DS. White carbs are a killer, that's what got us in the mess we were in at the time of surgery. Some really can't give up white carbs.

Just something to think about.

Glad to have you here, if there is anything we can do for you please let us know!

Having 8 cc in a VG band and still no restriction raises the question of a possible errosion of your band. You should request that your physician send you to a gastroenterologist for an upper GI endoscopy. You should have the band deflated first to permit the endoscope to cross through the band. If there is an erosion, the band will need to be removed. Revision to a sleeve gastrectomy if possible would have to be at a later time, not simultaneous with band removal.