Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got a date to talk to the surgeon.

I finally got a call today for my pre-op appt. and visit with the surgeon. July 10th They said I would be there all day.

It took 5 weeks to hear from anyone after the seminar and paper work.

My insurance will only pay for the band or bypass. NO exceptions.

I told the coordinator that I wanted the sleeve. She said the insurance will pay for all my pre testing and lab work.

I wouldn't have to pay for the program fee if I was self pay.

That helps alot. I would cost me about the same as going to see Dr. Aceves.

My husband was told he would be layed off from his job this winter. I am trying not to put us in too much debt.

Here is an idea that I have. I wonder if the insurance will cover the mini bypass. Then while the surgeon was doing the mini-by-pass he could make me a sleeve instead of just closing off that part of the stomach. I could pay him his fee for the sleeve.

Does that make sence? What is your opinion on this? Does the mini bypass work for people? Thanks, Judy:svengo:

Judy -

SO GLAD you finally heard something from someone. I am sure you are relieved about that.

Can't answer your question about a mini-bypass as I have no idea what that even is. Although I am sure one of our nurses will know what you are talking about and will advise.

From what WASa says, and I know she is very knowledgeable, the mini bypass is a bad surgery to get.

Maybe you should send her a pm if she doesn't chime in on this thread.

I'm really glad you got a date with the surgeon. I'm unfamiliar with the mini-bypass, and hope someone has some answers for you.

Thanks Ladies,

I hope to find out something soon. I think I will start the low carb, low fat, high protien diet this weekend. Maybe I can go ahead and be fitted in before the end of July. I have to go back to work soon. Hugs, Judy

The mini-bypass is not one of the surgeries that the ASMBS has put their stamp of approval on. It's dangerous, for one thing.

Sometimes insurance will pay for a DS and the surgeon goes in and can't actually completely it due to scar tissue or something. So they just do the sleeve stomach part and you get no malabsorption.

I finally got a call today for my pre-op appt. and visit with the surgeon. July 10th They said I would be there all day.

It took 5 weeks to hear from anyone after the seminar and paper work.

My insurance will only pay for the band or bypass. NO exceptions.

I told the coordinator that I wanted the sleeve. She said the insurance will pay for all my pre testing and lab work.

I wouldn't have to pay for the program fee if I was self pay.

That helps alot. I would cost me about the same as going to see Dr. Aceves.

My husband was told he would be layed off from his job this winter. I am trying not to put us in too much debt.

Here is an idea that I have. I wonder if the insurance will cover the mini bypass. Then while the surgeon was doing the mini-by-pass he could make me a sleeve instead of just closing off that part of the stomach. I could pay him his fee for the sleeve.

Does that make sence? What is your opinion on this? Does the mini bypass work for people? Thanks, Judy:svengo:

Ins does not usually cover MGB, it's quite dangerous. Only the slimebag surgeons even offer it.

To have ins pay for MGB and then do a sleeve is called fraud. ;o) The ins co is going to catch on to that one and you will be paying the full price yourself.

Some people are electing to have DS in a two part procedure and they go in for the first half, the sleeve, and then they just never go back for the 2nd half, the DS. That is fraud as well and ins co's are starting to crack down on this. There is a doctor in TX that just got into a world of trouble for doing this. The ins co took back all the money they paid out for DS when the sleeve was done. They approved DS and 100% of the time he only did a sleeve.

What seems like a good idea is turning out to come back and bite some people in the butt.

Thank you Wasa for that info.. After all the stress over the insurance company and lack of communication from Surgeons office I'm 90% sure I am not going to give them anymore of my time.

I'm sure I don't want to get into any fraud issues.

I have contacted Dr. Aceves office and am waiting to hear back from them. I feel like that is the right thing to do. Thank you for all your help.

This board has been a life saver for me. Hugs, Judy

Thank you Wasa for that info.. After all the stress over the insurance company and lack of communication from Surgeons office I'm 90% sure I am not going to give them anymore of my time.

I'm sure I don't want to get into any fraud issues.

I have contacted Dr. Aceves office and am waiting to hear back from them. I feel like that is the right thing to do. Thank you for all your help.

This board has been a life saver for me. Hugs, Judy

Here is something about MGB, a bit of history:

Gastric bypass surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Loop Gastric bypass ("Mini-gastric bypass")

The first use of the gastric bypass, in 1967, used a loop of small bowel for re-construction, rather than a Y-construction as is prevalent today. Although simpler to create, this approach allowed bile and pancreatic enzymes from the small bowel to enter the esophagus, sometimes causing severe inflammation and ulceration of either the stomach or the lower esophagus. If a leak into the abdomen occurs, this corrosive Fluid can cause severe consequences. Numerous studies show the loop reconstruction (Billroth II gastrojejunostomy) works more safely when placed low on the stomach, but can be a disaster when placed adjacent to the esophagus. Thus even today thousands of "loops" are used for general surgical procedures such as ulcer surgery, stomach cancer and injury to the stomach, but bariatric surgeons abandoned use of the construction in the 1970s, when it was recognized that its risk is not justified for weight management.

The Mini-Gastric Bypass, which uses the loop reconstruction, has been suggested as an alternative to the Roux en-Y procedure, due to the simplicity of its construction, which reduced the challenge of laparoscopic surgery.

It's really quite dangerous. It is technically an easy procedure to do and any WLS surgeon can do it but there is good reason why 99.9% of them refuse to do it.

You will be very happy when you have your surgery by Dr. Aceves. The whole experience was more like a vacation for me. I loved being there!