Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something I read on that other board

On OH, I read a thread that said that having ghrelin decreased causes memory loss. Do you think there is any truth to that?

Since being sleeved, I keep losing things. It's like I have no memory left at all where I put things.

WasA? Elizabeth? Anyone else know if this could possibly be true?

Edited by Oregondaisy

On OH, I read a thread that said that having ghrelin decreased causes memory loss. Do you think

there is any truth to that?

Since being sleeved, I have lost my mp3 player,

my dad's gold chain, and now my keys. I definitely feel like my memory has suddenly gotten worse.

WasA? Elizabeth? Anyone else know if this could possibly be true?

I'm sorry ... what was your question? I forgot .... LOL - just kidding.

I've heard that the effects of anesthesia can cause temporary memory loss ... me, I just feel a bit ditzy, but not any more forgetful than I was before the surgery.

I was looking for you in the chat room

I was looking for you in the chat room

Sorry - my daughter-in-law and grandson were over for dinner and play time and didn't leave until 9; then I had to read all the posts, after cleaning up the kitchen, loading the dishwasher -- and I'm going to bed very soon.

I had a really rough day today - felt like I was going to through up all day and nothing I did got rid of the feeling.

I walked in the front door, kissed DF and said I'm going to bed, please wake me up at 6:15 (company was to be here at 6:30), climbed into bed and I was out ... I'm not ready to go back to bed and hope that tomorrow is a better day!

I have not heard about memory loss being related to gherlin. Maybe they meant that trying to get in all the required nutrients in the early phase of the post-op course led to a foggy memory? Since gherlin plays a big role in hunger, some people have to remind themselves to eat. The brain only requires two things to stay alive... glucose and oxygen. Memory is composed of many variables.

Maybe I will go back there and copy/paste the article.

I know it makes no sense to me how the two could be related.

I think I remember reading that two, it was in an online article about grelin that I found right after I had my partial gastrectomy, I will try to find it again

That would be great Ruthi. I would like to read it again, and things are so hard to find on OH.

It's a controversial area. The studies aren't clear. Plus they were done on people with normal ghrelin levels who had partial gastrectomies so they aren't 100% applicable to us.

However, any stressful situation can cause problems with focus and memory. I started flaking out about 1 month pre-op and I'm still about the same.

Well I hope it goes away because it's really getting annoying. Since surgery I have lost my keys, my daughter's keys, my dad's gold chain and my mp3 player.

I am beginning to feel like a crazy person. No comments from the peanut gallery.

Well I hope it goes away because it's really getting annoying. Since surgery I have lost my keys, my daughter's keys, my dad's gold chain and my mp3 player.

I am beginning to feel like a crazy person. No comments from the peanut gallery.

Have you ever considered it may be due to all the stress you've been under since your surgery? Your dad's fall, his death, having to deal with all of that, plus your job and having just gone through surgery? Just a thought.

yeah, I have considered that, but I sure would like to find my keys. My daughter gave me keys to her house so I could feed her animals and I lost those. Then I used her hide a key and lost that too. This is getting ridiculous.