Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airlines/Nursing homes/ this and that

Some of my fellow sleeve sisters know I have been dealing with a great amount of stress due to my 90 year old father falling down shortly after his 90th birthday in April. He broke his pelvis at that time and was sent to a nursing home to recover. In that time, the nursing home lost his teeth and he lost 20 lbs in a little over a month. They were supposed to be watching him and taking him outside to smoke. Unfortunately, nursing homes being short staffed as they usually are, he tried to go outside to smoke by himself, flipped over in his wheelchair and broke his hip. He had surgery but the pain and suffering was too great and he died last friday.

Then to top it off, the airlines would not give me a credit when I called to tell them that I could not make my flight because my dad was dying. They said I called too late to cancel my flight. I couldn't do it online, and every time I tried to call, I had to hang up after being on hold for over a half an hour. I finally had to have his doctor fax them a letter explaining why I could not drop everything and run off to the airport. I just called to book

reservations for my daughter and me to fly home this weekend, and was told I still don't have a credit because this is "under investigation"

The only good thing about all of this is my sleeve. I forget to eat because I am not hungry. Normally, I would be eating junk food like crazy because that is what I do when I am stressed out. My brother took my kids, their spouses and me out to a fabulous Greek restaurant (I am Greek and love Greek food) but I really was not interested in eating. It was amusing to me to watch everyone else eat and not feel like I was missing out by just having Soup.< /p>

Okay that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I hope this is permanent and food is no longer an obsession for me!

Some of my fellow sleeve sisters know I have been dealing with a great amount of stress due to my 90 year old father falling down shortly after his 90th birthday in April. He broke his pelvis at that time and was sent to a nursing home to recover. In that time, the nursing home lost his teeth and he lost 20 lbs in a little over a month. They were supposed to be watching him and taking him outside to smoke. Unfortunately, nursing homes being short staffed as they usually are, he tried to go outside to smoke by himself, flipped over in his wheelchair and broke his hip. He had surgery but the pain and suffering was too great and he died last friday.

Then to top it off, the airlines would not give me a credit when I called to tell them that I could not make my flight because my dad was dying. They said I called too late to cancel my flight. I couldn't do it online, and every time I tried to call, I had to hang up after being on hold for over a half an hour. I finally had to have his doctor fax them a letter explaining why I could not drop everything and run off to the airport. I just called to book

reservations for my daughter and me to fly home this weekend, and was told I still don't have a credit because this is "under investigation"

The only good thing about all of this is my sleeve. I forget to eat because I am not hungry. Normally, I would be eating junk food like crazy because that is what I do when I am stressed out. My brother took my kids, their spouses and me out to a fabulous Greek restaurant (I am Greek and love Greek food) but I really was not interested in eating. It was amusing to me to watch everyone else eat and not feel like I was missing out by just having Soup.< /p>

Okay that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I hope this is permanent and food is no longer an obsession for me!

Denise, I am so so so sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Time will heal the pain of losing him and soon you will be filled with all the happy times you shared and the knowledge that he was able to live 90 years and to see you grow into a wonderful daughter and mother. He may not be here in the physical person; however, he will always be in your heart and his spirit will be with you always. Hang in there!

I"m so sorry about your dad. And that airline sucks!

some of my fellow sleeve sisters know i have been dealing with a great amount of stress due to my 90 year old father falling down shortly after his 90th birthday in april. He broke his pelvis at that time and was sent to a nursing home to recover. In that time, the nursing home lost his teeth and he lost 20 lbs in a little over a month. They were supposed to be watching him and taking him outside to smoke. Unfortunately, nursing homes being short staffed as they usually are, he tried to go outside to smoke by himself, flipped over in his wheelchair and broke his hip. He had surgery but the pain and suffering was too great and he died last friday.

Then to top it off, the airlines would not give me a credit when i called to tell them that i could not make my flight because my dad was dying. They said i called too late to cancel my flight. I couldn't do it online, and every time i tried to call, i had to hang up after being on hold for over a half an hour. I finally had to have his doctor fax them a letter explaining why i could not drop everything and run off to the airport. I just called to book

reservations for my daughter and me to fly home this weekend, and was told i still don't have a credit because this is "under investigation"

the only good thing about all of this is my sleeve. I forget to eat because i am not hungry. Normally, i would be eating junk food like crazy because that is what i do when i am stressed out. My brother took my kids, their spouses and me out to a fabulous greek restaurant (i am greek and love greek food) but i really was not interested in eating. It was amusing to me to watch everyone else eat and not feel like i was missing out by just having Soup.< /p>

Okay that's my story and i'm sticking to it. I hope this is permanent and food is no longer an obsession for me!

((((hugs))))

I am also sorry to hear about your dad.

On a positive note, the airlines, and their rotten service are what give someone like me a job.

I think they will credit you eventually, if it is a major. If it is a feeder, or regional, all bets are off.

Thanks everyone. It's such a big mess. My name is only on his checking account which has all the bills automatically deducted out of, and now social security will no longer be depositing.

He has his money spread out all over the place, and I have to write to them to see if I was named beneficiary. I am sure I am, but that does not help me at the moment.

He gave me a key to his safety deposit box and it's not the right key. I have searched high and low for his key, but it looks like I will have to have the box drilled for $150 to get inside it.

Things can't keep getting worse, right?

Well I finally found the safety deposit box key. It was in his travel bag that I decided to take the airport to put my lap top in. A lot of good it did for me to find it on a Sunday when the banks were closed.

I advise everyone not to put off making wills and making sure you have beneficiars on any bank accounts. This is going to be a big mess to straighten out. I am really glad I dragged my parents screaming and kicking their way to an attorney's office to make me power of attorney and have wills drawn up. I can't even imagine what a worse mess this would all be if the hadn't done that. They insisted it was not necessary because my name was on everything , but it turns out it was not. It could be months to get it straighten out, and the bills are rolling in.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Well I finally found the safety deposit box key. It was in his travel bag that I decided to take the airport to put my lap top in. A lot of good it did for me to find it on a Sunday when the banks were closed.

I advise everyone not to put off making wills and making sure you have beneficiarys on any bank accounts. This is going to be a big mess to straighten out. I am really glad I dragged my parents screaming and kicking their way to an attorney's office to make me power of attorney and have wills drawn up. I can't even imagine what a worse mess this would all be if the hadn't done that. They insisted it was not necessary because my name was on everything , but it turns out it was not. It could be months to get it straighten out, and the bills are rolling in.

Being in the legal field, I strongly suggest you find a good and reputable probate attorney that can handle all the matters for you and all you need do is sign the paperwork ... I used to work probate/estate and there is a lot of work involved ... you're better off to pay someone to do all the leg work/court work for you.

yeah, I was planning on doing that. My dad had a great lawyer who handled his case when he was tripped at the movie theater by an employee. I talked to him all the time because my dad didn't want to talk to him. He wanted me to do his talking for him. He told me his partner was an estate probate attorney. I didn't have the # in Arizona with me because I thought I was going for a visit, not a funeral.

I already called him today.

What do you do in the legal field? I work for an attorney as well.

yeah, I was planning on doing that. My dad had a great lawyer who handled his case when he was tripped at the movie theater by an employee. I talked to him all the time because my dad didn't want to talk to him. He wanted me to do his talking for him. He told me his partner was an estate probate attorney. I didn't have the # in Arizona with me because I thought I was going for a visit, not a funeral.

I already called him today.

What do you do in the legal field? I work for an attorney as well.

I'm a paralegal. Up until 2 years ago I had always worked insurance defense; however, things have changed so much in Las Vegas with a lot of California firms coming in and "merging" or buying out Las Vegas firms, that I decided to make a change ... so in October 2007 I started working for a personal injury law firm ... probably the ONLY one that I would ever work for in Las Vegas as they are not ambulance chasers and truly care about their clients ... most do not, are only in it for the money. It's a well-established, small firm and I love it. Although working Plaintiff is quite a bit different than defense, so it is a challenge at well - but then that keeps my mind active, which is good.

What do you do?

I am not a para legal but the attorney I work for also does personal injury as well as

employment law and workman's compensation. She calls me her legal secretary but I don't feel that I am one. Everything I know, I learned on the job. Sometimes I wish I had gone to school to be a legal secretary because then I would know all the things she expects from me.

She likes to hire people who aren't legal secretaries so she can pay them less.

I am not a para legal but the attorney I work for also does personal injury as well as

employment law and workman's compensation. She calls me her legal secretary but I don't feel that I am one. Everything I know, I learned on the job. Sometimes I wish I had gone to school to be a legal secretary because then I would know all the things she expects from me.

She likes to hire people who aren't legal secretaries so she can pay them less.

Well I didn't go to school -- I started out as a legal secretary straight out of high school at 18 years of age and didn't know much at all ... everything I have learned, I have learned through hands-on experience and I think that you learn more that way than you do in any school. I know when attorneys get out of law school, they know the law, but nothing else and was once told by a new attorney that the best thing a new attorney could have is an experienced secretary. I have been in the legal field for 34 years so I have learned alot; however, every day I continue to learn. Stick with it and as your experience increases, make her pay you more or move to another firm ... if I can help in any way, let me know - although the laws are different in Oregon than in Nevada, some stuff is just the same all the way around ... and also, we often need referals in other states, so I'll keep in mind that you are in Oregon ... "talk" to later.