Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sweetners

the artificial sweetners trigger Migraines for me, we just recently, after many years of suffering figured this out! I'm not using stivia or sun crystals (which i prefer) - it is stivia and cane sugar. I have not gotten the sleeve yet, just made the decision two weeks ago. I have an appt. with my doctor after the first of the year and hope to have it done in early spring!! Will sun crystals be a no no?? :thumbup: 5 calories per packet.

the artificial sweetners trigger Migraines for me, we just recently, after many years of suffering figured this out! I'm not using stivia or sun crystals (which i prefer) - it is stivia and cane sugar. I have not gotten the sleeve yet, just made the decision two weeks ago. I have an appt. with my doctor after the first of the year and hope to have it done in early spring!! Will sun crystals be a no no?? :thumbup: 5 calories per packet.

Should not be a problem, I used some raw cane sugar (1/2 tsp) on my tiny bit of porridge before I found Stevia in individual packets, those few calories are not a problem! I was eating porridge after 3 weeks or so from my sleeve surgery, not every day but alternated with other things I liked for Breakfast. Your tastes aften change after this surgery, so don't stock up on very many things beforehand. Best get unflavored whey Protein to add to your own beverages/food and that way you can avoid artificial sweeteners in them.

Cheers, and welcome to the board, keep us posted on your progress!

Donna:001_cool:

thank you so much....one more question!! i know we can't drink while we are eating, but how long beforehand should we NOT drink anything, and how long afterwards do we wait before drinking Water, tea or whatever? again, thanks, I can't wait!! :w00t:

I drink right up until I take the first bite of food. I wait 30-45 minutes after eating to drink anything. Sometimes, I only wait 20 minutes depending on what I've eaten.

Drinking pushes the food through faster, and I've found the longer I wait to drink that I stay full/satisfied for a longer period of time.

i appreciate the replies, thanks y'all.

I dont personally think regular amounts of artificial sweeteners is a good idea - OK i'm phobic about them in particular - but really, anything like that in quantity is risky in my book.

It is just so much easier to train yourself not to need it. Why do you need to sweeten tea or coffee? Its so easy to give it up, you get used to it in 2 weeks, max, its a much easier task than dieting in general.

And I also believe artificially sweetening things keeps you with that pesky sweet tooth and makes you overeat sweet foods - things like soft drinks, popsicles, sweets, puddings, cordials, etc are just not foods you need or should be eating daily anyway - eat something natural and healthy instead. When you want something sweet, then have it with the sugar. When you're mindful of the calories/carbs then you're much more likely to eat appropriate amounts of it.

That's my major beef with Protein shakes and bars. They are sources of Protein yes, but they come with a whole lot of rubbish in them that you dont need and that some people believe are actually dangerous and every one I have ever tried is appallingly sweet. They are not (in my opinion anyway), everyday foods because they are usually artificially sweetened. Maybe a risk/benefit thing given the small stomachs of WLS patients though. Unflavoured protein sounds like a much better deal to me.

But after that rather sanctimonious lecture, something's got to kill you anyway and if that's your cup of tea, why not? I can just thing of far more pleasant ways to kill myself, real sugar being one of them, lol. I swear every time I ingest diet coke I can feel a brain tumour growing, I'm really phobic about it, but I'll eat somethign like a hot dog (lord knows what's in THOSE) without a qualm.

Edited by Jachut

anything that is sugar free has artificial sweetner in it, which concerns me with my frequent Migraines. I'm on a preventive medication, and also have a stash of Imitrex, but I get more than my fair share per month! I can drink iced tea without lemon or sweetner, I do NOT like 'real' sugar in it, but coffee, especially Starbucks...yikes, as my grandfather would say, that stuff would put hair on your chest. I have to have milk and sweetner!! I LOVE IT, BUT.....LOL I feel so much better, and the migraines are LESS since I am OFF sweet 'n low and do am cautious about 'sugar free' anything.....I discovered this in July. I have never been a big Diet Coke fan, I don't like the after taste, and we've never ever kept soft drinks in our house. A fountain coke occasionally, but it's not my thing...thank goodness. WHAT is the thing with the sleeve and band and carbonation???!! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! Have a nice Saturday! I'm headed out to do a little shopping!