Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have people who don't know you've had surgery noticed you're losing weight? Do you still look in the mirror and see the same person?

A few people where I work commented that they noticed I am losing weight and given me compliments. As a life long fat human being, I'm used to negative comments, looks, and stares. Strangely, I think I'm even more comfortable getting nasty comments.

When I was leaving work this AM, I got an unexpected glance of a reflection of myself and was surprised that I did look a little smaller to myself. So, how does everyone else handle comments about their weight loss? Are you adapting easily to your changing body?

Have people who don't know you've had surgery noticed you're losing weight? Do you still look in the mirror and see the same person?

A few people where I work commented that they noticed I am losing weight and given me compliments. As a life long fat human being, I'm used to negative comments, looks, and stares. Strangely, I think I'm even more comfortable getting nasty comments.

When I was leaving work this AM, I got an unexpected glance of a reflection of myself and was surprised that I did look a little smaller to myself. So, how does everyone else handle comments about their weight loss? Are you adapting easily to your changing body?

I haven't had the opportunity - YET - however, I always remember my mom saying "You stay fat in your mind longer than in your body" after she had lost over 100 lbs. and kept it off .. I will be interested to see if that is true ...will keep you posted as my weight comes off ...

I think your Mom is correct. "Seeing" ourselves the way others do is going to take quite a bit of time.

I think everyone has a mental image of themselves and whatever weight they actually are, they still "see" themselves at that weight. Mine is in the 155-165 range. So when I was going down, I saw myself as looking fantastic and accepted all compliments as my due. Then I got below that mental image and I started freaking out when I saw myself in the mirror. I didn't recognize myself.

I also, even though I am able to buy clothes without trying them on (sometimes) and do a reasonable job, still think of myself as slightly tubby. When I was MO, I wore a two-piece bathing suit sometimes. Granted, it had big shorts that covered everything and the top went down my midrif so that only about an inch of skin showed. But I was still enormous and in a 2 piece and I was okay with it. (I like 2 pieces because it's easier to go to the bathroom in them!)

Now that I am a normal weight, I had to really talk myself into getting a two-piece suit. Granted, this one shows a lot more skin. But my top is totally thin and my bottom only has a slight spare tire. Yet I was convinced everyone at the pool was thinking I was nuts to be wearing that suit.

That's just an example. There have been other times when it hits me that I'm thinking of myself as bigger than I actually am.

I have lost 42lbs and this morning gettting ready for work I really noticed it in my face. But I don't feel like I have lost that much weight.

the coolest thing I did was move about 8 months after my band surgery .....85 lbs gone! no one at our new school or area ever knew me fat! first people since 4th grade and i was 37 then!

it was amazing.....and gave me a lift that no mirror ever did! people really did see me as more confident and such!

it was enough of a differece that one of my children's ei therpists told me how nice i was by letting eric keep photos of his first wife up (they were me).......i do have a few on the walls.... i actually used to hide from photos.......

Self Image has always been an issue for me. When I was in high school (after being a fat kid) I was literally a skeleton, yet I saw a fatty in the mirror. As the years passed, my weight went up and I felt even more fat. Now here's the thing, I look back at pictures from those days of when I "thought" I was fat, and let me tell you, I looked awesome. Now that I truly AM obese, I'd give anything to be in the shoes I was in just a few years ago. I hope that through my years of struggling, I will finally learn to be happy with my weight as I lose. You know that saying, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone." Well, I hope I have learned my lesson and at this point, even 20 pounds down will be a blessing. I truly need to learn to love what I have.

Rose

Sleeve Surgery Date 8/7/09

Dr. Aceves

Self Image has always been an issue for me. When I was in high school (after being a fat kid) I was literally a skeleton, yet I saw a fatty in the mirror. As the years passed, my weight went up and I felt even more fat. Now here's the thing, I look back at pictures from those days of when I "thought" I was fat, and let me tell you, I looked awesome. Now that I truly AM obese, I'd give anything to be in the shoes I was in just a few years ago. I hope that through my years of struggling, I will finally learn to be happy with my weight as I lose. You know that saying, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone." Well, I hope I have learned my lesson and at this point, even 20 pounds down will be a blessing. I truly need to learn to love what I have.

Rose

Dr. Aceves

Very well said. I am trying to stay away from the scale and concentrate on how my clothes fit (looser) and my eating patterns (finally healthy!) rather than worrying and wondering.

Rose

Dr. Aceves

That sounds like me -- I thought I was so fat at 125 lbs. (I'm 5'8-1/2") and now when I look at those pics, I think the same thing --- what I wouldn't give to be that size now!. I've always said that weight didn't matter to me, it was more how my clothes fit; although I am sure I will be on the scale in the beginning.

I remember feeling fat at 110 lb. Granted, I was about 4' 11", but still... I'm 118 now and only 2 inches taller and I am TINY.

I remember feeling fat at 110 lb. Granted, I was about 4' 11", but still... I'm 118 now and only 2 inches taller and I am TINY.

You were tiny at 110 Mac ... and still are now -- DAMN!

I had more pudge because I wasn't in shape. I was very curvy, which the guys liked, but I saw it as "if I only lost 10 lb., I'd be perfect." I know now I was crazy. What I really needed to do was workout and get some muscle and stay the same weight. :cool0:

I had more pudge because I wasn't in shape. I was very curvy, which the guys liked, but I saw it as "if I only lost 10 lb., I'd be perfect." I know now I was crazy. What I really needed to do was workout and get some muscle and stay the same weight. :cool0:

Don't you wish we all knew then what we know now? If I had known even 1/2 of what I know now, I don't think I would have had a weight problem ... as they say, hindsight is 20/20.