Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to Exercising

I bought a Bowflex Power Pro second hand (it's circa 2004 model). but I'm having a problem with the exercises. I have the book, but it doesn't describe in detail how to set the machine up for each exercise, nor does it explain how to choose how much weight to use. I'm going to see the exercise physiologist today, and I will ask him questions. Does anybody out there have an old dvd or video tape of this machine?

You might check on Amazon or e-bay and see if someone is selling one ... check Craig's list too ... you might even go to bowflex online and see if they have old manuals you can get.

I think a bikini is out of the question but I will have new knees and no pain! yes!

Be sure to keep us posted on your knee replacements... I'm going to be having to have bilateral knee replacements down the road ... I'm pretty much bone-on-bone and once the cortisone quits working, I'm sure that will be the next step ... my ortho is trying to keep me going until at least 55 ... that's 4 years away ... so hoping that the weight loss will help; I'm sure it can't hurt.

Fiance and I went bike riding tonight for about 30 minutes ... I had to quit due to the fact that my knees were hurting so bad; other than that, I could have continued 30 minutes, maybe more.

May have to stick to walking and pilates.

I've been doing aqua aerobics at our local high school pool twice a week for an hour at a time. I love it! I look forward to going every time. I work my butt off and it feels great. I also exercise at home doing circuit training and exercise videos, but aqua aerobics is by far my favorite. Good luck to you~

Be sure to keep us posted on your knee replacements... I'm going to be having to have bilateral knee replacements down the road ... I'm pretty much bone-on-bone and once the cortisone quits working, I'm sure that will be the next step ... my ortho is trying to keep me going until at least 55 ... that's 4 years away ... so hoping that the weight loss will help; I'm sure it can't hurt.

Fiance and I went bike riding tonight for about 30 minutes ... I had to quit due to the fact that my knees were hurting so bad; other than that, I could have continued 30 minutes, maybe more.

May have to stick to walking and pilates.

I have scheduled the surgery for the first week in Sept. and both knees will be replaced a week apart. Bike riding is a great exercise but I am unable to get more than a 90 degree bend in either knee making that exercise impossible for me to do.

The x-rays showed that the cartilege in both knees is gone and that I'm actually grinding bone away evidenced by bone dust on the x-rays. So, I'm going to continue to work with the trainer and try and get as much weight off as I can by the time of surgery.

I must say this was the first surgeon who did not make my weight an issue. He saw my highest weight was 440 and I was 258 that day (6/9). His response was that he was surprised I was able to walk without a walker or cane and that once he gave me back my knees, he had no doubt I would be able to lose to goal. Ahhhh... an MD with a brain and heart.

I bought a Bowflex Power Pro second hand (it's circa 2004 model). but I'm having a problem with the exercises. I have the book, but it doesn't describe in detail how to set the machine up for each exercise, nor does it explain how to choose how much weight to use. I'm going to see the exercise physiologist today, and I will ask him questions. Does anybody out there have an old dvd or video tape of this machine?

There's so many theories on this - some people like the 3 sets of 8 to 12 routine, personally, I'm more of the believe that you should go in hard - pick a weight and if you can do 12 to 15 of it and be almost unable to do it at the end, its about right, when that gets a bit easier, up the weight. I dont really believe in sets. But do some googling on it, there's many many theories and I really believe in informing yourself on current exercise science and beliefs.

I also believe in doing any sort of strength training hard and fast for most women and the types of bodies they want. So 15 upper body reps on say one muscle group, swich to 15 lower body exercises, back to upper etc without taking breaks like you do with traditional sets and reps. that way it will also get your heart rate up and be moderately cardiovascular as well - burns TONS of fat.

There's so many theories on this - some people like the 3 sets of 8 to 12 routine, personally, I'm more of the believe that you should go in hard - pick a weight and if you can do 12 to 15 of it and be almost unable to do it at the end, its about right, when that gets a bit easier, up the weight. I dont really believe in sets. But do some googling on it, there's many many theories and I really believe in informing yourself on current exercise science and beliefs.

I also believe in doing any sort of strength training hard and fast for most women and the types of bodies they want. So 15 upper body reps on say one muscle group, swich to 15 lower body exercises, back to upper etc without taking breaks like you do with traditional sets and reps. that way it will also get your heart rate up and be moderately cardiovascular as well - burns TONS of fat.

Jacqui...

It's good to see you over here. I always follow your exercise routine posts. You are the one that got me motivated to start running! And you were right, it works! I hate it, I hate it with a passion but it works and it's worth it. I'm still waiting for the moment when it's fun and the endorphins kick in and I get that euphoric feeling. So far I catch myself chanting, "I HATE THIS I HATE THIS!" ;o) I'm trying to change my thinking to "I love this I love this." It's not working but I'm trying.

I don't love running, but I don't hate it any more. I've decided I can live with that. :blink:

I started exercising 5 years ago in an attempt to lose weight. I exercised like a mad woman, weight training, tons of cardio and could not lose any weight. That was when I decided to get the band.

I found out that I could get off my anti depressants for the first time in over 20 years because when I left the gym, I felt so good. The dr. wanted me to go back on them when I was going through all the stress with my dad these past few months because they are also supposed to help with anxiety but I knew one of the side effects from those things is weight gain.

I went back to the gym today for the first time since surgery and I am really glad I did. I miss working out when I don't go. I feel grumpy. I was afraid when I was in Arizona that I was going to lose all the muscles I have built up in my thighs.

That was a great NSV when a guy at the gym a few months before my sleeve surgery asked me how I got my legs so toned.

I started taking a step class at my gym, but it's soo hard to learn the moves!

I have that trouble too! But I kept going back and eventually I learned them. Until we'd have a sub with new moves! :lol0:

Now I do other things... no time for step class.

I absolutely love my weight training class. the class goes by so fast. I really miss it when I can't go, and get bummed out when something interferes with this class.

Did you know that lifting weights causes you to burn calories for way more hours afterwards than cardio?

II was afraid when I was in Arizona that I was going to lose all the muscles I have built up in my thighs.

That was a great NSV when a guy at the gym a few months before my sleeve surgery asked me how I got my legs so toned.

You could have just walked up and down the stairs to the second floor with the laptop to put the plastic chair on top of the matching plastic table several times a day ... that would have helped keep your legs toned.

I find my calves are rock hard (about the only thing on my body that is) and I think that is because I wear mules all the time and you have to use your toes to keep them on and that tends to tighten your calve muscles ... and since it's warm enough ALMOST year round here in Vegas to wear them, I believe that is what has helped keep them toned.

Guest liveagain1973

Thanks for sharing. I had my surgery on 10/26 and I'm thinking that it's time for me to get moving. I don't have access to a pool, and because of my weight, walking is difficult. I'm looking forward to exercising, though. I really feel like I need it now.

My surgeon advised no heavy lifting (> 15 pounds) for 4-6 weeks post-op. I walked post-op and then started doing some light exercising at 3 weeks. I'm now back to working out two times a week. I hate exercise but consider it a necessary evil so I do it. LOL. The good news? As the weight comes off, the workout becomes a bit easier allowing you to step it up a bit more.

Now that summer is finally here, I'm looking forward to adding swimming to the routine. I have yet to experience that "endorphin" thing. LOL.