Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I "wolf" and I'm trying to stop!

Oh Wise Banded Ones!

:hungry:

I'm trying to get the hang of taking small bites and chewing to nothingness to stave off the golf balls and PBs I'm reading so much about when I finally do get banded - but man, I didn't realize how rarely I chew my food. It really disgusts me to think of how I eat! I'm finding that I begin concentrating on taking a small bite, chewing well and waiting several seconds before the next bite then before I know it, my mind has drifted off and I've cleaned several mouthfuls off my plate!

This is so hard, I mean eating is really monotonous! I can't believe I said that. I think this would be even more difficult in a social situation when the mind is engaged in lots of other things ....yowzee! Something I'm finding interesting is that many banded folks report they actually enjoy their food MORE...?! It's no wonder, they're actually aware of eating it and probably even tasting it!

I know this is going to take more practice and awareness on my part but this brings me to my latest question - Do any of you have any practices that worked especially well for you when trying to remember to take small bites and chew well. Do you do anything differently when dining out? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do nothing but give it my full concentration until it becomes a habit for me - that may take years or a few golf balls of negative reinforcement but I feel like I should really be trying to do this now.

Thanks to you all in advance, I learn something new everyday here and really appreciate your input!

Andy Liz

Keeping my fingers crossed for banding in July with Rumbaut

One of the more way out benefits of the band is that I now feel like I eat like a lady. I dont look like the fat slob stuffing her gob anymore, I eat slowly and politely and I drink slowly. My glass of wine isnt gone in 2 seconds so I tend to get less loud and giggly now.

Of course I always ate "nicely" in public anyway, but it was an effort to do so. Its nice not to be the first one finished all the time. And I try not to but I do judge what others eat. You get to the point where it disgusts you what others consume in a single sitting. My husband especially, I dont hesitate to tell him off. But I couldnt have enjoyed eating a small plateful of food slowly before either. I feel like I eat now as my appetite demands I do, but that the demands of my appetite are now a lot more ladylike and socially acceptable.

It really only took me a month or two to learn these new habits. I ate very very very carefully immediately after banding, once the swelling went down it only took a few golfballs to make me realise how slowly I should be eating and now it's just automatic habit. I do tend to wolf a bit at the start of the meal if I'm hungry though.

I use small utensils, even in public. I purchaed some very cool appetizer forks and spoons and carry them everywhere. I have had a few bad experiences where I have been distracted and not paying enough attention to eating. It all comes with awareness and time. Good luck on your journey.

OMG! Meee toooo!!!!

I have grossed myself out big time with my not chewing! I don't take large bites, but I don't chew either. How gross and rude is that?!?!!?

To help I use a knife and fork no matter what and cut my food into smaller bites. Each bite seperately.

My typical meal these days is a chicken breast. I cut a small bite (size of a dime) and eat it. Then once done, I cut another.... I take my time.

It seems to help. Carring small utensils like she suggested is a great idea!

-melanie

I am sorry if this is hyjacking this thread!!!!!!!!

I was just thinking, when I do eat something to fast, I get the golf ball.

No PB'ing - but it's not from trying, as I make myself burb !!!!

Its a tight feeling in the center of my chest, and I feel it in the back of my throat that somthing is stuck.

So far this only happens if I eat something and do not chew it up well, or it was too big?

I know this is supposed to happen when you are restricted right?

-Melanie

Actually cutting all your food up at once and then swapping your fork to your right hand is an American custom - we dont do that in Australia. We cut off a bite at a time with knife and fork, keeping the fork in the left hand. I never thought about it but it probably does slow you down.

We also eat the salad with the meal, not before it. You might order steak and a salad and they'll come together. My girfriend spent nearly an hour at the table with a salad in front of her before she finally asked where her steak was. The waitress looked at her like she had two heads :second:

I can remember having girls over from Orange County to play softball, billeted at all our houses. I was absolutely enthralled at the way this girl cut up all her food at once and ate so fast! Plus she thought mum's effort at a lovely roast lamb was quaint, refused to eat it and asked where the nearest McDonalds was, lol. And the next day she made a sandwich, just like you see in the movies - 3 layers of bread and ALL the ham meant to last for our school lunches all week.

Its amazing how little things can be so different from country to country isnt it?

PS: not meaning everyone from America is rude, of course! Just funny that she was like something out of the movies.

I like the idea of carrying my own "special" silverware. :hungry: And I like the idea of putting down my fork until I'm ready for the next bite.

Before I was banded, before I even visited my surgeon's office, I practiced eating the bandster way. Not deliberately limiting quantity, etc., just chew, chew, chew, and not drinking during the meal. In one month, I lost 10 - count 'em 10 - pounds. :cheer2: Wasn't even trying to lose weight. I just wanted to see if I could do it. Even left part of a really really good hamburger at Red Robin. And didn't finish the unlimited fries.

I'm still on liquids and really want to CHEW something!!

Thanks for the advice! It really is amazing how different cultures are. Maybe I should try to dine with chop sticks! That would keep me busy for awhile. I think this problem stemmed from my childhood - We ate our dinners together every night and of course I had to come inside from playing with my friends and couldn't go back outside until I was finished so I wolfed it down to get to go outside quicker. My dad ate really fast too, my mom used to get so angry with him because he'd be finished eating by the time she got to sit down.

I don't know if anyone else does this either, but when I'm in a hurry - and who isn't? - I tend to do everything fast and have a really difficult time slowing down for a meal so I think that frame of mind encourages me to "hurry up and eat".

I usually am the first one finished eating at home and when I'm out with friends so I really need to concentrate on eating more slowly and chewing better. I'll incorporate your ideas and see how I do. I'm getting ready to visit my brother and his kids (adult kids) for about a week and we'll probably do a lot of eating out so this will be a perfect time for me to practice.

I haven't even tried the not drinking with meals yet - I'm usually so thirsty because I don't drink enough between meals - yet another thing for me to concentrate on. One battle at a time - I'll work on that one later.

Pew, my dog is sleeping under my feet and he just broke wind, gag! Have a great day and I'll check back in with you all later!

Thanks again,

Andy Liz

Do any of you have any practices that worked especially well for you when trying to remember to take small bites and chew well. Do you do anything differently when dining out?
You'll get the hang of it. I'm only 2.5 mos post-op but for me it's no longer something I have to really think about or focus on. Friends who had RNY told me that it quickly becomes second nature, but I didn't believe them. Yesterday a co-worker asked me, "Do you have to really think about it to chew your food that much?" and just like *click* - it dawned on me that I don't any longer.

Here's a tip that I used to help me in the beginning - to get the right bite size, eat with a baby spoon, and don't heap it up. After the food is in your mouth, put the spoon down. It will require a lot more brainwork to pick the spoon up again, than just to fill it up again, which is a more automated movement. Also, pre-cut all of your food into toddler-sized pieces.

When I eat at a restaurant, the most significant thing I do is make better choices. As for portions, I ask for a to-go box when I order my meal. I tell them to go ahead and bring it because I already know I'm going to need it. As soon as my food comes I portion it out into my immediate serving, and box the rest. That keeps me from "picking" at my food once I'm no longer hungry. If I truly am still hungry after eating what's left on my plate, I will take a bite or two of something DH has, and that's always enough to do the trick.

Also when I eat at a restaurant, I cut my food up much smaller than I do at home. At home I'm much more likely to take a "normal" bite, but just chew on it extra long and swallow bits of it at a time, where in a restaurant I will cut my food into individual bandster bites and eat/chew one at a time.

I know this is going to take more practice and awareness on my part but this brings me to my latest question - Do any of you have any practices that worked especially well for you when trying to remember to take small bites and chew well.

Wolfing was/is my BIGGEST bad habit. Banding cured me of it pretty quickly. All it takes is a few episodes of negative reinforcement to change your tune.

It's not something I ever could have gotten a grip on myself, though. It took banding and forced change to make it happen.

You do get the hang of it, evenually. For me, I have learned to take a small bite, chew, swallow, then wait for the signal that my body gives to say I can have another bite. If I don't wait for the signal, then I have a great chance of the golfball feeling, or a small PB... Learning to hear or feel that signal is what takes time.

Good job of trying this before getting banded. Just being aware of what you are doing is a great step in the right direction...

If you can get the hang of it before banding, you'll probably avoid some golf balls and some PBing, but if you don't get the hang of it, those experiences will definately humble you into it!

:D

How do you know, after you take a bite, that you can move on to the nexyt one? Are you just giving it some time or do you actually feel the food moving along and then you know you're ready for the next bite?

I always let the first few bites clear before I eat another. I'll take a bite and wait a significant amount of time - particularly if I"m not at home, just to make sure it's all OK. I do sometimes get a touch of that first bite thing going on where my stomach just needs to ready itself for what's happening.

Once I'm sure that my band is behaving, then I just eat normally, chew decently, small bites.