Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant we all just get along ?!

Some people are very passionate about their journey to weight loss and health. That's a good thing, because it promotes the motivation for success.

However we all realize that different surgeons can and do have different approaches to their treatment protocols they use for their patients. Different does not mean wrong.

I also am beyond weary when it comes to the poster who is freaking out about the possibility of damaging their band because they ignored their surgeon's instructions.

It is up to the Bandster to take the personal responsibility to follow their OWN surgeon's instructions. And if you fail to, take responsibility for your mistake. Then you should be honest with your surgeon about your lack of compliance.

None of us who post on this forum that I have encountered to date has the proper medical credentials to render any type of medical opinion. Apply that reality to your post before you post questions which should be directed to your own surgeon.

We are all supposedly adults, and as such we can/should act our age. We can agree to disagree in an appropriate manner without resorting to the childish behaviors we would expect from young children.

Nicely said I so agree

My favorite line is, I keep drinking with meals...it's sooooooooo hard to stop...WHO ELSE DOES THIS??? PLEASE SAY LOTS OF YOU DO IT TOO SO I CAN JUSTIFY MY STUPID BEHAVIOR PLEASE.

<insert sensible comment from lap band veteran about how this will dilate their pouch>

THIS SITE IS TERRIBLE AND NO ONE ENCOURAGES ME!!! WAAAAAAHHHHHH :'( :'( :'( BOO HOO!!! WHY DOESN'T EVERYBODY AGREE WITH ME AND SAY WHAT I WANT TO HEAR?!?

(me lol'ing)

Wow! I laughed at lunch meat also. :lol:

I find I sometimes have more ability to zip my lip at noncompliance issues, and sometimes I don't (at which point I leave the site rather than open my often BIG mouth).

For me, there is a fine line between being blatantly noncompliant and willfully oblivious versus being uninformed or sincerely seeking advice (and not affirmation). I try to keep that in mind and kill them with kindness. Otherwise, it's back to, again, keeping my big mouth shut. <_<

sometimes I wonder if some of those people are making up all the stuff they can eat just to agitate everyone.. its amazing to me some of the amounts people eat.

I couldn't have possibly dreamt of eating a large pizza or even a piece of pizza or whatever a day or two post op.

FOLLOW THE RULES!!

Great post and I agree.

Everyone does have an opinion. Too bad everyone doesn't have common sense!!

This will not be a popular rant....

I'm sorry but when someone posts that they are just a week post op and they just tested their band by eating a large pizza and want to know if they are OK. Then I say let the b***h slapping begin. Not a good attitude I know but when you've read enough of these posts it can be frustrating. I usually sit back and shake my head at the ignorance and then I ask myself did the person not bother to educate themselves or was it the educators who failed them or are they just that out of control with addiction.

People who do not comply and are completely ignorant and are the ones leading to skewing stats as far as success vs. failure and doing a dis-service to themselves and the reputation of the band.

/End of rant :wub:

its a very good statement jim

and no matter what, you are popular with ME

wat it boils down 2 is we all ate crap food and allot of crap food and got really fat and if you continue 2 make crap decisions with the band you are going 2 stay that way rite. And you've wasted your money STICK 2 THE RULES get slim get healthy its not rocket science but i do blame some of the docs for not giving proper after care and not setting new banders right

My problem isn't so much what people may have eaten and when. It's the fact that they know it's wrong and they screwed up then they get on here looking for someone to sugar coat it and to make them feel better about their poor choices. Everyone screws up and everyone makes mistakes along the way but getting on here trying to get others approval is not going to help you in any way. If you screw up then own it and learn from it. Being told by a mass audience that it's OK when its really not is not going to help you. May make you feel better in your mind but it sure as **** isn't helping you.

::holding adriennes hand:: (See, I can do this) All you have to do is take their hands like this (one hand in the other) and say..it's ok..I know your insides are split in half and your feel hell's burning you inside and out. But we all make mistakes. And I'm sorry your esophagus has stopped moving, you managed to erode the band into your stomach and you are unable to eat. (Hands person a feeding tube) Maybe this will help? No, you don't want to resort to more surgery or other invasive devices??? You are afraid it'll hurt your body? I understand, it's scary to put foreign objects in your body and place your lives in the hands of a surgeon. Who would do that? Besides, why would we do that when they KNOW we will screw it up. Yeah! It's the doctors fault afterall, not ours. Who do we sue???? Someone owes me something. Oh wait, those damn consent forms, and sign in sheets at the educational seminars and nutritionists meetings may pose a problem. I KNOW! Just tell them somebody on LBT said what I was doing was no big deal and I followed their stupid hand holding advice. BINGO!

I don't mind people getting educated, just don't do it while driving the car in reverse people.

You are so right. However, before I got a fill, I ate a small piece of pizza, and then went into the bathroom, because it decided it did not want to be there!(pizza, that is), sorry to offend!

My favorite line is, I keep drinking with meals...it's sooooooooo hard to stop...WHO ELSE DOES THIS??? PLEASE SAY LOTS OF YOU DO IT TOO SO I CAN JUSTIFY MY STUPID BEHAVIOR PLEASE.

<insert sensible comment from lap band veteran about how this will dilate their pouch>

THIS SITE IS TERRIBLE AND NO ONE ENCOURAGES ME!!! WAAAAAAHHHHHH :'( :'( :'( BOO HOO!!! WHY DOESN'T EVERYBODY AGREE WITH ME AND SAY WHAT I WANT TO HEAR?!?

(me lol'ing)

On another note -is that what happens if you drink with meals? Your pouch dilates?

Question...the "Rules"...I'm curious as to what people feel the rules are, and why do they follow them?

Do you follow certain rules to loose weight, or do you follow certain rules because that is the only way you can get along with the band and what it does....

Everyone is different, because everyone's band is different....many people drink Water while eating, because they can...that's not a opinion, that's their experience...I cannot drink while eating, because it will come back up, cause pain, and undoubtedly stretch my pouch because I quickly overfilled it...that's my experience, not my opionion...

Carbonated drinks, crushing pills, lunch meat?....some do because they can, some don't because they cannot....and some have no clue because they're just learning to fly....

Eat an entire pizza right after surgery?? Some do it because they can....but start learneing the rules because some day, like me, you will not be able to get through one single slice...I have not eaten pizza in over 2 years...NOT because I was told not to and it was against any rule that I know of, again other than weight watchers.....it's not my opinion you should not eat pizza, (unless we're talking jenny Craig or something)..it's my experience that living with the band I cannot eat Pizza....rules or no rules....

No 2 people are alike because no 2 bands can be adjusted and identical with one's body....but it is my experience, not my opinon, if you want to progress with the band, then you need to learn the rules because that is the only way you can live with the band.

I read statements here all the time and I wonder where in the world did they learn that? They say doing this will casue that...I want to ask them HOW does that happen exactly????...and have you ever had that happen to you? That you can say it's true?

But, I keep my mouth shut, and ignore the pseudo experts with little or no first hand experience...I even blocked a few....

Question...the "Rules"...I'm curious as to what people feel the rules are, and why do they follow them?

Do you follow certain rules to loose weight, or do you follow certain rules because that is the only way you can get along with the band and what it does....

Everyone is different, because everyone's band is different....many people drink Water while eating, because they can...that's not a opinion, that's their experience...I cannot drink while eating, because it will come back up, cause pain, and undoubtedly stretch my pouch because I quickly overfilled it...that's my experience, not my opionion...

Carbonated drinks, crushing pills, lunch meat?....some do because they can, some don't because they cannot....and some have no clue because they're just learning to fly....

Eat an entire pizza right after surgery?? Some do it because they can....but start learneing the rules because some day, like me, you will not be able to get through one single slice...I have not eaten pizza in over 2 years...NOT because I was told not to and it was against any rule that I know of, again other than weight watchers.....it's not my opinion you should not eat pizza, (unless we're talking jenny Craig or something)..it's my experience that living with the band I cannot eat Pizza....rules or no rules....

No 2 people are alike because no 2 bands can be adjusted and identical with one's body....but it is my experience, not my opinon, if you want to progress with the band, then you need to learn the rules because that is the only way you can live with the band.

I read statements here all the time and I wonder where in the world did they learn that? They say doing this will casue that...I want to ask them HOW does that happen exactly????...and have you ever had that happen to you? That you can say it's true?

But, I keep my mouth shut, and ignore the pseudo experts with little or no first hand experience...I even blocked a few....

Thanks b-52! You are a great example of someone who has found his way and doesn't feel that he is a n expert except for his own band! Thanks for your 2cents, friend! Karen

On another note -is that what happens if you drink with meals? Your pouch dilates?

Yup. One of the reasons they give for not drinking with your meals is so you don't wash the food through your band. The more important reason is that simply put, it HIGHLY raises the risk of dilating your pouch. I've seen it happen countless times with fellow bandsters. They complain that it's SOOOO hard to stop and then they cry when they dilate their pouch but the don't correct the behavior and have to have Fluid out and gain their weight back in a never ending cycle.