Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average Fills to Green Zone????

just found out my plan (self-pay) will only cover 3 fills. After that I will have to pay $200 for each fill. Wondering what the average number of fills needed to get to the green zone is for each of you. I know there is no one right answer for this so any other info explanation would help...

Unfortunately, there really isn't an average. It all depends on your anatomy, your band size, and the amount given at each fill. Some people are lucky and never need a fill whereas others need a half dozen (or more) before they're in the Green Zone.

Plus, the Green Zone (usually) isn't permanent while you're losing. A good example, I just got my first fill in 9 months yesterday. Before that, it was 5 months between fills. As you lose weight often your stomach shrinks so you find yourself needing a band tweak. So, this is actually my third time in the Green Zone.

Best wishes.

Hi Debbie,

I have read a comment somewhere from someone on here....and hopefully they read this and can attest to or refute...but it might not hurt to ask your doctor this question.

If your fills can be given under the fluoroscope, so that the Dr. and you can see how quickly or slowly Fluid is passing through the stoma, perhaps giving you the opportunity to have more Fluid put in at each fill so that by the time you reach your third fill you might be close to if not at the green zone or rate of digestion through the stoma that might be ideal for you to maximize weight loss....?

Unfortunately, there really isn't an average. It all depends on your anatomy, your band size, and the amount given at each fill. Some people are lucky and never need a fill whereas others need a half dozen (or more) before they're in the Green Zone.

Plus, the Green Zone (usually) isn't permanent while you're losing. A good example, I just got my first fill in 9 months yesterday. Before that, it was 5 months between fills. As you lose weight often your stomach shrinks so you find yourself needing a band tweak. So, this is actually my third time in the Green Zone.

Best wishes.

so how many fills have you had since the beginning?

Took me 18 fills.

holy crap - that would cost me another $3000! I sure hope it doesn't take that many for me...

Hi Debbie,

I have read a comment somewhere from someone on here....and hopefully they read this and can attest to or refute...but it might not hurt to ask your doctor this question.

If your fills can be given under the fluoroscope, so that the Dr. and you can see how quickly or slowly Fluid is passing through the stoma, perhaps giving you the opportunity to have more Fluid put in at each fill so that by the time you reach your third fill you might be close to if not at the green zone or rate of digestion through the stoma that might be ideal for you to maximize weight loss....?

I will definitely bring this up next week when i meet with my doctor before surgery...Thank you

There's so many factors..

1) how aggressive or conservative is the doc. There are some docs that fill to restriction, let it subside over a few weeks and add a little more etc until green is reached. And than there are some who move like snails..0.5cc every time. You'll be in the grave before you reach green <chuckles> It would be a good idea to ask your doc their approach

2) what gets me to green wont get you to green. Some people can feel green (at least for awhile) around 4 cc, others are beyond 9cc and still waiting to feel it. So there's no real target we can give you. It depends on your anatomy, the size band and how sensitive you are to the fills

3) nothings permanent..tweaking is common, especially when you have your band for a long time so plan long term not just this go around

4) 3 fills is pretty puny. usually insurance covers the first year of fills because they recognize the above issues. Tsk tsk on them. Sorry hon, time to load up the piggy bank :)

There's so many factors..

1) how aggressive or conservative is the doc. There are some docs that fill to restriction, let it subside over a few weeks and add a little more etc until green is reached. And than there are some who move like snails..0.5cc every time. You'll be in the grave before you reach green <chuckles> It would be a good idea to ask your doc their approach

2) what gets me to green wont get you to green. Some people can feel green (at least for awhile) around 4 cc, others are beyond 9cc and still waiting to feel it. So there's no real target we can give you. It depends on your anatomy, the size band and how sensitive you are to the fills

3) nothings permanent..tweaking is common, especially when you have your band for a long time so plan long term not just this go around

4) 3 fills is pretty puny. usually insurance covers the first year of fills because they recognize the above issues. Tsk tsk on them. Sorry hon, time to load up the piggy bank :)

thank you for the plain talk - i can appreciate it! You were the same weight i am now when you started, how many fills did you have, if i may ask?

I will definitely bring this up next week when i meet with my doctor before surgery...Thank you

Debbie,

I would also ask them if they will cover un-fills or partial un-fills in case they are overly aggressive getting you to green and you need a bit out to be comfortable.

You don't want to get hit with a bill after the fact.

Debbie,

Hello...let's see...

I started w/ zero cc's. I say that because some are prefilled during surgery.

I started my first fill at 6 weeks postop with 3cc. I got maybe 3-4 additional fills to get to 5ccs within the first 5.5 months and I was green.

Fast forward 3 years... I got a tweak 0.5cc fill in May, than 3 weeks ago (another 0.5cc) and today I got a 0.3cc and I think I'm back at green. So I am at 6.3cc right now. The reason for tweaks is because with major changes, like large weight loss, pregnancy and just time (because some of the Fluid can indeed evaporate) you'll need to refill. 1.3cc isn't bad in 4 yrs ey? :)

Hope this helps :)

holy crap - that would cost me another $3000! I sure hope it doesn't take that many for me...

My fills were free for the first 2 years and I needed a lot to get restriction. I currently have over 14cc in my 14cc band.

2 cc at surgery, 2cc at first fil, 1 cc, then .5cc at last two fills and I am seeing green. Maybe have to have one more before I reach that every elusive goal.

Debbie,

Hello...let's see...

I started w/ zero cc's. I say that because some are prefilled during surgery.

I started my first fill at 6 weeks postop with 3cc. I got maybe 3-4 additional fills to get to 5ccs within the first 5.5 months and I was green.

Fast forward 3 years... I got a tweak 0.5cc fill in May, than 3 weeks ago (another 0.5cc) and today I got a 0.3cc and I think I'm back at green. So I am at 6.3cc right now. The reason for tweaks is because with major changes, like large weight loss, pregnancy and just time (because some of the Fluid can indeed evaporate) you'll need to refill. 1.3cc isn't bad in 4 yrs ey? :)

Hope this helps :)

That seems to be my doctor's plan. Nothing at 1st...1st appointment for fill in 6 weeks after surgery. I hope I am as lucky as you. I can handle that :) I think I could even handle going in once a year if needed to stay in green...