Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I've completed all my pre-op testing and will be getting a call this coming week for the surgery date. Problem is I might be pregnant and it's too soon to test. I don't want to go through all this just to have it canceled, I also don't want to have severe complications because my weight. I know nothing is certain yet, but I just want to make sure I have all the information I need time make an informed decision if I am preggers. Crazy as it sounds, can I still have surgery if I'm still very early on? Is there a medical weightloss program for pregnant women? Please feel free to ask me any questions if you need to.

You need to tell your doctor ASAP if you suspect you're pregnant. Going through surgery, and all the drugs they use during it, could cause you to miscarriage. Plus, the severe calorie and nutrient restrictions of the post op diet could cause major issues for the baby. There's also a risk of birth defects, too

Hi All,

I've completed all my pre-op testing and will be getting a call this coming week for the surgery date. Problem is I might be pregnant and it's too soon to test. I don't want to go through all this just to have it canceled, I also don't want to have severe complications because my weight. I know nothing is certain yet, but I just want to make sure I have all the information I need time make an informed decision if I am preggers. Crazy as it sounds, can I still have surgery if I'm still very early on? Is there a medical weightloss program for pregnant women? Please feel free to ask me any questions if you need to.

The only type of surgery they would undertake on an expecting mom would be in the event of an emergency and the lap band does not qualify. I worked in nursing for many years. As yes as Mis73 stated it is important to let your doctor know right away. Either way, you can have it after you have the baby. Best wishes to you!

As a nurse and from my education

1) no surgical procedures are performed on pregnant woman unless it is an emergency

2) there are no weightloss regimens for pregnant woman

Your focus would be to limit excessive gain and to ensure you and baby are healthy. Weight loss and surgery needs to be postponed until after the baby has delivered.

If it were me I would wait a week test again then go from there. What ever you decide it will have to be what you think is best for you.