Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible issue - Stressed out

Before I say anything..let me say I have already called my doctor and have an appointment scheduled..but I just want to talk about it on here.

I was banded Feb. 14, 2013. I felt like I have been doing good..I was 405 the day of surgery and I was 362 yesterday. The problem with that is..last week i was 358. I gained 4 lbs in a week and didnt change anything. I havent felt a lot of restriction since my last fill. I had a minor adjustment because I felt like I was close and now I Feel like I am further away from the green zone. I have only gotten stuck and had to vomit 1 time..it was my own fault..I ate too fast and the food had to come back up. That was 3 weeks ago. I havent had any other issues..no more vomitting and I am having no issues eating. My fear is that something is wrong..slipped band..leaking port..anything..something in my head is telling me something is wrong. Anyone had any issues like a slippage or leaking band? I dont know what kind of answers I am looking for..I just am scared.

I am no doctor, this is strictly my opinion.

4lbs is really nothing. Honestly, I know it seems like it, but if you haven't changed your eating habits and still see a small scale jump then it's temporary. So many things can effect your weight, including salt intake, Water retention, and hormones.

A good example: Right now I'm actually up 3 pounds because of my "time of the month". It'll probably go up another pound or two over the next 48 hours, too. But, within a couple days of it ending, the extra weight will be totally gone again. Likewise, I've had high sodium days where I see my weight jump a little too. I stay away from the salt and drink a lot of Water after and the weight goes away again.

Small weight fluctuations are totally normal. I don't think anything is wrong with your band.

Hopefully seeing the doctor will ease your mind.

Best wishes.

I retain Water and never use salt. Salt is in everything. I over weigh myself, meaning 4-8 times a day. I will weigh myself at bed time and by the time I wake up, after peeing 4 times during the night, I can be down as much as 6 pounds. Just last night I was 5 pounds more than this morning. CG, does not have a metal monster because she weighs herself as much as me. Only her doctor has the scale. Her husband, a saint, threw her monster away. My son tried to throw mine out and I would have killed him.

Like Missy says, every day the scale does change. Don't be hard on yourself.

What Missy said.....

So many different things factor into the day to day weight. Exercise and sleep are good ones as well. I have had pretty poor nights sleep and the next morning the scale showed it.

just having had surgery last Friday, I cannot imagine what you are going thru thinking you may have to go thru something all over again. I am only a newbie but what I am learning is that this is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. I thought this was going to be super easy but what it is telling me is that I have to change the way I look at food and what I eat. The band just makes me feel fuller faster. I still have to control what goes in.

I would encourage you not to panic. Go to the doc. See what they say and get help. This may just be a big bump in your journey. Its okay to be scared. While I was waiting for surgery which was delayed 1 1/2 hour, i almost walked out twice. We have all been scared and if someone says they haven t been, they may not be telling the truth. Sending good thoughts your way!

Don't worry about 4 pounds. As a couple others have mentioned, many factors influence our weight. When I was in the hospital for 2 days to have my band replaced, I gained 10 pounds on their clear liquid diet! Was I surprised! It's gone now, and so is a little more. Anyway, my ban had "repositioned" and needed to be replaced. Before he removed the liquid from my band, I was vomiting 2 or 3 times a day. After the un-fill, I vomited only once or twice a week. Three weeks into the new band, I have not vomited once. You have accomplished so very much. Be proud of yourself and don't stress out. There will be ups and downs, but if you follow your food plan, the downs will prevail!

Thanks yall. Your brain does silly things to you when things dont seem to go the direction that you want them to. I just dont have anyone around here that understands being over 400 lbs and never EVER EVER EVER wanting to get back there again. I am super proud of what I have accomplished so far..almost 50 lbs since surgery is more weight than i lost in 3 years doing weight watchers. I havent been this weight in 10 years. I have had huge non scale victories. I keep telling myself to look at the bigger picture and not focus on those 4 lbs because thats not a lot compared to the amount I have lost. My original appointment was scheduled for the 28th and I leave for California on the 29th so I had convinced myself I wasnt going to get a fill because i didnt want to get too much and then be sick the entire time I am on vacation so that stressed me out..and then the weight jump scared me. I am in no pain and I am sure everything is OK...but maybe I just need that reassurance from the dr.

Missy - I never thought about hormones affected it. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and since surgery I have struggled taking my Metformin due to the size. I can cut them..but i have to cut them in like 4 pieces each and I take 2..so it takes me FOREVER to take them. I go to that doctor in a few weeks and hope to get a different plan going for that so maybe that will help also.

Thank yall for the info and the support..Support is so huge in this and I am glad there is this forum to come to.

I hate those 4 pound weight jumps too, but they come and they go, and as long as your body weight's trending downward, you're doing fine. As for feeling less restriction, keep in mind is that as we lose weight, the visceral (internal) fat that clings to the stomach shrinks, so the band fits more loosely, and we need more fill to readjust the fit.

I am still struggling to get those numbers on the scale to move in the direction I want them to. Dr. is doing fills slowly for me and I like that. It's giving me a chance to get to know where I am and what I am doing at each phase, but I have those days where the darn scale will jump up 3-5 pounds on me and I get frustrated because I am not doing anything different. Not eating any more or working out any less, but I'm a woman and my body likes to have its emotional response to life's stimuli too I guess.

Occasionally (pretty much every day it seems these days UGH!) I am stressed out about one or to be honest about at least 30 different things at a time, and I notice that I start retaining Water as I'm sure those lovely cortisol levels shoot through the roof in response to my adrenaline spikes.

I would like to find some way to control those things!!! Stress is a killer, and makes me gain weight faster than eating a whole box of ice cream could!

Sigh….and now taking deep breaths closing my eyes and ruminating on having a stress free 5 minute break before all hell breaks loose again.

TGIF!!!

just having had surgery last Friday' date=' I cannot imagine what you are going thru thinking you may have to go thru something all over again. I am only a newbie but what I am learning is that this is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. I thought this was going to be super easy but what it is telling me is that I have to change the way I look at food and what I eat. The band just makes me feel fuller faster. I still have to control what goes in.

I would encourage you not to panic. Go to the doc. See what they say and get help. This may just be a big bump in your journey. Its okay to be scared. While I was waiting for surgery which was delayed 1 1/2 hour, i almost walked out twice. We have all been scared and if someone says they haven t been, they may not be telling the truth. Sending good thoughts your way![/quote']

Well said Red Bird!

Well..My brain was playing jokes on me. I am fine...Band is perfect..no slip and no leak. I lost 12.5 lbs since my last appt July 17th and yesterday I weighed 352.3. I told the dr she would think I was crazy because I came in thinking the band wasnt working and I lost over 12 lbs in 5 weeks and she gave me a hug and told me it was fine to have those moments but everything is fine. She gave me a little bit more Fluid and told me to not stress out because I am doing great. So thank you for the advice and the uplifting..but I feel better now. I needed good news yesterday because my dog passed away on Tuesday so the good news was very much needed.

[quote name=APPROVED :) Candace83' timestamp='1377181129' post='2041683]

Well..My brain was playing jokes on me. I am fine...Band is perfect..no slip and no leak. I lost 12.5 lbs since my last appt July 17th and yesterday I weighed 352.3. I told the dr she would think I was crazy because I came in thinking the band wasnt working and I lost over 12 lbs in 5 weeks and she gave me a hug and told me it was fine to have those moments but everything is fine. She gave me a little bit more Fluid and told me to not stress out because I am doing great. So thank you for the advice and the uplifting..but I feel better now. I needed good news yesterday because my dog passed away on Tuesday so the good news was very much needed.

Your surgeon sounds like a sweetheart!