Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time for a visit?

I have had my band for a little over 5 years and I am very happy to say I have had success with very little problem. Went from 314-171. I have gained about 17 pounds since December and this is the first weight gain I've experienced since banded. I'm having a few issues. Weight gain because I can eat most anything and more of it, acid reflux, (which my reg doc recently put me on meds) and bloating and gas. I'm just wondering why I can eat greater amounts and bread and other no no foods I couldn't eat before? Can my band have lost Fluid or restriction on its own or could there be another prob? Thanks so much for any advice or words of wisdom!

A couple things, first I'd see your bariatric surgeon about the reflux, not your reg doc. Reflux can be a sign of complications with the band and it's important to have it checked out.

As far as Fluid in the band, it can actually lose a little over time. I'm not sure if evaporate is the correct word to use because evaporation isn't possible in the body- but it's the best word to describe how small amounts of Fluid can seemingly disappear over time.

There's a lot of possible reasons why you can eat foods you couldn't before. You could have a little less fluid in your band. You could have learned to chew better and not even realize it. You also could have stretched your pouch above the band.

When is the last time you saw your bariatric surgeon? We're supposed to go yearly for follow up even after we meet our goal weight.

Best wishes and congratulations on your success.

Your band can lose Fluid but that's not necessarily your problem. When you lose weight your stomach can become leaner and the band won't put as much pressure as it used to. I went through this several times with my weight loss and had to get fills to compensate. When you say you have acid reflux is it acid reflux like at night or heartburn throughout the day? I get acid reflux at night if I eat less than 2 hours before bed. However, I always have heartburn and have since almost day one with the band and have to take a daily Prilosec for that. If you have them check the fluid in your band be wary because just having the fluid pulled out, checked, then put back in can have the same effect that an actual fill can and cause you to swell. I made the mistake once when I just needed a little bit of a fill of having them check my fluid AND add some at the same time and I paid dearly for it in extra swelling.

Thanks so much for the quick responses....I get acid reflux at night but my stomach seemed to be burning off and on all day. Especially when I ate. The meds my doc put me on last week have made such a difference! It's def been a while since I've been to my band doc. So I prob need to schedule a visit!

I went to my band doc today and they removed all my Fluid from my band. They think I have stretched out my pouch. I go Wednesday morning for an upper gi so they can make sure that's what it is. If so I have to wait two weeks before I can start putting fluid back in. So I have to be very careful not to go crazy with my eating!