Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im starting to regret......

I have this awful feeling as though I should not have gotten the LapBand, like I couldve done it on my own, or it was too big of a step at my age (17). Yes, I know the band is just a tool, and I totally understand the concept, and I promise I have tried everything under the sun before this I mean you name it Ive def. tried it. So besides weight loss and the emotions and confidence that come with any weight loss what does the LapBand help with. Please don't be rude, or I will get pissed and be rude back ;)

Chloe

I will try not to be rude but honest. I'm proud of you for making this life changing decision. I'm sure it was very hard for you at your age. It was hard for me at 43. I have an overweight 18 yr old son and the lap band way of eating would be extremely hard for him. So, your life has changed dramatically at a very early age. That's good because you won't live a life of being overweight and feeling bad about yourself. That CAN be bad because your way of eating will be different forever. I hope you are willing to make all those changes to avoid any damage to your band or health. Good luck and embrace all the wonderful new changes that will happen with your weight loss.

Hi Chloe, First of all I hope no one is ever rude to you here :) What I did was before my surgery (you can still do this post surgery) was list the pros and cons regarding the surgery and weight loss. For me it came down to being healthier and living longer...I knew if I didn't do something, I was on my way to a heart attack, stroke, or some other medical trauma. Also, I listed all the activities I wanted to do, but could not because of my weight. (Whenever I get discouraged, I get this list out). At one, point, I also thought "I can do this on my own", but then had to ask myself "Why haven't I?"

I have two grandchildren and I want to be around to see them grow up and graduate and get married and start their own families.

The bottom line is ....each of us have our own personal reasons for having the surgery and each of us will have a different journey along the way...what works and motivates me, may not do the same for you...that doesn't mean either if us is "right" or "wrong", just different... and that's a beautiful; thing!

Hi Chloe,

Did you just very recently get the Lap Band? If so, I think everyone goes through a type of "buyer's remorse," honestly. Are there any counselors available to you? Or a support group or some sort? That might help--talking with others who have made the same decision.

It's important to like yourself for who you are, no matter what size you are or what number is on the scale. Remember that and don't put undue stress on yourself to lose a certain amount of weight.

Best of luck to you.

I tried on my own for 25 years , I wish they had other options for me way back

You probably could have done it by yourself but keeping it off is the hard part. Especially as you get older. I lost over 100 lbs in my early 20's when I was going to college. Fast forward 13 years and I have gained it back plus some. I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks and I've gone through the same thoughts. Is it right for me? Will it work? Could I just do it on my own? When I think about my history with my weight problems I realize that YES this is the right choice and YES this will work for me! Good luck to you!

Hi Chloe,

I think everyone goes through a type of "buyer's remorse," honestly.

Um, actually not everyone. After you have dieted, and dieted, and dieted and tried pills and you are finally blessed to have a surgery to help you acquire the healthiness you need, "remorse" as you put it is never a thought. Ms. Chloe, I applaud you for having this surgery. I didn't know that it could be done on children under the age of 18. Talk about learning something new everyday. Just follow your doctor's advice and read the different posts on this board and you will be fine. Of course if you still have questions, you can always ask just as you did in this post. As someone else posted, do you have a support system? That is always helpful to get you through those hard times.

Chloe, I felt the same way as you did the week after I got the lap-band. I am 23, not quite 17, but I had this lingering feeling that I should have waited, I could have done this on my own.

Soon I realized at this point in time regret is a useless emotion. Accept your decision and try to move on, these negative emotions of coulda shoulda woulda cant really get your anywhere. All you can do is embrace your surgery. If you still feel this way later on then hey the lapband IS removable.

This is a hard question to answer without particulars. For instance, how did you become overweight is a good start. For binge or high volume eaters, lapband can help restrict large volume eating. For fatty/carb eaters they may find those foods to heavy to eat without getting stuck and the band helps minimize the desire for said foods. The band also makes you reprioritize and think of food in a way you probably never had to. Like, who knew you need minimum 60g Protein every day. And if you have only a limited volume of food to eat your priority better be to get that protein in first. This by default leads to healthier food choices and minimizes the high cal/fat etc. Also, if you are compliant and keep your band in the green and don't try to cheat the band (ie drink shakes etc) than I found the band as an awesome tool for maintenance. The mind is a tricky thing..you can become complacent. Reach a milestone or even your end goal and than you slack off and weight comes back. The lapband can assist you in all phases of your weight loss.

Although you are young, us elders think it's for the best. We can visualize what life would have been life, the improvements etc had we done this in our early 20s for instance.

Way to go, Bro Rob! Your words of encouragement helps Chloe and many others stay on the right track. Chloe, so far, I think that this is going to be one of our greatest challenges but one that will bring us great joy and results. We are all here for you!

I was 23 when banded and I definitely had my doubts for the first couple months post banding. I could still eat fairly normally and was worried I had spent a lot of money on something that may not be for me.

One day a week or so after a fill, I felt the tip of the green zone and knew I had made the right decision. Everyday gets easier the longer you're on this journey. I cant say I didn't have to hard core diet the first couple months before my band was at the right fill level, but everything has been worth the frustrations I've experienced.

I wish that I could have done this at a younger age.

Um, actually not everyone. After you have dieted, and dieted, and dieted and tried pills and you are finally blessed to have a surgery to help you acquire the healthiness you need, "remorse" as you put it is never a thought. Ms. Chloe, I applaud you for having this surgery. I didn't know that it could be done on children under the age of 18. Talk about learning something new everyday. Just follow your doctor's advice and read the different posts on this board and you will be fine. Of course if you still have questions, you can always ask just as you did in this post. As someone else posted, do you have a support system? That is always helpful to get you through those hard times.

That's great that you never had any buyer's remorse. Maybe I did because I was suffering from severe complications from the get-go. It's not uncommon for most people to feel a sense of regret after having had surgery. It's a major life change, especially at age 17. I even had a type of "buyer's remorse" after having other surgeries. It's hard to lose organs, even if it's a gallbladder. ^_^

That's great that you never had any buyer's remorse. Maybe I did because I was suffering from severe complications from the get-go. It's not uncommon for most people to feel a sense of regret after having had surgery. It's a major life change, especially at age 17. I even had a type of "buyer's remorse" after having other surgeries. It's hard to lose organs, even if it's a gallbladder. ^_^

I wouldn't say "most" people without statistically speaking. In this case, I would say some people but thanks for that information. Sorry that you felt that way and yes it is hard to lose organs and what not. I have had several other surgeries prior to this one as well but never had a "remorseful" feeling. Anyway, good luck on your journey.

After my first fill, 4 weeks after surgery, I gained weight....I could still eat anything and I was hungry all the time....

I was told I needed to count calories, measure my portions, keep a food journal, etc, etc.

I WAS PISSED!!!!! Very upset to say the least.. I have tried every diet under the sun, and failed, and NOW they're telling me to do the same thing as I did before?

Why did I go through all that anxiety, a year of preparation, $$ out of my pocket, and major surgery placing a foreign object in my digestive tract...just so I can repeat something I knew like the back of my hand????

What a WASTE OF TIME!!!!

Fortunately, I have a good Surgeon...he laughed at me....sat me down and explained the entire process, explained and showed me graphs of the Yellow-Green-Red zone, explained each one, explained how the band is adjustable and that his goal is to get me into the Green, and explained how we were going to achieve it...talked to me about the possible adverse effects such as stuck episodes and regurgitation, he took the time to explain EVERYTHING to me...even explained to me I was experiencing "Bandster Hell"....and why...

And he was right...it took patience, a few fills, and some adjusting on my personal habits such as eating differently and giving up certain foods....

I'm glad he did that...after 4-5 months the band began to do it's job....a few more months for ME to adjust to the band, and I can say it has been heaven ever since....EASIEST thing I could have ever done to loose weight.

That was over 2 years ago...I don't need to worry about counting calories, or portion sizes...it is a "Lifestyle" that has become 2nd nature without any thought or effort on my part....I have lost all y excess weight and body fat...I have not lost, or gained any weight in over a year...there is nothing left to loose....

I am back to enjoying things I like to eat/drink, it has CHANGED MY LIFE! It just took a little patience and trust in my Surgeon's treatment plan.

I will say, I am glad I did not listen to other people, and many of their ill advise and also some failures, but stuck to my Surgeon's promises...and stayed the course with him....

If I had found this forum BEFORE surgery, and paid attention to the negativity that can come from here, I'm not sure where I would be today....