Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to my information meeting for lapband

Hello My name is Tamika and I've been here lurking for about 2 months now! You all are such an inspiration to me! I have decided to get the lapband and have been doing my own research for about 1 year now. Its a very big step and I'm ready to make a change! I wanna know from you good people what was your experience like at the informational meeting?? How long did it take from that first meeting to actual surgery?? I'm going through Kaiser in Martinez Ca. Thanks so much! <3

Congratulations for taking the next step. It took me a long time from the first meeting until the surgery because the hospital was taken over and because of my age. Weird but in 2 weeks will be 1 year for me and I am thrilled with the band. My only problems have been stuck foods because I ate too fast or too much. My fault. I have never thrown up anything. I follow the doctor's and dietitian's rules about eating and drinking and try to eat correctly which is hard sometimes.

I learned at a lot at the meeting and signed up right then and there to get the process started. my lung doctor made my appointment and I love him for that. All my meds-done with!! I do take vitamins and minerals that are required, they are all chewables.< /span>

Just remember the band is a tool not a cure all. Treat it nice and it should be nice to you.

I went to the seminar a year ago. I was approved and my surgery set for early November. Then Hurricane Sandy came through New York and damaged the hospital so badly that it was closed for more than two months. I was finally banded on January 14th of this year.

Just be aware that the insurance companies all have differing criteria for approval so it can take as little as a couple of months, or more than six months depending on what tests and documentation you need.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged if it takes a while. In hindsight, it's a good thing so you can get used to the idea of this life changing procedure you'll be going through.

So how long did the whole process take??

I went to my first meeting Oct. 2011 and was scheduled for a February, 2012 surgery but because the hospital was taken over by a big Boston one and my age being over 59 it kept getting changed and it took with help to July, 2012. It does not take that long for most people. Don't let my long time discourage you. My local hospital can only do people under 59 and I am older. I do go there for all my monthly support groups and office visits. My surgeon is now there besides the big Boston hospital.