Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on May 30 2013 and I been having a lot of problems with food getting stuck in my chest and it hurts. I have not had my first fill yet I am supposed to get it on the 10 th of July. Question 1: Is this normal ? Question 2: have I slipped ?

food should not be getting stuck. You are either eating too quickly or not chewing enough or a combination of the two. Do you know whether or not they put in a fill at the time of surgery? Perhaps you are to tight. I would call the Doc and get some advice on that.

I think I have been eating to fast and maybe I'm not chewing as good as I should be. I'm not sure if my Dr. Put any fluids in during surgery or not. But thanks for the feedback and ill try slowing down and chewing more

A few tips to help chew slower that I practiced at home when I first went back to solids included eating with teaspoons/oyster fork, only serving a small portion, put the utensils down between mouthfuls, cutting up everything in small bites and chewing to a consistency that I could move around my mouth and between my teeth.

It is hard to retrain yourself to eat small bites and slow down, especially when rushed or distracted. So we have to create new rituals if you will to ensure that we do this by being mindful of these habits when we eat. Tools such as smaller plates, smaller utensils, putting forks down between bites are all good suggestions. But also try to other things like not eating when standing (it compels you to move around and do things like cleaning, putting things away, making calls etc), set the mood with some soft music to calm your nerves and to distract the mind (if you are like me who is constantly thinking of what needs to be done or have 3 kids making a ruckus thus making food chewing a nonpriority). Also sometimes if this just becomes a super hard habit to bust, try different cooking techniques. For example I find if I ground my meat it already helps with the first step of breaking down my meat. Cooking with Water or even a light based Tomato sauce helps with drier meats that have a tendency to be hard to pass. Finely chop veggies instead of eating them whole sized etc. Just anything that helps in case you continue to be forgetful :)

Sounds like you just need more practice with tiny bites and chewing. Take it very slow and don't ever try to wash down a stuck with liquids! You can do it, but I still forget sometimes after 20 months. We spent years with our old habits and forming new ones is always a challenge. Good luck. Definitely call your surgeon if you continue to have problems with smaller bites.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches