Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 hours to lift off...to be a bandster

Hi, all - just wanted to give a quick post before I head to bed - my husband and I are headed to Monterrey, MX tomorrow morning to see Dr. Rumbaut. I'm being banded on Tuesday (5/9) and I'm feeling nervous and kind of numb at the same time. Most of my nerves are not around the surgery itself, as I'm sure most can relate, they're around this massive lifestyle change I am now facing. Eek.

Interestingly, I got hit with some mis-fortune this past week, I came down with strep throat on Wednesday and have been pretty miserable with pain and fevers since. I was freaking out on Wednesday when I went to the Dr. and he diagnosed me with strep, since I was less than a week away from flying to Mexico and having surgery. My Dr. said I should be okay, though, I called Dr. Rumbaut's office and got the green light as well - by the way, I was amazed that the Dr. called me that night from Mx to check on me and ease my worries - and with antibiodics and a LOT of hot tea, I began feeling better today.

Beside the torture of strep - which I had never had before - I am pretty bummed I was not able to have any "last meals" these last few nights... I know, probably a blessing in disguise, but still - I would have like to have something other than tea and pudding. Also, I missed out on meeting a local bandster for happy hour (who I met on this board (sorry, Anita!)) prior to my surgery, but I promise to make that one up.

Soooo... everyone please wish me luck - as of Tuesday I will have joined the "family".

Congratulations, and I'm glad your feeling better. Hope everything goes well in Mexico. Let us all know how you are doing.

I hope everything goes well for you. Check in when your feeling up to it and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes Dawn! I had surgery with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 so I will be banded exactly 9 weeks on your surgery date. You'll be up and running in no time. Don't worry about missing out on those "last meals" - you can eat almost anything you like after recovering from band surgery - just lots less of it. The thing is, you're satisfied so you don't feel like you're missing out just because you can't gorge yourself. It'll be fine. You'll see. Log on when you get home and tell us all about your trip.

P.S. The Sanborn restaurant, which is across the parking lot from the Hampton Inn where you're staying, has excellent chicken Consomme - not too spicy, not too bland - perfect for pre-op AND post-op diet.

Thanks, all - I promise to keep everyone updated.

Donna - you don't know this, but it was your post about a month ago (as a reply to me inquiring about undergoing lap band in Mexico and the surgery in general) which helped me choose Dr. Rumbaut - I am always happy to see your replies to my posts. Congratulations on your 25 lb. loss so far! Also, thanks for the restuarant recommendation - I'm sure I'll take you up on the advice, we'll be there 3 days post-op. Any additional Monterrey advice is welcomed!

Take care, Dawn

Shop, shop, shop till you drop. That first day post-op is more of a drop day, but after that, enjoy your trip! My husband and I found an upscale shopping mall and put in some walking while I shopped for a new handbag! I think it was the Gallarias mall - I can't remember for sure but the front desk will be able to help you out if you want to find it.

Another thing I recommend is to spend a lot of time in the lobby of the hotel. You'll see lots of people (women mostly) who are there to have surgery with Dr. Rumbaut. All you have to do is make eye contact and give a nod and a smile, and before you know it you're sitting around a table discussing surgery, weight loss, life in genereal, and making friends. I met 5 women having WLS that way - 4 of them Rumbaut patients! I'm in contact with 3 of them to this day - we're band-sisters!

Enjoy your trip, take it easy, but enjoy yourself. Come back to LBT when you get home and tell me how it went.

I almost forgot - get some liquid Tylenol PM Golden vanilla to take with you. It'll help you sleep and give you a little pain relief - I didn't need any of the pills the doc gave me - just the Tylenol was enough.

Good Luck Sister!

Congrats on your band, and don't fret over missing your last suppers...in a few weeks you will be posting in frustration that you have no restriction and are able to eat the same as you could pre-op!!

Hope you get feeling better soon. I know that when I feel stressed I tend to come down with "something". So, take care of yourself. This this a life changing event. Let us know how you are doing.