Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet killing me mentally!

I know how you feel. I cheated and I was fine but I regret it. The pre op and first couple weeks after you can lose the most and then it may slow. Try to get the most out of this. You will be very happy in a few weeks with weight loss. Plus it doesn't get easier mentally so need to prepare. You will eat again. Be strong girl' date=' I tried, ate one day, felt bad and got back to it[/quote']

Lisamase I was thinking this was going to be the hardest phase, is post op harder?!?!

Day 2 of my pre op diet and I actually feel fine. Hopefully I can stick it out mentally, which is my main problem. I tell myself my only other option is to wire my mouth shut, so just stick with it!

I'm day 4 now and feeling stronger mentally and emotionally each day. The cravings are easing and I'm seeing some movement on the scales which is encouraging. Day 1 was hard, but day 2 was the worst! I just wanted to give up!

I'm day 4 now and feeling stronger mentally and emotionally each day. The cravings are easing and I'm seeing some movement on the scales which is encouraging. Day 1 was hard' date=' but day 2 was the worst! I just wanted to give up![/quote']

Way to hang in there! I believe it will keep getting easier for you, and your confidence will grow as it does (it did for me).

You can do it... After a few days it gets much easier and You do feel great .. Stay strong a few days to improve the rest of your life is totally worth it!!

I am on my 6th pre op day. Today has been my hardest. I find myself thinking about all the foods "I'll never be able to have again" - I know I need to focus on one day at a time but it's really hard and am craving things. Makes me almost have 2nd thoughts yet I have fought my weight issues for years and the time is almost here and I've gone through so much to get to this point!!! I know it's the mental part right now that is killing me. But I'm really struggling in my head about giving up all my favorite foods and never having them again. Is this crazy thinking or is this normal when I'm getting so close to my surgery date which is in one week?? Help!!

Teri

I was on preop diet for 4 weeks prior to surgery. Lost 2 stone. three slimfast and 3 yoghurts a day. It was rough the first three days then it got better. Some days I forgot to eat all my yoghurts!!! I just kept myself busy and kept icy cold Water in the fridge. Any time I got hungry I made myself drink two ounces of icy cold water. Killed the hunger!!!

+1 on the Water, I would just constantly drink water all day and eventually your mind will catch up to your body. Hang in there.

Thank you so much....but did you also have these thoughts about not ever being able to eat your favorite foods again???

Yep I thought about not being able to eat my favourite foods. But then I thought about what eating my favourite foods were costing me... not being able to walk the dog without losing my breath, buying clothes because they fit rather than because I like them, planning my workday to avoid the stairs.. Trust me all those thing things cost small pieces of your self esteem. It takes me 5 minutes to eat my favourite meal (creamy spinach pasta) and half an hour later I cant even remember what it tasted like or why I thought I needed it. So I drink my cold Water and consider.. 5 minutes of eating my favourite food or the making headway towards my goals. The satisfaction with the weight loss lasts a lot longer than the taste of those calorie laden foods. I am now 40 lbs lost (banded June 29th). I was in London for my fill on Saturday and was able to walk around and shop with my hubby and never lost my breath. We went shopping and I bought 24s instead of 28s. Feeling pretty proud of myself. That it lasting a lot longer than the 5 minutes of enjoyment of that Pasta. Best of luck to you. Shout if I can help in anyway

Thank you so much Amberley!! You make perfect sense!! It's just my crazy food addict mind giving me fits!! Congratulations to you on your weight loss and how well you are doing!!! I just have to realize that my favorites will still be there...and once in awhile if I have Chinese...or pizza....I will just be doing it in MUCH less quantity, right?? Thanks for listening and keep up the good job!!! Teri

I am on my 6th pre op day. Today has been my hardest. I find myself thinking about all the foods "I'll never be able to have again" - I know I need to focus on one day at a time but it's really hard and am craving things. Makes me almost have 2nd thoughts yet I have fought my weight issues for years and the time is almost here and I've gone through so much to get to this point!!! I know it's the mental part right now that is killing me. But I'm really struggling in my head about giving up all my favorite foods and never having them again. Is this crazy thinking or is this normal when I'm getting so close to my surgery date which is in one week?? Help!!

Teri

It's an amazing thing when you get over carb addiction and cravings I am 4 weeks post op and it no longer bothers me when people eat pizza burgers ect... Hang in there you will be happy you did

This pre-op diet is rough, no question about it, but it is all mental, not that that makes it any easier. When I worked through the mental stuff, crying like a crazy lady for a bit then pouring out my soul to my husband, I felt better, sucked it up and I'm feeling much better.