Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help Quick~ Need to take solid medication

Help my doctor - not band doctor pres. 300mg of clindomysin - antibotic - does not come in liquid form the pharmacy tells me then can't make into liquid like thay can others. I have been breaking the capsules into grape juice and taking like a straight shot - Major juck - almost gag it back up, chace it with small amount of sugar and Water. Total upsets my stomach!! Any suggestions - we tried pudding - major major yuck. - no way and I can't have apples - ie apple sauce. Please any suggetions - i guess it doesn't come in caplet for so I could cut it down. I am so tight in the am I really need to have it liquid or puree form. Please help with suggetions.

:help:

Jacqie - I bought a pill cutter and cut it into little pieces. I too bought the pill crusher and then mixed a big ole Ciprofloxacin in some cranberry juice... oh my gosh that was the most disgusting thing I've ever done! Gag doesn't describe it adequately. Since then I just make sure that it's the type of pill that can be crushed or cut and I cut it into little pieces that I know will go down and take them with Water. They prescribed me a liquid form - but I went to 5 pharmacies and none of them carried it, so I got the pill instead.

Why didn't you get your Dr. to prescribe you something that is in liquid form? That is what I do. I have to remind my Dr. to do that, but he does.

Ok, this is how I take my pills every night. It's tedious, but you won't taste a thing:

1. Crush pill with either a pill crusher or a mortar and pestle.

2. Place crushed pill in spoon, fill spoon with some sort of yogurt smoothie drink (on yogurt aisle, the ones in the bottle - I use the peach passion fruit flavor).

3. Have an open bottle of gatorade or some other strong, sweet juice ready.

4. When swallowing yogurt/pill concoction, get the spoon as far back in your mouth as possible. The back of your tongue is not as sensitive to bitter.

5. Immediately chase with a swig of gatorade.

Good luck, I promise it works!

I have taken Clindamycin, and it was in capsule form. My Band Dr. told me I could take capsules....what I needed to do is to put them in a small bowl of warm Water for a few minutes to begin the breakdown of the gel on the capsule. watch it very closely, and feel it, when it gets soft and slippery, pop it in your mouth and swallow. It should have plenty of time to finish disolving before any problems arise. You might try having a cup of warm coffee, tea, or broth afterwards to speed the disolving. Hope this works for you, I know taking them without the covering is nasty business!!!

Kat

Is it a capsule or a caplet? If it's a capsule you can drop it in Water and watch it for a couple of minutes. When it starts to have a wobby, overripe grape look to it you can swallow it down whole with no problem and no sticking. This is the advice my band doc gave me and it works great. If it's a 'capsule coating' on a tablet this probably won't work.

Good luck.

It only comes in capsule form - 150 mg and 300 mg no caplet or anything not even liquid - We tried the Dr. and I

We always do liquid but this antibiotic is not suitable for liquid - it is capsule or nothing. My Dr and pharmacist both are great about the liquid but they really want me on this certain antibiotic.

We will try the Water softening technique. If that doesn't work I will do the yogurt smoothie technique. We are switching to 150 mg capsules from the 300 mg capsules to make the pill smaller and hopefully easier to swallow

If it's a capsule it's no problem - put it in a small glass with Water and let it begin to melt. When it looks baggy, swallow it. Capsule = good. Caplet = bad.

There are some other antibiotics that are in the same family as clindomysin that do come in liquid form. I worked at a pediatric office and I often had to call it in, but I can't remember what it is. Your doc should know though.

;) Kristin