Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 Hour Fitness anyone?

:) I... gulp, gulp, gulp... am SERIOUSLY considering... gulp, gulp, a gym.:omg:

I just HATE the thought of people's thoughts about a big girl working out... I just know everyone there will be hot and lean and mean....

Yeah, I know stupid worries.... Where is dawg with the tuna?

Tell me it will be ok....

Tell me what you think of this gym?

I don't know about THAT gym in particular but I can tell you that I was scared to death to walk into a gym just knowing I would be the largest person there. Well, I was right. I was the largest person in the place but did not receive any negative comments. In fact, most people went out of their way to assist me with unfamiliar machines. Go for it!

Well I am a member of Fitness Connection...and Love it....I felt the same way about what people would think of me there...but when I see people like me...I think good job!!

I also got me a personal trainer and love every minute of it.......

What you generally see in a gym is lots of people just like you trying to get in shape. Depends when you go too - for the last 10 years I've been a stay at home mum, so go in the morning, after I've dropped the kids at school and yep, its full of stay at home mums. And there's certainly never any star jumps being done in the circuit classes, roflmao!

I go to 24 hour fitness. I go before work 3 times a week. I find that because I'm there early, you don't run into the gymbo types (boy/girl bimbo) I've heard that the gym that I do go to get's pretty crowded in the late afternoon/early evening.

When I first started going July of last summer (a month or so after surgery) I did feel a little self concious. Not anymore.

The only thing the 24 hour gym that I go to in the morning is missing is a pool. I wouldn't mind swimming occasionally. I did get the type of membership where I can go to any 24 hour fitness anywhere!

GO TO THE GYM!!! First of all who cares what ppl think (I know, I know, we all do to some extent!)...but...in all honesty, they will just think to theirselves, "hey...at least she is here and trying...that is great"....so just go.

It will take no time before you are comfortable with the surroundings and enviornment and it won't even bother you!! Just stick with it!

Good luck..have fun and enjoy!

I LOVE my 24 hour fitness gym. I do the machines, step aerobics and spinning. There are ALL types of bodies there, many very, very overweight, some model types. But you know, go there for YOU and your work-out for your body AND your mind.

After awhile you do truly get addicted to the "high' of a good aerobic work-out. Go in the morning so there is no excuse to skip it later in the day when your re tired (and hungry).

Pam

3/24/06

218/194/130

Heather - JUST DO IT!! You will hate it at first, but love it after a while!! You WILL get some stares & rude people who won't make you feel very comfortable, but really......this is about your health!! It is the absolute best thing you can do for yourself. ;)

I think I've shared my story here about the first time I went to the gym. I weighed 250 lbs. My trainer had a hard time even looking at me in the face - she was emberassed for me!! :eek: She was nice, but I think this was a first to have a larger woman to work with. I left the gym bawling & wondering what in the world I had gotten myself into. I still remember the feelings!!! But, as hard as it was - I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Let me share something with you that has made it all worth while. I was working out a few weeks ago & a very buff woman walked up to me & said - "I have been watching you from the 1st day you joined & I am so motivated by you! You are working inicredibly hard & look so good! You keep me going. I am so proud of you!!" :) I can't even begin to tell you how good that made me feel.

I have never worked out in my life until now & it's still difficult to get my butt out of bed & get to the gym. But, I do it & feel so much better when I do.

YOU CAN DO IT HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I was going to the YMCA for over a year before I had my surgery...it's actually one of the reasons I decided on surgery. Hey if I'm working out 1.5 - 2 hours a day and not loosing weight, it must be what I'm eating right? LOL I was sure I would feel uncomfortable but for the most part everyone was really nice. I made friends not only with other members but with the staff. I now work there, started 2 weeks after my surgery. One of my best friends there is a personal trainer and instructor and probally a size 4 lol. She has been ALOT of help with me, especially moving over to the free weights instead of always using the machines. She has NEVER judged me, and knows how hard I work at this. She keeps telling me when I loose the weight my hard bod will emerge because I lift higher than typical weights for a "girl".

I say go for it. I hate exercising but I go to 24 Hour Fitness. I have yet to feel like anyone was staring at me there. There are folks of all shapes and sizes there. When I can afford it, I get a trainer.

Trust me, you will not be the only big person sweating and looking awkward at first on a machine. It'll be fine!

Thanks guys...

You all have some great encouraging words... like I knew you would.

I was in a hurry when I posted yesterday and didn't mention that I have a friend that will be going with me... She is a size 8 though and thinks she is HUGE LOL some girls...

We would be going at 5:00 in the morning and she said it probably won't be that crowded.

THANKS again LBT buddies!!!

Okay sis,

I'll be there are 5:00AM (PST) tomorrow morning. I will give you a mental hello at 5:10AM

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I'm there with ya too!! I joined Lifestyle Fitness here in Tampa, and will be going early in the morning too. We will all have a mental workout together.