Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone, I've been obese most of my adult life, I tried all kinds of programs and they work to some degree, but after about 4-5 months I either lose interest or the stresses of life overcome my efforts and I slide back. I have all of the weight related comorbidities, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, sleep apnea. My knees and hips hurt all the time and I have no energy or stamina. A pretty dreary picture. I'm looking into weight loss surgery as a last resort, not what I wanted to do, but after too many years of failing to overcome this condition by traditional diet and exercise, I feel I need to do something different. You could all help me to make a decision if I can learn first hand, how others faced the same issues.

I know when I lose a few pounds it makes a big difference in my energy levels, but if you eat a lot less, is energy or stamina a problem?

I'm kind of shy and reserved, I know when people see you lose a lot of weight at once they always ask how, right now I'd rather not try to explain my option for surgery, how did some of you handle it?

I like the idea of the lap band over surgeries that reconstruct your insides, there's lot's of horror stories on the internet, as well as success stories, I suspect a lot of the problems are due to the patient complying with the rules of living with the lap band, would you agree?

How much have you had to change your life because of the band (a big fear of mine)?

Thanks to everyone who can help

I have only been banded since 4-16-13. I have lost 30 lbs since I started my pre op diet but I am off my diabetes, reflux, & cholesterol meds. That in its self is totally worth it for me:-)

There are a lot of changes that have to be made which is all in all the hardest but totally worth it if it keeps me around longer to watch my kids grow up & have their own children!

Make sure before you make the commitment you are mentally ready to make the changes necessary or it can really limit your success.

Good luck!!

you came to the right place for advice. I have had the band since July and saw the doctor yesterday and he said I have lost 60% of my body fat and he is thrilled.

​I have lots of energy. Before the band I took a 2-3 hour afternoon nap and now I don't at all unless I am not feeling well. I can walk around a mall or large store without getting tired. I have bad knees and a very bad back and I still fine as long as I don't stand in one spot for long.

In the past I never could accept comments on losing weight and this time I am doing great. Most people don't know about the band, family and very close friends do. Buying smaller sizes and not in the 'Fat' department is super and less expensive. I am off all meds except vitamins and minerals which you need to take for life

Good luck with your decision. Have you gone to a meeting yet where you would have the surgery? They are wonderful. I love my monthly support meetings and went to those for many months before the band, also.

Hi Everyone' date=' I've been obese most of my adult life, I tried all kinds of programs and they work to some degree, but after about 4-5 months I either lose interest or the stresses of life overcome my efforts and I slide back. I have all of the weight related comorbidities, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, sleep apnea. My knees and hips hurt all the time and I have no energy or stamina. A pretty dreary picture. I'm looking into weight loss surgery as a last resort, not what I wanted to do, but after too many years of failing to overcome this condition by traditional diet and exercise, I feel I need to do something different. You could all help me to make a decision if I can learn first hand, how others faced the same issues.

I know when I lose a few pounds it makes a big difference in my energy levels, but if you eat a lot less, is energy or stamina a problem?

I'm kind of shy and reserved, I know when people see you lose a lot of weight at once they always ask how, right now I'd rather not try to explain my option for surgery, how did some of you handle it?

I like the idea of the lap band over surgeries that reconstruct your insides, there's lot's of horror stories on the internet, as well as success stories, I suspect a lot of the problems are due to the patient complying with the rules of living with the lap band, would you agree?

How much have you had to change your life because of the band (a big fear of mine)?

Thanks to everyone who can help[/quote']

I was banded 4.22.13...Down 32 pounds, that includes my 2 week pre op diet. No complications, going good. It is hard, you must be in control more than I thought I would have to.

I was banded. 12/28/12 had a port revision on 5/10/13 because my port flipped but I've had small victories. Today for the first time IN YEARS no less, I was able to shop all of Sam's Club without having to use a mobility cart! That to me is huge because that means I'm burning calories while I'm walking. We shop Sam's weekly so the employees were surprised to see me walking! It felt great.. I have not lost a tremendous amount of weight but it still is a loss.

Pre-op weight 267

Post op so far is 222

45 lbs lost so far

OK, here's my answer to your question. You have to change how you approach eating....but you do not have to give up foods you enjoy or things you enjoy having to do with food....like eating out. Know that while so many people are excited to start their lapband journeys, I did it under duress. My back was literally against the wall and I was looking at losing my mobility which is a very scary thing. I have severe arthritis and even though I am still in alot of pain, I know that knee replacement if I need it, will now be successful. My doctor told me that I would not do well at the weight I was and I knew I was simply out of options. I'm down 63 lbs. in the five months I've been banded and I will give myself till the end of the year to see if I have pain relief. If not, I will have my knee replaced...and should see a good outcome with the weight loss.

I know this whole process is scary...it's a different way of life and an unknown way of life. This forum has been a godsend in terms of information and support. Feeling good and looking good is so much better than the fleeting happy feeling when we eat till we're stuffed.

Also...it's up to you who you tell or don't tell about the band. I've told some people but not everyone. If I don't want to tell someone I was banded, I just say that I'm watching my calories. That's not a lie because I do just that. The band is not a cure-all...you still have to work hard at it and keep track of everything you eat. What it does do, if you are in the zone, is help you to feel satisfied on less food for longer periods of time.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I'm kind of shy and reserved, I know when people see you lose a lot of weight at once they always ask how, right now I'd rather not try to explain my option for surgery, how did some of you handle it Whether you chose to explain YOUR decision about WLS that is YOUR choice. we all handle this differently. IF your Shy, I'd say this is to your advantage ;)

I like the idea of the lap band over surgeries that reconstruct your insides,​A totally understandable fear there's lot's of horror stories on the internet, as well as success stories Any and All Weight loss surgeries are going to have both types of stories, that is a fact. I think your smart researching all the different types, Discuss them with your surgeon. No one person can tell you how it's going to be for you,no matter what you chose.I suspect a lot of the problems are due to the patient complying with the rules of living with the lap band, would you agree,NO, sorry I don't agree, Non-compliance isn't always about the patient not following the Rules ,MANY follow the "rules" and still experience complications.

How much have you had to change your life because of the band (a big fear of mine? Again doesn't matter what others do, you have to decide CAN I LIVE WITH THE CHANGES? Will I be able to follow a pre-op diet, can I live with restricting my food intake while I go through Bandster Hell? Will I be able to count calories, log food, see a nutritionist, exercise as I should, deal with reflux, productive burping, vomiting, being unable to eat when I get stuck? I'm not saying any of this will happen to you but it does happen. I believe it's better to prepare yourself in advance. READ the questions new banders have, complications, go to a weight loss meeting in your area, then make a decision that you can live with. :rolleyes: because no matter what anyone says it's not a Quick Fix, it's a Life changing event.

Thanks to everyone who can help