Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 4/27/06 and Miserable!! HELP!!!

:) Between the gas, the lack of energy, and just plain feeling sick, I am really scared right now. I can't seem to even drink an ounce of Water without feeling EXTREMELY full or even sick. When does it stop. When will I be able to have a simple glass of water. I am getting very depressed and starting to question my decision. Please someone help, I need some encouragement fast.....

Hmm... I could drink w/o feeling sick, but would get completely filled up on Water. I'd work ona 16.9 bottle all day and still not finish it. Are you trying to drink the water cold? If so, try room temperature - should help with the nausea.

Welcome to bandland!

I felt much like this too. It took about a week to feel normal again and sipping Water was all I could manage. But over time things did come back to normal and by the end of the second week I could drink more and was feeling much less pain.

Get up and walk around as much as you can tolerate. sleep all you want, you're body is focusing all of its energy on healing. Try a warm heating pad for relief of pain. Extra strength liquid Tylenol seems to be highly recommended. I just stayed on the prescribed medicine my Dr gave me until I felt well enough to do without it. And Wheetsin's right, try drinking room temp Water or even sipping on some warm broth. It really is comforting even if you can't drink much at a time. If you get hungry, just sip more whenever you need to. You don't have to be on a restricted meal time or amount of calories right now. Just focus on healing.

Trust me, you don't need to fear this. It's the natural process of healing and adjusting to your band. Day by day it gets better and better. *hugs*

Hey Dimples,

Sorry you're feeling so bad. I know it's scary but as long as you're able to drink and your wounds look good - no redness, heat, or ooze - you're OK. You just had a pretty big surgery a couple of days ago. Give yourself a chance to heal. Every day you'll feel a little bit better. If you're still worried and need more reassurance don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They've heard it all and can tell you if what you're feeling is normal or not.

Be well and keep posting to let us know how you're doing.

I was banded on 3/14/06 and honestly th efirst 4- 5 days were the worst I was having 2nd thoughts too!!!!! It gets easier alot easier after the first week, stay calm focused you need distractions so you dont focus on the surgery and food. Good Luck!!!!!

It sounds as if you probably more swollen than alot of people get. It's not completely uncommon, but it probably makes things a little more difficult. Walking around will help with the gas pains, and sleep will help with the healing. Just try and sip Water all day until it gets a little easier.

Feel better!

I was banded on 3/30 and felt like I was run over by a truck the entire first week. On day 9 I had a complete turn-around and felt human. After that, each day got better. Force yourself to walk, bend at the waste (use a pillow for support) and drink as the others suggested.

Dimples, I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty after surgery. I hope that you feel better very soon. *hugs*

I felt the same way as you. I was banded on 4/11/06 and was unable to drink anything and was in a lot of pain. I was like that for the first 2wks after surgery. It does get better trust me just take one day at a time. Now I am on my 3rd wk and feel pretty good and am able to eat a little bit at a time. Just hang in their!!!

**hugs**

Felicia

Everything sounds perfectly normal, if not pleasant...sorry about that part. Many bandsters feel the same way you do, but after a few weeks, they are singing the band's praises! Be patient. Take good care of yourself.

One of the most important lessons the band can teach you is to have patience, and to look at the big picture. Take a long-term view. Not everything can fixed "right now." Surgery takes time to heal; then it will take time to learn to work with your band and not against it.

Thanks for asking for help. You'll get plenty of good advice here!

Get better, and take care, Cindy

I am sorry you have felt so bad. I was just banded on 4/28 and the first three days were hell. Make sure your bowels are working well to help get rid of all the gas. Also I had to make sure I took my pain medicines so I would keep swallowing the Water. I am on day four and am feeling much better. It is just different for each of us. Hang in there, it will get better.:confused:

Like Michelle said, each of us responds differently to surgery and heals differently. I was also banded on Friday. I have felt miserable and had major pain around my port area to where I felt like my insides were literally tearing apart every time I moved. I have also been exhausted and sleeping a lot. Last night when my hubby and I went to bed I started crying and telling him I think I made a big mistake and I did not know I was going to hurt this bad, etc. Of course, he said all the right things and reminded me that my body was still healing. Then, I got up this morning and am feeling 10 times better than yesterday. Just listen to your body and don't overdo it and you will feel better soon. Do you have someone at home helping you out? My mom is staying with us until I get back to feeling more normal so I can just rest and let my body heal. I promise, you will feel better soon.

I took everyones advice from the Gas-X to the bending over..... I can actually walk up and down the block now... I am able to keep down Water, and even some Protein shake. I am feeling alot better!!:clap2: The only problem I have now is I have a clot in my hand from my IV that was compromised... I had to get an emergency appointment with the doctor... If it does not go away I may have to have surgery on my hand, BUT, I still FEEL GREAT!!!!! No more questioning whether I did the right thing or not, I know I have now... I even lost 19lbs already.....:biggrin1:

I just want to thank everyone who responding.. I will definitely be a regular at this site... You all were such a great support!! THANK YOU :)