Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months out -only 30 lbs down

Currently at 180. Wish I was lower but it seems many low BMI bandsters don't lose as radically as people w more to lose. My band still allows me to eat portions that are bigger than a cup. 6ccs in a 10 cc band. I get stuck if I try to eat anything in the am. lunch needs to be liquid. Dinners neeeeed hot tea first and then I can usually get down fish. I eat much healthier now even though I'm still size 16, and only 1 size down from where I started. But I want to feel sexy naked people!!! So i still have a ways to go. Goal weight 150. Gimme some support peeps. We can do this together!

It does seem to be true that the lower the BMI goes the slower the weight comes off. I started at 244, the weight seem to melt off until I hit 199, then it got really slow. It took 4 months for me to lose 10 lbs. Yesterday, I finally saw 188 on the scale. I am so glad to get to the 180's, I am hoping to get to the 140's, but that may take 2 years.

The doc told me that my weight loss would wax and wain, that I should not get discouraged. Easier said than done.

how are you eating more then a cup if you are having a hard time eating food and most is piqued? sounds like you need to see your doctor. You should be able to eat solid food but a cup or less at each meal should be satifing. The band should not stop you from eating but should make you not hungary after a meal...something is not right here. Once you figure this part out the weight should be steady at 1-2 lbs a week like any other diet program.

The band will not stop you from eating more than a cup. The point is for you to feel satisfied/satiated with just a cup or less.

I was a low BMI patient too. I had only lost about 32 lbs 6 months into my journey. I finally reached the green zone but I kept getting stuck so I had some saline removed. Now I know that I was not eating correctly. I thought I was chewing my food enough, I thought my bites were small enough, I was wrong. Learning to eat correctly is one of the most difficult things for a bandster to do.

For some of us, feeling, sensing or understanding what satiation truly is, can take months or even years to fully develop and understand. It does sound like you may be too tight but ask yourself this? Can you eat Soups? Soups like progresso or campbells chicken with noodles or beef and barley? If you can down soups but can't eat normal foods, you may not be eating like a bandster. Because, eating like a bandster means the food you chew is similar in consistency to Soup as it hits your pouch.

tmf

I wish I had a "accurate" scale that measured "fat" and "muscle" because what I would see is that my body is getting "fit" which is so much more important then "weight loss". I have 40 pounds to lose and can't wait to say I lost 30 pounds!..Good Job! Stack up 30 boxes of butter and look at how much weight that is!

I tell myself that I need to be learning about the process as I lose, what lifestyle change is all about and I think I'm learning more the slower the weight loss the more I re-think about health and vitality.

Otherwise, if it's just another "diet" this is only going to be temporary. I learning from the support groups and I'm working on my food issues that got me here. Your an inspiration.. Thanks for your post!

"But I want to feel sexy naked people"

Heck yeah sister! :)

I don't know a lot, but from what you describe it sounds like you may be too tight!

Oh I so needed to see this!!! You're not alone on the slow weight loss part. I started at 194 and am 9 months out, only 16 pounds down. I have another 38 to go. So that is only a 1.78 pound loss per month! Progress, right? I don't have the same tightness issue as you. I learned a trick, well not a trick really, that helped me to stick to the 1 cup portion size at every meal. I dished up in a measuring cup, spred it out on the plate, divided to 4 equal sizes, worked on one quarter of the plate every 5 minutes. So really small bites, lots of chewing. I watch the clock when I eat like this and am full, truly full, at the 17 minute mark. Then I quit and dump the rest. See if that works for you. Also, don't eat Breakfast first thing in the day if you aren't hungry. I made that mistake and got stuck everytime. Try eating at 9:30 in the morning and see if you have better results.

Watch those calories :)

BTW, I researched true weight loss percentages by the FDA studies done on gastric banding. The average is 2 years to lose 60-70% of the excess weight. Could be why the rate of loss seems so minimal to us lighter folks.