Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"stuck' question

Hey guys,

I don't know if this should be in 'complications' but I wasn't sure, so....

I'm wondering something... I'm trying to decide how I want to go about taking these caplets (is that what its called when a powder is encased in a 2 piece gelatinous 'shell'?)

If I were to swallow them whole... and they got stuck.... would they not just dissolve eventually with a little Water?

And if they didn't get stuck, but just sat in my 'pouch' for a a while til they were washed out... wouldn't they dissolve enough to slide through as well?

I shouldn't bother asking, cause I did it anyways... I held them in my mouth long enough to get the gel coating really soft, then swallowed. I have to take 3 at a time, 3 times a day... and the powder inside tastes really nasty, so I'm trying to get around it....

In case anyone's wondering what the heck I'm taking that I need 9 a day... it's "Cold FX". I don't know if you have it in the US or not, but its supposed to be a 'cold remedy'... and I decided to give it a try. I know, I'm a sucker. I'm supposed to take 3, 3 times a day for one day, then 2, 3 times a day for one day, then 1, 3 times a day for one day.

I'll let ya know if it helps. I've had this damn cough for a week, and I just want it to go away!

I think you're describing a capsule and yes, it will dissolve whether it's in the pouch or the stomach. Enteracoated medications are caustic to the stomach and dissolve in the small intestine so they should not be split in half. Extended release/slow release/timed capsules should also not be altered.

The element that is supposed to make a cold leave your body more quickly is zinc. Rather than spending a fortune for the "cold remedy" just read how much zinc is in the remedy and then buy that dose of zinc in a drug store for a lot less money (and you get much more).

I hope you feel better soon.

I read somewhere on here that putting the capsule in warm Water for just a few seconds makes the outter part of the capsule become soft and slippery. So it's easily swallowed.

I take 75mg capsules everyday and have had no problems at all. If you do have any problems, I'd recommend small sips of warm liquid. Good luck :P

I have no issue with pills as long as I take them with plenty of Water. If you are really worried about them, open them up, dump the powder in a little bit of water, and drink it fast. I had to do that with my antibiotic right after surgery, but I haven't had to do it since.

My metformin are big and I take then 3X daily, so I cut them. On capsules, I just soften in Water for a second and them swallow with some warm tea or something. They should be fine, even if they got "stuck" they will be washed down with warm liquid.< /p>

I don't even know what that is, but I typed "metformin liquid" into google, and I got results... which seem to sound like there is a such thing. You could ask a pharmacist to be sure.

:confused:

My band doc told me to soak capsules for a few minutes till they look like an overripe grape and then swallow them. I've done it several times and it goes down great.