Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else Blog? How did you come out to your friends and family about having LapBand?

I started a blog a while back...wondered if any of you also have one? I have not gone completely public yet about my surgery...not even to some of my friends and family. I am planning to soon....going to have to because more and more people are "finding out" and I feel like I constantly am explaining myself!

In my experience, I wish I would have waited to tell people like you have!! I have told my family and friends already. Because my weight is not coming off really quickly I feel like some of those people judge me for that, especially if I eat in front of them. It has been kind of hard, I just have to remind myself that this is my journey and my life and those people may not completely understand how the band works. I read your blog and it was nice to see someone put in writing a lot of the same feelings I have had over the years. I wish you the best of luck in telling your family and friends, it sounds like you are working really hard and I am sure they will start to notice your weight loss and wonder what you are doing!!

I have a blog... I love it... I have only told a choosen few about my surgury and those that know about it know about my blog and keep track for there. .. keeps me from being pestered w questions everytime I talk w the ones I have told..

I have a blog and love it. It's not public to my friends just people on here really but it's my place to let it lose and document every step of this journey. It's my online scrapbook and I'd be lost without it

If and when you would like to share...I would love to read them!

I have found that it helps to distinguish between lapband and gastric bypass when explaining. That lapband is just a Portion Control tool for me....people always have their own opinions, and Im not quite ready to shout from the mountain tops yet. LOL! I graduate with my Associates Degree in Medical Assisting in May...maybe I should just buy an "im with the band" tshrt and wear it to my party. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Ive been very open about my surgery, but thats only because I don't want people offering me food all the time. Precisely today at work a co worker walked into my office with biscuit from a fast food chain, and I said oh no I just hast has WLS, and thats it. Im not asking anyone for their approval, just stating a fact. And I leave it open for conversation only if I want to. I hope you find what works for you.

My family was part of the entire process. They have been very supportive of me even when I did not do very well. I send a weekly update to them after my weigh in. I do find that now I have lost a lot of weight I do not tell a lot of new people anymore. Tired of explaining it.

I was open and upfront from day one. I knew I needed the support. I work in health care, a nurse and there is always tons of food around the work place. I wanted everyone to know why I was no longer going to graze with them everyday and why i was eating healthy. Sad you have to explain! My family was my rock and so have most of my friends been.

I do blog and mine are open on this site, I did not do an external web blog because I blog for two reasons, one to help me and two to help others who are knew to lap band or who are struggling. I have been active on this site through out my journey and will continue to be active even though I am below goal and have been there for 6 months. Good luck to you on your journey.

I have been open with close friends and members of a support group that I am admin of- which includes some of my close friends and some acquaintances.

Obviously my husband, kids, sister, brother and mom knew...etc. my mother in law and sis in law are only ones on hubbys side.

I work in daycare right now- so I dont really have to work with adults- and the girls in my MA program know.

My 2nd job is at our local gym- and this is where my coworkers have given me the weird feelings about it when I shared before surgery...and others have been awesome!

I guess I just didnt want to deal with the "oh lucky you- losing weight will be easy for you now!" Because in fact, it probably wont. I am open to answering questions and clearing up misconceptions when people that I have told ask.....or people they have told ask. My mother in law didnt say a THING except "I trust that you have done your research well." She feels it was unnecessary Im sure because she has been successful on weight watchers this time...and so have I...3 times. Lol.

I will share with everyone soon- now that the surery is over and people wont try to talk me out of it. I guess its that lovely fear of rejection....the one im trying to shed along with weight- that holds me back!

Thanks for all the comments! ;-)

I only told a hand full like my boss, my mom, dad, sisters, 2 close cousins, and 2 of my aunts . Oh i also told my bestie? I have a BIG family and that's all I told.

I only told a few close friends and my immediate family before the surgery. I had to 'come out' after surgery because we are very active in our community and I didn't feel the need to hide - well, I thought I did at first and then realized that I really didn't GAS what other people thought. The first night out was awkward - three days after surgery, I was sore, tired, not eating, and everyone was asking why I wasn't. When I nonchalantly said I just had surgery the results were mixed. Some negative, some positive. Now, two weeks out, even the negative Nellie's have been very supportive. It's not that you can really see the 20 lbs I'm down so far, it's that they see how difficult it is to stick to the post-op program and what lies ahead. For the most part, I think they see it is not the easy fix they assumed. And, again, I don't GAS what they think - I'm planning my summer wardrobe and it doesn't include the mu-mu's in my closet today! :P

I didn't come out to friends or family at first. My husband knew but my daughter and my parents were told about 1 week before surgery. I didn't want negativity going into surgery, but they were very supportive. Slowly I have been telling co-workers when they ask.

Thats how Ive been doing it thus far. Just telling a person here and there...but we live in a fairly small community which I have been fairly active in over the past 10 years...and word travels fast.

I only told a hand full of people. I have a family member that has seemed to tell everyone else. Not happy about it, but can't change what is already done. I just wished people would respect other people's privacy.

Thats how Ive been doing it thus far. Just telling a person here and there...but we live in a fairly small community which I have been fairly active in over the past 10 years...and word travels fast.

That's so funny because I went to our social hour Saturday morning and I could immediately tell that half the room had been at the same hen party where I was obviously the main topic of conversation. I almost felt like I should just take the microphone and make the announcement formally! :)