Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this banded world.

My sister and I were banded on 2/24/04, after a long waiting period. Our surgeon, Frank Borao in Long Branch, NJ, has the best reputation in the area; so, we felt he was worth waiting for. He's a great laporoscopic surgeon, but he has no one at his bariatric surgery office who has been banded or bypassed, and the staff just can't answer our nitty-gritty post-op questions. That's why I'm glad I found all of you. Suddenly, I feel like I am surrounded by the best people in the world. I am sharing this surgery with all of you, my sister, my husband, my son, and my best friend. That's it. I have no intention of answering the questions of the naturally thin population in our world, the people who feel superior because they think they have greater willpower and yet they were simply genetically predisposed to being thin. Let them wonder how I suddenly developed superior willpower. Ha-Ha, we're on our way to a new life. Seriously folks, the greatest factor in my decision to have weight-loss surgery was my desire to be around for my children and grandchildren, and to have a good quality of life. (Becoming as beautiful as I can be is definitely a rewarding perk, though!)

Hi Candy!

You are right, Dr. Borao has a great reputation. I'm surprised he doesn't have a better after-care program, since he does so many bands. Although I probably shouldn't be surprised--my doctors' office has only just instituted band-specific support group meeting and one of the docs has been doing the band since the clinical trials! Oh well, better late than never, I guess.

How cool that you're doing this with your sister! I'm jealous. And I love your line about the people who feel superior--I work with one of those and she ticks me off all the time.

Glad to have you aboard, another Jerseyan! ;) :eek: ;)

Hi Candy.........I too am from Long Branch and I had my band placed last Monday by Dr Borao. Hopefully the new center will be more helpful than the office was. I too haven't told anyone other than my closest friends. This is something that is very private and it required alot of thought to make this decision. I don't need anyone thin trying to tell me "if only you had more will power" or telling me about a new diet.........I know they all mean well but to understand you have to live through the years of diet, diet, diet !! I had someone say to me "if you just cut down on sweets".....I know she didn't believe me when i said I only have dessert on holidays and birthdays !! ANYWAY I think it is so cool that you and a sister can do it together. My friend had BY Pass by DR Borao 5 weeks ago so we are helping each other !! GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH.

karen

241/226/165-170