Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

more questions banding on 4/27

Okay,

I just got home from the grocery store. bought lots of flavored water, soy Protein Shakes, smoothies, gas x, multi Vitamin. Do I need anything else?

Also, my surgery was just scheduled and I have still been on foods, is this going to be a problem. I plan on all liquids tomorrow and from now on. I was just wondering if anyone else didn't get on liquids for one full week prior to their surgery. My weight is 225. I am guessin if it were too signif they wouldn't have scheduled it so soon?????

I am thrilled I got it scheduled so fast but I won't get to talk to anyone until tomorrow, I think I am suppose to call the dietician I have to read through the paperwork again. I am being banded by ortiz in Mexico.

Any tips for my trip? For new bandsters am looking for any advice? I have also had laproscopic surgery (gall bladder 18 years ago) and a c section do you think this will be a problem??

thanks, t

I just got banded on 21 Apr. I recommend liquid gravol...it has helped me. It seems that the pain killer I take (demerol) is making me nauseous and the LAST thing I want to do is vomit....so the liquid gravol has been a dear friend.

thanks, what is liquid gravol for? I have never heard of it. How are you feeling? How long since you've eaten food? I am getting nervous and terrified that I won't be able to stop eating. What a waste of money that would be!

Ok - I got Mylicon (sp?) drops - the stuff you give babies when they have gas. Also, make sure you have a heating pad. When you get to the non-Clear Liquids stage, I found that potato Soup made with Water salt and pepper was a lifesaver. Good luck with the surgery!

PS... you'll be fine! you will stop eating.... :-)

Hey T, I am getting banded by Dr. Ortiz on April 28th. Maybe I'll see you there. I have been on liquids for 4 days now (I got a little anxious and started a few days early) It's really hard. I have only cheated once. I weigh 228 5'3". I am feeling much like you, getting nervous but excited at the same time. I live in Phoenix, where are you coming from.

Ellen

Liquid Gravol is an anti-nausea over the counter medication. Usually it is taken in pill form but it tastes REALLY gross crushed...so I bought the liquid version (which is for babies/kids)...it is yummy...it tastes like grape. Just be sure to talk to your pharm. so you know how much to take since it is geared for kids (ie. you will have to take a bigger doseage).

Yes, the heating pad has been helping me a LOT!!!

forgot to give my two cents worth on the Vitamins. There are liquid "multivitamins" out there but my pharm. told me that they are not as good as the chewable kind (ie. not as potent). So, I went for the chewable kind. I got the generic version which was the exact same as Centrum chewables but over half the price.

ellen vick,

I am from gilbert! what a small world! I am 225 and am starting liquids tomorrow, feeling very nervous!!. I fly in Wednesday night, surgery, thursday night, fly home saturday, we should look each other up. Are you going with family. I'm wingin it.

Thanks for the advice on the liquid nausea rx, is nausea a common side effect? I got some of the liquid multi Vitamins, haven't tried them yet.

I'll be honest. I didn't do the liquid diet at all before the surgery. I didn't understand why until the day before. The nutritionist explained to me that they want you to lose or stay at the same weight because if you gain any new fat, it will complicate the surgery. The reason it complicates it is because new fat is very slippery and hard to work around once the surgeon is inside of you. So they are trying to avoid you gaining any new fat beforehand. Also, it cuts down on the inflamation. Hence, making it easier to work inside of you. I had my surgery 4 days ago. I didn't seem to have any complications from not following the liquid phase. I went out and had chicken alfredo for lunch and chicken fajitas w/ a strawberry daquiri for dinner the night before getting banded. I don't want to be a bad influence on anyone..just letting you know it can be done!

One suggestion, I went to my regular doctor before surgery and asked for non-vomitting medicine. I traveled to Mexico for my surgery and was afraid if anything went wrong or I just happend to get the stomach flu...I didn't want my band slipping. My doc gave me suppositories so that I didn't have to worry about whether I could get it down my throat. Good luck to you!

Oh! I just noticed you're going down to see Dr. Ortiz also! I didn't catch that the first time around. I will give you a more detailed experience.

I went down last Wednesday. It was about a 35 minute drive from the San Diego airport to clinic. They pick you up and drive you straight there so you can get your labs over with right away. They picked me and 2 others up at the same time. We had our labs, met with the cardiologist and nutritionist. That took about 1 1/2 hours. Then they drove us to Hotel Lucerna. It is very nice. No hot tub, though. I was hoping they'd have one! There are 2 restaurants right there. That is where I had my 'last meals'. You can take a $5 taxi ride down to the Revolution which is blocks and blocks of shops.

The next morning Mrs. Ortiz picked us up and brought us back to the clinic where we sat in the waiting room for approx. 1 hour while the others that had just had their bands placed the day before, were getting up and ready to be discharged. It's very casual. They call out "who wants to go first". I think, as the beds clear out they take in the new patients. They have 6 private rooms with Direct TV and the beds that go up and down!

They had me change into a gown, put on these stockings on my legs. They gave me an ativan and something else. I can't remember what but it's for anxiety. I ended up falling asleep. I was told later by the other patients that I would have been 2nd but since I fell asleep right away, they let me sleep and I was like 5th or 6th to have my surgery. It probably helped me to be later in the day since I ate so much the night before!

I remember waking up for a moment and Dr. Ortiz was trying to talk to me but I was out for the count. I was up within 1-2 hours and walking around.

I did wake up off and on throughout the night. They will give you sleep meds if you ask for them. Some of the patients took them and slept through the night.

The next day you can stay as long as you wish or be discharged around 9 am. I made myself walk a lot to try and avoid the gas that everyone talks about. I didn't have any problems but my friend had a lot of gas problems after her surgery (we went down together).

We actually were discharged and went out shopping for the rest of the afternoon. We were tired but we probably would have been anyway by all the shopping we did! Mrs. Ortiz had mentioned dropping off some medication but they hadn't so when I got back to the hotel I called and she drove over

We stayed that night at the hotel and the next morning Mrs. Ortiz called my room and we discussed what time I needed to get to the airport. She keeps a schedule. A non-speaking gentleman will likely pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Warning--they drive like maniacs on the freeway!! But we got across the border ok. They border patrol did ask if we had any medications and I told them I had one thing which was the pain meds they had given me. But most people go to the walk-in pharmacies and by up antibiotics and anything else you can think of. So, if you want extra meds, you can buy almost anything in Mexico over the counter. It costs about $22 for Cipro.

By the way, the name of the medication I got for anti-vomitting and diarrhea was Phenergan. Some of the others have side effects I am told.

The plane ride home was the worst part. However, I flew Southwest and if you tell them you need to pre-board they will let you. It helps to be first on and first off the plane. Make sure you can check all of your luggage because you don't want to be lifting anything. I brought an extra suitcase so that I could check it with all my new stuff and not have to worry about lugging anything around the airport.

One more thing. While you're there ask Mrs. Ortiz to take you to the calimax. It's a grocery store. You can pick up these drink pouches for about .30 cents and they are just like crystal light but they come in a lot more flavors. I stocked up while I was down there!

Danielle, thanks so much for that - it eases my mind some, except for the maniac driving part lol

Did they do anything since you told them you had medicine? I have read this both ways - tell them you have meds and don't tell them <shrugs> so I am unsure. Does Dr Ortiz or his mom discuss this?

Grats! and glad it went well for you and your friend.

Danielle,

thanks that was great. the more info i have the better i feel. any problems whe you told border control you had meds? thanks again, and stay well, tina

Well...the border patrol guy made a comment when everyone in the suburban said no, they had no meds. He said something to the affect of "you mean you're all medical patients and no one in this vehicle has medication?". That's when I spoke up and pulled out what little I had and showed him. He took a quick look and that was it. I was sooooo scared because I knew some of the passesgers had brought A LOT back with them. I would definately ask what you should and shouldn't do/say. No one bothered to tell me and I was wishing I would have asked!