Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it really work?

Hi,

I am scheduled to be banded next Thursday in Mexico Dr. Ortiz I am so nervous. What if after all of this money it doesn't work? Is that possible? Are there people who get banded and it doesnt work? For those of you who just had it done, what say you? Any words of widsom, advice, tips etc... I weigh 225 and am nervous. Good luck to all of you and thanks. tina

Hi Tina,

Yes, for the majority of people the band does work once you've achieved proper restriction. I love my band. The first 50 pounds came off almost effortlessly, but I am what is known as a rabbit. There are many slow losers on this board, so please don't be disappointed if it comes off slowly. It can take time to obtain a good restriction level, and you're starting off at a lower weight than most bandsters. That said, if you eat by the bandster rules (hard Protein, no drinking with meals, etc) and exercise, you'll do great!

Hi Tina,

For me, the hardest part is waiting for my first fill. The week after surgery I didn't feel like eating at all. Once the swelling went down, my appetite returned and I found I felt no restriction from the band.

Because I will not have a first fill until June 5, I am being very careful to follow the diet and pay attention to real physical hunger as opposed to my usual pattern of eating when I am not truly hungry. In reality, I am sticking to a diet without benefit of the band because I get zero restriction from it. I'm looking forward to the first fill and hoping it produces the restriction that others write about.

Good luck on the surgery.

Hi tinaj,

I was banded on 3-7-06 and have lost a total of 25 pounds so far - 17 of them post-op. I haven't had my first fill yet but I do feel full on a smaller quantity of food. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to recognize when I'm full - I want to eat more than I need - and I worry about hurting my band/stomache from "pouch-packing". The hardest part for me has been to put down and/or throw away the food remaining on my plate after I begin to feel full. In other words, I'm still fighting the head-hungries. I suspect this will be the biggest challenge of being banded.

Hi Tina! Here are a few threads you might want to have a look at. I think they will put your fears to rest:

Before and after pictures of people here at LBT:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4642

Honors page of the Gone for Good Club:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16766

(scroll down to the Honor's Page)

People who have lost over 100 pounds:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16050

Thanks for the replies,

I have checked out the links. I am sure I will be a turtle. the only thing i do fast is eat!!

I was banded on 3/7 and lost 10 pounds preop and 11 so far. Had my first fill 6 weeks out and still don't feel much restriction. It takes time and a lot of patience, but I'm determined this will work. I just have the feeling I'll be a turtle too.

congrats on your banding, i think you and i will need patientce... patience.. patience. good wishes on your continued journey, t

Tinaj--

Best thing I ever did for myself so far!!! :party: Just do exactly what they tell you to do...only baby spoon bites; chew, chew, chew; 60sec. btwn bites and only dish out 3-4 oz on a small plate! Don't ask yourself if your full....ask yourself "Am I still hungry?".....I have lost 37lbs in 34days....all post op!! Didn't do a pre-op diet.....I weigh 100lbs more than you....so you won't lose as fast...but you will lose if you follow the band and use the band as a tool!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs :rolleyes:

I have no regrets at all. I am NOT a fast loser, I am coming up on my 6 month anniversary and I have averaged 6 lbs a month. Right now I am looking at 35 lbs of FAT gone. I dont mind it coming off slowly as long as it comes off. It really does work, I love my band!

Congratulations Tina!

I chose Dr. Ortiz also. I researched about 3-6 months and have read he is great.

How are you feeling with your surgery so close? I can't wait till May 26th to join you - let us know how it goes

melanie and liana,

thanks for your words they are definitely inspirational. How do I feel about my surgery coming up? I am getting apprehensive, not about the procedure but about making this work. I start my pre liquid diet tomorrow and I am nervous about that? I know I have to do it but when I think of no food for a month it is definitely overwhelming. What made you pick May??? I will let you know how i do

Hi Tina,

I was banded on 12/24/03 weighing in at 323 pounds! As of today, I weigh 165 pounds! I heard something on the radio that might be inspirational to all:

No food tastes as good as it feels to be thin.

I'm living proof that the band works. I haven't had any complications and I'm very happy.

Good luck, Rachel.

Tina, I felt the same way!

I just knew that I'd be the person that it didn't work on.

Obviously my mind has been changed (see ticker/info. below)!!

Tips: Do your reading/research.

Know that 1-2 pounds per week is average weight loss.

Your band can be fickle, tight one day and loose the other.

Restriction takes time.

Get support (message boards, support group, etc).

Good luck and welcome! Shawn