Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Newly Banded In Pain?

Hey Everyone,

I haven't posted in a about a week. I am 14 days post op and feel so bloated and nasty. Did anyone else have this feeling? Did anyone else have a hard time taking a "dump" after surgery? Initially, it seemed like the swelling in my stomach was going down. Now, it appears to be swollen again. I wonder if being on my period has anything to do with this. I haven't had much to eat but this bloated feeling will not go away. And what does everyone mean when they say their band feels tight? What exactly does that feel like? Maybe that's what I'm experiencing. Only, I'm tight all day long! HEEEEELLLLP!!!!

Lynn

Are you drinking enough fluids and are you getting enough Protein? I am suppose to get 40 to 60 grams of protein each day. As long as I drink enough Water I don't have any "bathroom" problems. I am 3 1/2 weeks post op. The swelling that went down initially was probably "gas" used in the surgery. I remain somewhat swollen especially at my port site. The more active I am, like walking, the less bloated I am. My Dr. said the swelling wouldn't go down until I'm completely healed. My band hasn't felt tight yet, so I can't help you there. I get my 1st fill at 6 weeks post-op. Good Luck, I hope you feel better soon!

I'm a big fan of Benefiber... it's like Metamucil (that's the area you'd find it in at the store), but tasteless, and non-bulking. I'm sure that would help.

Have you been using Gas-X? Maybe you've got some pent up gas too that could be causing the discomfort. And I'm sure having your period also contributes. Try some Gas-X if you're not already (make sure it's chewable), it's worth a try.

If you think you're 'tight', it's probably cause you're still a little swollen from surgery. I'm only 3 weeks post-op, and I don't think I'm 'tight'. I believe you'd determine this if you had any difficulty with foods going down, or in your case, fluids (or maybe you've moved on to mushies already?)

Anyways, I'd give those things a try! Good luck, and let us know if it gets better!

Mandi

Thnaks, Carol. I guess I'll have to up my Water intake. I feel a LOT better today. Some of the bloating has subsided. I felt like a balloon ready to burst at any moment! It was a horrible feeling. I feel great today. Thanks for your input.

Aragon,

Yeah, I think I've practically O.D.'d on the gas-x. The strips have been a lifesaver for me. I am so happy to be feeling much, much better today. I can definitely tell the inches are coming down. I'm real excited. I will go get some Metamucil/Benefiber or something. I obviously need a little help right now.

Don't get Metamucil! It 'puffs' up and gets really thick when you add the Water... you don't want things that expand in your stomach. Benefiber is 'non-bulking', so it's the best way to go.

lol, you called me Aragon. Isn't that someone from Lord of The Rings? It's Argon (my name on here)... but that's what I get for choosing such a stupid name :Banane56:

Glad you're feeling better.

Mandi

hahahaha!! Mandi (that's easier!) that is too funny! i'll use Mandi from now on. I will look for the benefiber. Dr. Ortiz told me that I am probably experience spasms from drinking too cold beverages. I realized when exactly the pain started on Friday. It was right after I drank a bottle of cold Water. And you know what? I did the same thing again today!!! I have to get out of the habit of drinking stuff with ice, at least for now. It wasn't until AFTER I drank it and the pain began that my husband reminded me. I feel better now. Thanks for your help!

Lynn

hi,

I am getting banded by Dr. Ortiz this coming thursday!!! I am starting off at 225 seems like were pretty close in that department. How tall are you I am 5 4. I hope you get to feeling better!!! tina

Hi Tina,

Congrats to you! You will love Dr. Ortiz I'm sure. He is awesome. I wish I could convince my insurance to make him my primary doctor!! I am 5'6 and now weigh 208 and feel great. Now that I am learning to not drink really cold beverages I'm doing a lot better. I ate a little salad with some grilled chicken yesterday evening. My husband is really helping me to do better. On occasions I do eat, even with small portions, I still tend to put too much on my plate (even using a saucer). So, my husband told me to fix it then divide everything in half and that is generally a safe portion for me. It has worked. I'm still not really hungry though. I can drink a Protein Drink and be just fine. The head hungers are probably moreso what I deal with. I wish you well, Tina. Please let me know how things go for you when you return. Make sure you take gax-x strips with you. They will probably come in handy. Take care!

Lynn