Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apron look removal

Just a quick question for those that have had pcos and have abdominal fat that hangs below the belly.

Is this something that can be removed thru partial way of your weight loss?

I know they say wait until you are at your goal, but the problem that I suffer and many others do to is being able to work out is limited because of this.

Was wondering since I don't go into the doctor until another week, if there are any folks out there that had surgery after half of your weight was lost instead of all your weight

You definitely can, it all depends on your insurance. Some will cover it every 100 pounds weight loss. Others cover it based on skin rashes, how it interferes with mobility,and whether or not it hangs past the pubic area. Still others base it on a combination of this.

Usually they will cover a panniculectomy, which is strictly skin removal. Others will cover an abdominalplasty (aka tummy tuck) but that is more rare.

I can only speak for myself on this one, but I have HUGE apron of skin. I had a huge apron of fat before I was banded now I just look like a Shar Pei naked because I have so much excess skin. I seriously considered having a panniculectomy after I lost the first 100 pounds but I decided to just wait until I lost more weight. I know it's going to be a rough healing process and I just didn't want to go through it twice.

Now, I'll be having an abdominolplasty this spring or summer. I've said all along I was going to do it after I lost 200 pounds and I'm only 7 pounds from that goal now. I'm nervous as heck because I know it's not going to be fun but I'm also very excited to get rid of all this ick hanging off my gut.

Best wishes!

Missy, I am excited for you! I really want my arms done and was planning on it for next year. But now the more I look at them I may have it done this year.....depending on how good Uncle Sam is to me!

I just had a pannelectomy last month. My pannus kept me from walking. It hung to an inch below my knees and had a large ball of fat at the bottom. The more weight I lost, the longer it grew. It had already stretched the skin so my scar was over an inch below my port--and the port was above the incision when I had surgery. :rolleyes: I lost 130 lbs before the pannelectomy, and it was two years past my surgery date. I have read that they don't like to do it until at least one year past the original surgery, no matter how much weight you lose because there are serious problems. The doctor removed 27 lbs. :D I developed a serious kidney infection after because I had such severe diarrhea that by the time I got it cleaned up, the germs were already to my bladder. The antibiotics hid the symptoms, but didn't kill the infection. My advice to anyone who gets any symptom of a bladder infection is to go to their GP. The surgeon is a wonderful man, but the GP is more familiar with you and deals with bladder infections all the time. I wish I had done it. :ph34r: I have lost twenty pounds in the month since the surgery, mostly because I couldn't eat. My doctor unfilled my band, he said for at least two months. I will decide then if I want more liquid in it. I've eaten a few things I shouldn't, but am mostly eating like I did before. I am really pushing the Protein. The doctor in the hospital says I need to eat 134 gms a day to properly heal the surgery. By the time I get that much down with a few veggies, I am stuffed. :blink: I can walk a bit more, and expect to walk more as time goes by. It is great to get out of the wheelchair part of the day. Being able to move around will make it easier to lose the next 75 lbs. I will be at 180 lbs then, which is my first goal. Mindwing

mindwing, you've gone through a lot to get where you are. You're a trooper! Best of luck, looks like you know exactly what you want.