Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone here did/is doing the couch to 5k program?

Just wondering if people have had success with this program

Did the first two days so far and hope to continue and run a 5k this spring!!!

I am! I am on week 6 and ran 20mins straight yesterday! I love the program. I completed it before and my advice is literally stick to the program you will get to he next week and think there is no way I can do this its too hard but your wrong you body can do it but your mind is stopping you. If you struggle slow down but just keep running. Also a heart rate monitor helps you to keep safe. Good luck

P.s the first time I kept repeating weeks as I was worried I couldn't do it and wasted time and ended up giving up but as I said above stick to the program to the letter you will be running a 5k soon! That is my goal just to be able to get outside and run in the spring and summer :)

I've tried to do the program before but didn't complete it. However, it seems like so many people that get WLS start doing 5k walks and runs....it's like a right of passage. lol. I am going to start this week as my Dr's office explained that it's important that I lose weight prior my surgery to ensure success.

I have done it a couple if times. We do it as a group at my job. We meet on Mondays for one run then do the other two on our own. As we are a group if bigger woman, we do each week twice... Making it an 18 week program. We have a "goal" run scheduled in October so start in June. Last year we had over 80 runners from our workplace and 40 of them were from our group. Many were first time 5kers. It has been an awesome experience. I ran my first two years ago and was so proud to reach my goal of running the whole time and coming in with a time under 45 minutes. Now that I am banded (a whole week today!) I am going to be leading this years couch to 10k group.

My suggestion - find a 5k to run in the next couple months and make that your goal. Good luck!

I'm doing one. Next up for me is week 6 and the dreaded 20 minute run. I actually stared about 3 months ago, and have repeated a lot. I didn't move onto the next session until I could actually do the session I was on. I'm not talking about running fast, just jogging/wogging through the run parts.

When I started I could harder do the 60 second run, now I'm doing 9 minutes without too much trouble. Amazing to see how far I've come. You can do it!!

Oh my goodness! I thought I would DIE the first 60 seconds. My time is so slow too. I am thrilled with low 14's! Speed walkers pass me. Lol. But it's all good. Moving our bodies.

Im on week 3! Love it!

Oh my goodness! I thought I would DIE the first 60 seconds. My time is so slow too. I am thrilled with low 14's! Speed walkers pass me. Lol. But it's all good. Moving our bodies.

What do you mean by low 14's?

I did day 3 of my first week and next sunday i'm onto week two!

Running for 60 seconds wasn't too bad in the begining but towards the end I was feeling pooped. I really don't think i can do this, but then again I never thought I could lose 50 lbs either lol :)

Low 14's. minutes per mile. My best 5k was 42 minutes 43 seconds. I'm not fast. Keep at it! Great work.

I keep trying, but it hurts my lower back and I'm doing it on a treadmill with good shoes. Does anyone know how to combat this problem? I really want to get into the 5ks, but I'm not getting anywhere fast when my back hurts.

I did it a few years ago. I had thought that I couldn't run. I was heavy, I was still getting over plantar fasciitis, I was (and am) very chesty, and I have always sucked at things that require stamina. I got a good sports bra (Enell brand), some good running shoes, and a stopwatch. I was amazed at how I progressed. I never got very fast, but I was running! I am getting ready to do it again.

Did day 1 of week two today- man its hard! But I reall love that I can run for 90 seconds multiple times.

Still boggles my mind that the treadmill takes SO much more energy than the elliptical but burns much less calories...

Yes, I'm back at it again. I am going to do Day 4 today. It's definitely not to the point where it's easy or fun yet... But maybe one day? lol. I signed up for a 5k in April, so that's my motivation.

I did W6D1, two nine minute "runs" with a 3 min walk in between. Such an amazing feeling. Up next is the dreaded 20 min "run". Not sure if I will be able to do all 20 minutes, but that's ok. I wasn't able to do the first 90 sec run without sucking some major wind. Look at me now. I will just keep trying until I can do it.