Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can a banded person take Celebrex?

My elbow is inflamed and I informed my doctor that I'm a band patient so they gave me Celebrex, Is this ok for me to take? Due to my workouts it has caused me to give me tendinitis :(

def a question best left answered by your dr. you will most likely get yes and no responses but what answer matters is your dr. like maui said, my dr told me no nsaids. hope your elbow feels better soon

Celebrex is an NSAID and my doctor advised me to take no NSAIDs. I would strongly urge you to check with your LB surgeon before taking them.

I get so frustrated with doctors. You tell them your a band patient and they are so freaking clueless, it really makes me mad!!!!

That's really strange I take celebrex my doc knows IM a lap band patient...it's been ok though hmmmmm what is it that nsaids that we are supposed to avoid? Thanks

ok, I have to get in on this, I was just prescribed Celebrex, haven't taken it yet, I told the dr I was seeing that I'm a lap band patient and he was like so. The subject has never come up with my LB dr for me to take NSAIDS, why are we not supposed to take them?

I was told NSAIDS drugs were fine by lapband surgeon and by my orthopedic surgeon and my GP. I trust all 3 doctors. I have had no issues with my band or my meds. I have spinabifida and have had 9 spinal fusions and take various medications.

I would always follow the advise given to you by your doctor or pharmacist.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss; 156 lbs

Talk to your own Lap Band surgeon to be safe. Not all are against NSAIDS on a case by case basis.

Some advise against NSAIDS because they can cause ulcers, and if a Lap Band patient gets an ulcer, it can cause serious band erosion.

I take Ibuprofen regularly (also a NSAID) but my surgeon is fine with it. I've taken it for years and he says if I haven't had problems before there's no reason to think I'd suddenly start having them now.

So again, talk to your own surgeon. He'll know what's best for you based on your specific history and needs.

Missy to the rescue again for me. I did have hernia repair during my LB surgery and I take Omprazole everyday so I'd better wait till I can call in next week and ask him. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know this.

I had a similar issue recently; my primary care physician is aware that I have a lap band; she told me to take Celebrex until the inflammation went away; 2 weeks MAX; she did not say it was something I needed to take long-term.

I agree with the above posts to check with YOUR doctors, because we are all different.

I have arthritis and have been taking diclofenac for a couple of months after the ortho dr. said to stop taking so much advil. i switched to naproxen for a short time because it was crushable and the diclofenac wasn't but I've since gone back to the diclofenac with doctor's approval. just shows that even doctors have differing opinions. probably comes down to risk/benefit...same as with all meds.

I have arthritis and have been taking diclofenac for a couple of months after the ortho dr. said to stop taking so much advil. i switched to naproxen for a short time because it was crushable and the diclofenac wasn't but I've since gone back to the diclofenac with doctor's approval. just shows that even doctors have differing opinions. probably comes down to risk/benefit...same as with all meds.

Please be very careful with diclofenac. After taking it for a year I had a mini stroke. The doctors couldn't really say why I had it. Later I read several studies that showed people that take prescription strength NSAIDS have a much greater chance of having heart attacks or strokes.

Please be very careful with diclofenac. After taking it for a year I had a mini stroke. The doctors couldn't really say why I had it. Later I read several studies that showed people that take prescription strength NSAIDS have a much greater chance of having heart attacks or strokes.

thanks for letting me know your experience honk. the goal is to lose enough weight to be able to get off all nsaids but I know that will take time so I'll speak to my dr. about this.

Wow great topic everyone. I will wait and call my Dr Monday morning. I've done very well so far. No need to ruin it. Thank u fellow bandsters!! :)